Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 Quick questions:

1) With a Nassau Permit, can I travel to Pa. to go target shooting. Also,

2) I heard ammo is available in Pa. Is it legal to buy ammo in Pa. and bring it back to NY in your car?

Thanks

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,083 Posts
2 Quick questions:

1) With a Nassau Permit, can I travel to Pa. to go target shooting. Also,

2) I heard ammo is available in Pa. Is it legal to buy ammo in Pa. and bring it back to NY in your car?o

Thanks
You have the civil right to take your pistol to any place where it is legal to possess. HOWEVER, you do not have the right to conceal carry it in Pa unless you have a Pa. license. You can use a NY licensed pistol to shoot out of state, at ranges or for hunting.

You can buy ammo out of state and bring it home (rifles/shotguns too). Keep your unloaded pistol and ammo in separate containers in the trunk of your car until you get home. Make no stops in New Jersey or NY City.

The information provided here is legal in nature, it is not to be construed as legal advice, and is for educational and entertainment purposes only.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Sharp Shooter!
494 Posts
As the above posts says yes you can. Don't call attention to yourself. That being said enjoy yourself. Have family there so I have gone for target shooting, USPSA matches. Different environment there compared to here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have the civil right to take your pistol to any place where it is legal to possess. HOWEVER, you do not have the right to conceal carry it in Pa unless you have a Pa. license. You can use a NY licensed pistol to shoot out of state, at ranges or for hunting.

You can buy ammo out of state and bring it home (rifles/shotguns too). Keep your unloaded pistol and ammo in separate containers in the trunk of your car until you get home. Make no stops in New Jersey or NY City.

The information provided here is legal in nature, it is not to be construed as legal advice, and is for educational and entertainment purposes only.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks! Exactly what I needed to know!

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,034 Posts
N

wait a minute i can travel out of state with a ny pistol permit? am i reading this right?
NYS's reach ends at the borders of NYS

·
Registered
275 Posts
Barring an illegal search of your vehicle, how in hell would a Jersey cop know you had a gun/hollow point ammo? Unless you volunteered such info ??? Would you have these items in plain sight? Would you volunteer the info? Would the officer feel threatened by my 75 yr. old apparently unarmed body? Or maybe by my 74 yr. old wife. It happens, I know but thats why some law abiding folks don't think well of us.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Barring an illegal search of your vehicle, how in hell would a Jersey cop know you had a gun/hollow point ammo? Unless you volunteered such info ??? Would you have these items in plain sight? Would you volunteer the info? Would the officer feel threatened by my 75 yr. old apparently unarmed body? Or maybe by my 74 yr. old wife. It happens, I know but thats why some law abiding folks don't think well of us.
There was a post about someone who was a LEO from another state, driving through NJ. He got rear ended and state troopers were called or showed up. They saw his stuff in the trunk, they asked to take a look and the rest is history. I can't verify the accuracy of the post but supposedly he is still fighting the charges to this day. I wish I saved the link to it, but I'd be very careful going through NJ with anything no NJ legal, shit happens.

·
Registered
659 Posts
To date, no "Qualified" LEO'S have been arrested in NJ for carrying HP ammo. A PA correction officer was arrested a few days after an accident, when his firearm was safeguarded for him and it turned out he was carrying HP ammo. PA correction officers, sadly< don't meet the LEOSA standard, as they do not have arrest powers, as defined in LEOSA (HR 218) statute. I believe the case is still pending.

The other case is that of an armored car licensed security guard, caught with HP ammo in his company issued or authorized firearm. That's pending also, but news reports say he was suspended or fired.

So, it is yet to be determined if a LEO, active or retired, who meets the definition for the LEOSA and is qualified, as defined in US 18, 926B, be arrested, despite what the Jersey AG says. Could they be arrested, yes, but would definitely have a payday when all is said and done. That of course, absent any criminal activity.

·
Registered
322 Posts
To date, no "Qualified" LEO'S have been arrested in NJ for carrying HP ammo. A PA correction officer was arrested a few days after an accident, when his firearm was safeguarded for him and it turned out he was carrying HP ammo. PA correction officers, sadly< don't meet the LEOSA standard, as they do not have arrest powers, as defined in LEOSA (HR 218) statute. I believe the case is still pending.
It wasn't one of these 2 cases. I've been trying to find the incident but haven't been able to. It was a cop from one of the southern states and he had gotten rear ended.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
This is very important. Don't even take target hollow points or anything that could in any way shape or form be conceived of as a hollow point through NJ. I have heard stories that even out of state LEOs get arrested there for having hollow points.
Haven't heard a TRUE case yet of LEOSA person getting in trouble for HPs in NJ.....

BUT it is funny that in my last class for it, they recommend carrying the filled in hps from Hornady critical-defense

·
Registered
12,255 Posts

The other case is that of an armored car licensed security guard, caught with HP ammo in his company issued or authorized firearm. That's pending also, but news reports say he was suspended or fired.

So, it is yet to be determined if a LEO, active or retired, who meets the definition for the LEOSA and is qualified, as defined in US 18, 926B, be arrested, despite what the Jersey AG says. Could they be arrested, yes, but would definitely have a payday when all is said and done. That of course, absent any criminal activity.
Unfortunately, Correction Officers in Pennsylvania Do not have any arrest powers off Duty which is required under LEOSA. The Pennsylvania Correction Officer was a Sergeant involved in a traffic accident. I did speak to a Pennsylvania Constable that was stopped by NJSP Troopers for his unmarked vehicle looking suspicious. The Troopers disarmed him and removed the magazine and luckily for him he carried Hornady Critical Defense. They gave him a hard time, luckily he was covered under LEOSA. He since placed official decals on his vehicle to avoid a future problem when traveling out of state.

·
Registered
659 Posts
As I stated, PA correction a no go for LEOSA. And yes, PA Constables are good to go under LEOSA. CASE LAW from NYC, around 2004 or 2005 if memory serves me. PA constable get arrested, Judge admonished the Manhattan DA and the PD. NYPD wanted to let him go, after taking him back to the station house, but the Manhattan DA told them to collar him. The PC Kelly had to put out an interim order, basically telling members of the service, to take it into the station house for investigation before making an arrest, if they had questions about status.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
As I stated, PA correction a no go for LEOSA. And yes, PA Constables are good to go under LEOSA. CASE LAW from NYC, around 2004 or 2005 if memory serves me. PA constable get arrested, Judge admonished the Manhattan DA and the PD. NYPD wanted to let him go, after taking him back to the station house, but the Manhattan DA told them to collar him. The PC Kelly had to put out an interim order, basically telling members of the service, to take it into the station house for investigation before making an arrest, if they had questions about status.
Around 2003 there was a gentleman that came in to report an incident where he claimed to have dissuaded an individual that wanted to fight. He claimed to have a carry license under the federal government. This was pre HR 218. Many Federal Agencies Do Not allow a Federal Agent to carry a firearm period. Under New York CPL they are classified as Peace Officers. It's definitely interesting learning about certain agencies that have no arrest power once they are out of their GAOE.

·
Registered
337 Posts

ALMOST correct. The case was not in regards to the ammo, it was in regards to the gun. Since he was not covered under LEOSA he had no authority to carry concealed in PA. The gun was discovered when he was transported to the hospital.

However, I believe Christie was still Governor and they made the case go away.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts