Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filled out my application for a building permit for the Town of Islip.
First, they charge $200 for the application now. last year it was $20. guess they need money because my property taxes are so low.

Very nice lady working at the counter of the building department.
But i guess that's where they keep the nice people.
Today I get a meesage.
My application has been denied because my house is near "wet lands" , ( a man made pond about 100 yards away)

Denied. Because of "wet lands".
Because somehow installing solar panels on my roof may effect wetlands.
Installing a roof doesn't effect wetlands. But putting solar panels on top of the roof does.

They suggested I contact the DEC to get a waiver or some similar nonsense.

What kind of idiots do my exorbitant taxes pay to hire?
BTW, these wet lands are on the nature preserve that the Town of Islip tried to sell to a developer but because people found out and fought it stopped that from happening.
The reason we won was because the land was donated to the town for the singular use as a nature preserve.
So they couldn't sell it to a developer.
But they still tried didn't they? Corrupt, lazy POS.

I hate this liberal sinkhole and can't wait to retire and GTFO.
Government is where incompetence shines.

I intend on calling tomorrow during business hours. Not during lunch time.
They don't answer the phone too much during "lunchtime".
Evidently everyone that can answer a phone goes to lunch at the same time. At least I heard some lazy man sitting at a desk say to the ringing phone, " That's it. Call at lunchtime" with an annoyed attitude.
Of course he didn't answer it.
Here's a newsflash for that moron.
Some people who actually work for a living can only call during lunch hours.
If your closed then, then you should list your hours that way. If not, answer the damn phone you lazy POS.

But I digress.
I want to know the name of the actual rocket scientist that denied my roof installed solar panels because of "wet lands" that's not even on my property or near my home.
The roof certainly has nothing to do with wetlands that's for sure.

They'd have to work hard to climb up to the level of Doucheranger.

Thank you for the opportunity to rant.

Did I say i hate this liberalsinkhole?
Well I do.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I hate to break it to you but Islip is one of the most difficult towns to deal with regarding ANY construction requiring a permit.
Print out a copy of the FEMA firm map locating your house, bring a survey and make an appointment to meet with a plans examiner.
Explain it to them. Sad reality is they'll probably require a variance, i. e. More money for them.

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its what ruins those types of jobs. They never have fear of losing there job like the rest of the reg workers out there. so they do as little as possible. So I assume getting solar on your house requires a permit and inspection of the home huh?
No they don't inspect squat.
They want a letter from the electrician that hooks it up.
All they really care about is their fees.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
having a " man made " structure ( road or similar ) between you and the " wetlands" should exempt you from the dec. However you will still need a letter of exemption from them . I hired a pro to get mine.

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
Yeah, I don't get how adding solar panels to an existing structure makes it somehow more encroaching on anything… wetlands included. The footprint of your house has not changed.
I wonder if they'd give you the same crap for adding a dormer? Are they trying to phase out properties in that area (like not being able to will an AR to a family member)?

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
having a " man made " structure ( road or similar ) between you and the " wetlands" should exempt you from the dec. However you will still need a letter of exemption from them . I hired a pro to get mine.
For solar on an existing roof.
The house is there. It has a roof.
You don't need a wetlands exemption to reshingle.
You don't need a wetlands exemption to install a skylight.
You don't need a wetlands exemption to install gutters.
You don't need a wetlands exemption to install an exterior light on the overhang.

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hate to break it to you but Islip is one of the most difficult towns to deal with regarding ANY construction requiring a permit.
Print out a copy of the FEMA firm map locating your house, bring a survey and make an appointment to meet with a plans examiner.
Explain it to them. Sad reality is they'll probably require a variance, i. e. More money for them.
Town of Babylon is no picnic either.
There's something about government that either attracts the worst people or allows them to thrive. Or both.
Not that all employees are bad. But way too many are.
And they get away with the most ridiculous things.
There is no accountability.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Im sure all of the towns are the same. I went through it with Brookhaven trying to get a building permit to add on to my detached garage. Im on a little over 3/4 acre. Ive got a 22x30 and I wanted to add a 20x24 addition to the back and make it L shaped. Got a fantastic price from a local builder friend of mine. Checked with all my neighbors. They all said no problem. Than I went to town hall.
Turns out a tiny pie slice of my property falls into the historic district. These idiots wanted wood shingles, true divided windows, carriage doors, period correct trim. This was all on a garage that was originally built in 82 or 83. Meanwhile my house that was built in 1900 had vinyl siding and Andersen windows. It was such a hassle that I decided not to do it. Six months later I replaced my doors, windows and had it sided to match my house.
These people in positions like that really suck.

·
Patience
1,741 Posts
I live in a wetlands so I know how this works.
First, pull up the wetlands map from the DEC website for your home.
Determine how far you are from that wetland.
If you fall within the distance determined for that classification, you just need to get a permit from the DEC. It's fairly easy, do it yourself and takes about 3 weeks for no brainier type stuff.
Just because YOU don't think its a wetland, so doesnt mean the DEC doesn't.
The DEC folks are decent people; give them a fair shake.
Also, check your property on the county website. Chances are it has been flagged because that's what he building depts go by usually. Getting it unflagged requires an international court hearing.

Case in point are the EPA Regs that now include ruts on a farmers field if it contributes eventually to a regulated water.

·
Patience
1,741 Posts
Im sure all of the towns are the same. I went through it with Brookhaven trying to get a building permit to add on to my detached garage. Im on a little over 3/4 acre. Ive got a 22x30 and I wanted to add a 20x24 addition to the back and make it L shaped. Got a fantastic price from a local builder friend of mine. Checked with all my neighbors. They all said no problem. Than I went to town hall.
Turns out a tiny pie slice of my property falls into the historic district. These idiots wanted wood shingles, true divided windows, carriage doors, period correct trim. This was all on a garage that was originally built in 82 or 83. Meanwhile my house that was built in 1900 had vinyl siding and Andersen windows. It was such a hassle that I decided not to do it. Six months later I replaced my doors, windows and had it sided to match my house.
These people in positions like that really suck.
You can fight these folks with a well prepared presentation and good photos. Just don't hire pros. When you do, you're sunk. Go it as a homeowner. Been there.

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
I live in a wetlands so I know how this works.
First, pull up the wetlands map from the DEC website for your home.
Determine how far you are from that wetland.
If you fall within the distance determined for that classification, you just need to get a permit from the DEC. It's fairly easy, do it yourself and takes about 3 weeks for no brainier type stuff.
Just because YOU don't think its a wetland, so doesnt mean the DEC doesn't.
The DEC folks are decent people; give them a fair shake.
Also, check your property on the county website. Chances are it has been flagged because that's what he building depts go by usually. Getting it unflagged requires an international court hearing.

Case in point are the EPA Regs that now include ruts on a farmers field if it contributes eventually to a regulated water.
You seem to feel this is understandable.
we're not talking about an extension. we're not talking about a new building.
We're talking about solar panels ON TOP OF AN EXISTING ROOF for Pete's sake!
How in even the most remotely anal environmentaly concerned bureaucratic mind can solar panels on an existing roof impact wet lands in any manner shape or form?
Could it be Canadian geese flying overhead may not like to poop on it?

Explain to me how an existing roof can possibly be wetlands?

The reason I don't think it's wet lands is because my roof isn't wet lands. The reason I think my dog is my dog and not a cat is because he's a dog.
My Uncle isn't my aunt, My car isn't my toaster oven and Kaitlen jenner isn't a woman no matter how many petite functionires in government say they are.

This is idiocy. And I should do what they want?
F them.
I intend to point out their idiocy.
Right now I fill like I'd pay a lawyer to sue the town before I'd spend 5 minutes on the phone with the DEC.

Perhaps your way would be much easier cheaper and less stressful.
In fact I'm sure it is.
But I dislike this nonsense and that goes against my grain.
I will call then out on their stupidity before i do anything else.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You can fight these folks with a well prepared presentation and good photos. Just don't hire pros. When you do, you're sunk. Go it as a homeowner. Been there.
Most people that heard what was going on back then all said to put it up without a permit and worry about it later. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I just didn't need the aggravation. I knew a local guy from the historical group and when I spoke to him he acted like a complete a hole. Now when I see him at the local parades hes always passing out fliers for one of the groups in town. As soon as he starts to walk up to me I tell him to keep going and shove the papers up his butt.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Most people that heard what was going on back then all said to put it up without a permit and worry about it later. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I just didn't need the aggravation. I knew a local guy from the historical group and when I spoke to him he acted like a complete a hole. Now when I see him at the local parades hes always passing out fliers for one of the groups in town. As soon as he starts to walk up to me I tell him to keep going and shove the papers up his butt.
Except that most towns are wise to this approach and come down hard on you.
Stop work order as soon as a nosey neighbor calls, then my town is FOUR TIMES THE PERMIT fee if caught working without a permit. And if what you're building doesn't meet code, both building and zoning they can make you take it down or file for a variance with the possibility of still having to tear it down even after all their fees.
Of course this doesn't include any towns that have historic, wetlands or architectural review boards..
Whole other set of problems with those.
Those are the risks if you're going to play games.

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
Filled out my application for a building permit for the Town of Islip.
First, they charge $200 for the application now. last year it was $20. guess they need money because my property taxes are so low.

Very nice lady working at the counter of the building department.
But i guess that's where they keep the nice people.
Today I get a meesage.
My application has been denied because my house is near "wet lands" , ( a man made pond about 100 yards away)

Denied. Because of "wet lands".
Because somehow installing solar panels on my roof may effect wetlands.
Installing a roof doesn't effect wetlands. But putting solar panels on top of the roof does.

They suggested I contact the DEC to get a waiver or some similar nonsense.

What kind of idiots do my exorbitant taxes pay to hire?
BTW, these wet lands are on the nature preserve that the Town of Islip tried to sell to a developer but because people found out and fought it stopped that from happening.
The reason we won was because the land was donated to the town for the singular use as a nature preserve.
So they couldn't sell it to a developer.
But they still tried didn't they? Corrupt, lazy POS.

I hate this liberal sinkhole and can't wait to retire and GTFO.
Government is where incompetence shines.

I intend on calling tomorrow during business hours. Not during lunch time.
They don't answer the phone too much during "lunchtime".
Evidently everyone that can answer a phone goes to lunch at the same time. At least I heard some lazy man sitting at a desk say to the ringing phone, " That's it. Call at lunchtime" with an annoyed attitude.
Of course he didn't answer it.
Here's a newsflash for that moron.
Some people who actually work for a living can only call during lunch hours.
If your closed then, then you should list your hours that way. If not, answer the damn phone you lazy POS.

But I digress.
I want to know the name of the actual rocket scientist that denied my roof installed solar panels because of "wet lands" that's not even on my property or near my home.
The roof certainly has nothing to do with wetlands that's for sure.

They'd have to work hard to climb up to the level of Doucheranger.

Thank you for the opportunity to rant.

Did I say i hate this liberalsinkhole?
Well I do.
Consider yourself lucky, we filed to raise our home with NY Rising, we recieved a notice from the city that our home was substantially damaged and we must either elevate or tear it down, imagine getting a notice to tear your house down, how that would ring your bell. We were approved to raise the house three feet, four feet below the minimum of seven feet, at the three feet lift we would still be forced to tear down our home, we are still fighting the battle to have our case reviewed. The award was 36k from which we would have to pay back 30k from our flood insurance settlement for a whopping 6k bailout on a 150k job. Just imagine coming home every day not knowing if you have to tear down your home.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.