Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left work planning on hitting a few stores to price pistols and make a decision before the Yaphank shuffle next week.

First stop, Coliseum...
I've shopped here before and bought my second pistol here. Never had any bad times... until now. Ok, so they were a bit busy. I looked through the cases and checked prices. Waited patiently for 20 minutes or so before being asked if I needed help, I explained that I was deciding on a purchase but wanted to look at guns "A", "B" & others in the same price range.

He chuckled, said "There are quite a few of those. Why don't you look around and let me know when you know what you want." He quickly proceeded to help the next guy that was waiting beside me. I stood there for a second thinking "I kinda know what I want... but that is why I ASKED YOU TO SHOW ME SOME MERCHANDISE." I wasted enough time here and left to spend my money elsewhere.

Stop #2, Southshore Sportsman...
As always, a great help. I explained that I was looking to get a pistol in about a week. I was able to check out some pistols and got a great explanation regarding what would suit me. Got a quote on my decision and said hello to a fellow LIF member :)

Headed home and made a call to a bud regarding my decision. Friend of his said to check out T&T and it was on the way home, so why not?

Stop #3, T&T...
Had never gone there before and it's a nice shop. Looked around a bit and asked to see a pistol. It happened to be a little more expensive that SSS and when I asked what it shipped with (number of mags and accessories) the employee admitted he really didn't know. I thanked him for his help and moved on.

On a whim... Stop #4, LISC...
I recognized some faces right away and went to see what was on the shelves. The caliber I was looking for was not available but is on order (or can be special ordered if I left a deposit). A few other models I was interested in were not available either, so I didn't get to actually touch anything from the case. I'm not positive, but I think it was Kenny that helped me. He was courteous though. One of my better experiences in there.

He quoted a price for the pistol that I had decided on and it was priced $10 less than the lowest of the other shops I had visited... for a cash price though. (But it was not currently available.) Not sure what I would be charged if I wanted to put it on my card... didn't feel the need to ask either. Taxes would still have to be paid either way and I feel better paying with plastic.

As I was walking out the guys at "the bar" wished me a goodnight as I left. As I got into my car, an older gentleman came out and ensured me that whatever I was looking for they would be able to help me get. He seemed very sincere and I explained that they didn't have the pistols that I was looking for in stock. Nice man though. I got the feeling that he may have been the owner...or one of.

So where am I at?
Mike and his crew at SSS get a big thumbs up; and although his price was a few dollars more than the lowest price I found I'll be going back to drop a deposit so that they can hold my purchase. Whenever I tell my wife I'll be stopping to check out some guns she always says "Don't become that guy." You know, the regular that keeps showing up to "look around" and starts to become a P.I.T.A. ;) But the guys there have been a great help with my decision making.

Now, this is going to be a long couple of days...

·
Tactical Shrubbery!!
3,802 Posts
Great Story....  Hope it works out!!

·
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update! (I couldn't wait) After a morning drive to the city and back again... I figured, "Yappy Shuffle!" So with around 300 new miles clocked onto my odometer for the day I am a proud owner of a new S&W M&P 9 from the great guys at South Shore Sportsman. Two thumbs and two big toes pointing way up for those guys.

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
Great to hear! Lets see some pics of the new toy  8)

·
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vertiviper said:
Great to hear! Lets see some pics of the new toy 8)
Shortly ;) laundry, dishes, dogs need walking... have to keep the wife happy after this purchase :p

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
CaptainMitchell said:
Update! (I couldn't wait) After a morning drive to the city and back again... I figured, "Yappy Shuffle!" So with around 300 new miles clocked onto my odometer for the day I am a proud owner of a new S&W M&P 9 from the great guys at South Shore Sportsman. Two thumbs and two big toes pointing way up for those guys.
No kidding!? When were you there??? a few of us were there... shuffling guns and licenses like playing cards this afternoon!

·
Moved to Texas!!
2,260 Posts
Nice choice. I picked up an M&P .45c just the other day. I also need to get to the range  :)

·
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nyguns said:
Nice choice. I picked up an M&P .45c just the other day. I also need to get to the range :)
I was looking at the .45 but weighed the cost of ammo and wen't with the 9. In time... I will have them ALL! MWAA-HA-HA-HA!

·
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OH UNCLE PAUL said:
Nice piece now you need to look into a Crimson Trace laser grip for it. Also check out this forum for all kinds of M&P stuff.
http://mp-pistol.com/boards/
+1 on the laser grip... but that is half the cost of the gun ;) one day.

Thanks for that link!

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
Nice gun.....I really miss buying guns out on LI. I bought a S&W 500 today and have to wait 2 weeks for the judge up here in Rockland County to sign off on it. It's gonna be a long wait.

·
Banned
5,707 Posts
yup - if you bought from south shore there range night is tomorrow night 9/24 @ Mitchel Field from 7:30 - 9:30

im gonna be there with noarguy - winters - and more

let me know if your coming we can shoot together.

·
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
_ said:
yup - if you bought from south shore there range night is tomorrow night 9/24 @ Mitchel Field from 7:30 - 9:30

im gonna be there with noarguy - winters - and more

let me know if your coming we can shoot together.
Wait... WHAT? If you buy from SS you can shoot with them at MF? Do I need to bring a receipt? Do they have a club to join (like T&T?) Do I need to call ahead?

Let me know because I would love to go.

·
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
_ said:
just show up - if you have a serial number that came out of SSS you shoot - you can call mike to confirm but ill see you tomorrow night I guess.
Yes indeed ;D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.