Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally bought a Weber grill, a small 2 burner. It has the 'cast iron' grates/cooking surface. I've heard that I should season them. Is this necessary? What's the best way to season them?

·
Banned
6,368 Posts
For a regular grill it really isn't necessary. But if you want to, stop by the butcher and ask for fat back. They will usually give it to you for free. Put it on the grill at the lowest setting and let it go until they are crispy. This will coat everything with the grease and the heat will open the pores of the steel.

Reactions: Aquabach

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Always season cast iron.

Cooking bacon or any type of fat will season the interior of your grill very nicely. It should be done to every new grill after the initial burn-in which cures the paint/powder coating.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Cast iron, unless already seasoned, should be seasoned to make it more nonstick.

It's so easy to do.
  1. Heat the grill (medium to medium hi)
  2. Rub with oil like canola
  3. Let it cool.
  4. That's basically it.
Every time you use the grill, heat it up then rub it with oil. It will build up the nonstick nature of the cast iron grates.

For the first few times you use it, use a grill brush after you cook and get it good and clean and then, while it's still warm, rub it with oil and wipe off the excess.

It's just like seasoning a cast iron pan.

Reactions: BUGZ

·
Banned
4,735 Posts
I bought this one but have not used it yet. I am going to lime rock this saturday with my nephews so it will finally be used...3 years later!
I seasoned the grill when I bought it as per instructions even if only to burn off whatever they have floating around, in the chinese air, off the grill.
http://home.woot.com/offers/fuego-element-portable-gas-grill
for the record, it is almost half the price I paid now. argh.

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
If seasoning means go to Jetmore buy a set of stainless grates and throw away the cast iron, yes go ahead and season them. Got rid of my cast grills a month ago best thing I ever did.
Biggest mistake i made when buying my Weber was trying to save $50 by not buying the stainless insides model in the first place. Within the first 3 years, they rotted away and I bought new stainless grates and flavorizers. Grill is now at least 15 years old and never had another problem.

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
Finally bought a Weber grill, a small 2 burner. It has the 'cast iron' grates/cooking surface. I've heard that I should season them. Is this necessary? What's the best way to season them?
BTW, if it is a weber and you have cast iron the grates they are coated with porcelain enamel, seasoning will do absolutely nothing, and they are supposed to in flat side up.

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW, if it is a weber and you have cast iron the grates they are coated with porcelain enamel, seasoning will do absolutely nothing, and they are supposed to in flat side up.
I'll have to take a better look at the coating.
As for the flat side up, I see all were displayed like that, and the instructions showed it also. Any advantage to it? 'Cause I kind of like the thin grill marks I get with the flat side down.

·
Premium Member
3,874 Posts
As for the flat side up, I see all were displayed like that, and the instructions showed it also. Any advantage to it? 'Cause I kind of like the thin grill marks I get with the flat side down.
It's broken... Now grill us something with your defective grill!
I have to look at my weber tonight - it's a three year old model I got from a divorce sale, and I always assumed the grill surface was just cast (it doesn't look like they are coated). I know the flavorizer bars are porcelain coated (I just replaced them).

·
Registered
508 Posts
Season them and they should last forever without any sticking. I started out by flipping them over (flat side up as I see it) and seasoning the backs a few times. Then, I seasoned the other side. Seasoning leaves a coating that not only helps with rusting, etc.

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
Its up to you, I always did it small side up until I had a guest over that advised me differently, I went to Jetmore and found the guy was right, I don't think it matters the grill isn't going to disintegrate or anything, I guess you could do what I did, get a year our of the cast iron and switch them out to stainless if you feel the need. By the end of your first year if you do a lot of grilling the porcelain coating is gone either way. For us one of the grand kids got a small chunk of flaked off rust on their burger, nothing that was going to hurt anyone, just enough for me to switch over.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
when i get new grills I always heat them for 10 minuets with some oil or ask the butcher at your supper market for some fat slice thin and cook them on the grill till all the gress is gone then let it cool.

Reactions: frank57

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Heat and do a dry run to season the inside of the grill. Then shut off flame and lightly coat grates with olive oil. Then just cook some nice fatty meat on a regular basis.

I also lightly coat most things in olive oil before placing on the grill. Helps with the chat and makes things not stick.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.