Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Light with this message just came on. Tires are good to how with 35 pounds all four, plus spare.
How do you know which sensor is at fault without breaking down each wheel at a time & luck?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
pull the fuse... you checked them and all good... one more thing to drive you crazy
OR
how did I ever live before they had them. If i get a flat I know it.

For real, I'd deflate half way each tire and re inflate hoping the sensor works by flexing it and its not the battery

·
Uh-oh...
12,517 Posts
Automatic message - This topic has been moved from All Other - Open Discussions to Car / Truck talk

Tire pressure warning, or TPMS System fault? Year/make of vehicle?

The 8 year old sensors in my wheels are overdue to be changed. I'll get a random TPMS System fault, usually when it's real cold, but I did get one two weeks ago.

My wife's '05 Corolla uses the ABS system to read individual wheel speed to determine when a tire is low. No sensors. My Chevy needs new sensors, but I'm holding off until I get new tires before winter.

Shops have a hand held sensor "reader" that can determine the culprit sensor.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Thanks the feds for this one. It's been mandated for several years now. True, reliable systems costs a couple thousand bucks and are made for race cars. What's installed in your car is designed to comply with federal regulations as cheaply as possible . This way car manufacturers can spend money on things that the market actually demands in a vehicle.

It is curious that prior to these systems being mandated there was no outcry from the public and a demand from the free market to have them included in vehicles. There were no advertisements from car manufacturers bragging that they had the best TPMS in the industry. Yet somehow this system that the market has no significant need for is SO critical that the feds mandate it.

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
I'm lucky not yet to have purchased a car with these useless abominations. I buy a car new and keep it 'til the wheels fall off. Next year, probably.

How much do these things add to the cost of new tires? Isn't there a hack for most cars to ignore them? Can you just install ordinary tire valves?

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I'm lucky not yet to have purchased a car with these useless abominations. I buy a car new and keep it 'til the wheels fall off. Next year, probably.

How much do these things add to the cost of new tires? Isn't there a hack for most cars to ignore them? Can you just install ordinary tire valves?
For the idiots that think all a car takes is gasoline, and no other maintenance. Add the stupid check engine light to this nonsense.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Actually a quite useful system.
Feds did it right this time
Do you truly believe that a federal regulation like this is a good thing both in substance and in principle? You would be part of a very small minority then. You believe that because you find something useful that it should be mandatory? If this is so useful to the consumer then why was the auto industry not rushing to sell it to the public before it was mandated?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have read about people taking these off there wheels and putting them in a homemade pvc tube with a valve stem and filling to the required pressure. Then putting them in the vehicle just so it keeps the dash light off.

Reactions: Parashooter

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
For those who have the light come on in winter, don't forget to check the pressure in your spare (if you have one). That's the tire that never gets checked and as the temperature drops, so does the pressure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.