Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,377 Posts
With deflators like those, you can dial in exact pressure that you want the tires to be at when deflated.
You just screw them on and walk away from them. They will stop deflating when desired psi is reached.
I've had the Staun deflators and the cheap non-adjustable type.
The cheap non-adjustable type are fine if you keep checking the pressure.

Both work well and have their uses.
If it's just for the beach permit, just get the cheap ones.
If you're rockcrawling or mudding and the difference between 4psi and 8psi is critical for traction, then get the Stauns.

The sad part is that at the beach they want you to air down to 1/2 of the pressure on the tires.
The pressure on my tire's sidewall is 50psi, so half is 25psi.
Riding on the beach at 25psi will do NOTHING for traction, it doesn't increase your footprint or allow for better floating.
I typically run 16 to 18psi on the beach.

Hope it answered your question
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
definitely helps with the decision.. I'm probably only going to use them at the beach for the foreseeable future.  Ideally, i'm looking to get my line in the water as soon as possible so anything to speed up the process would be a plus.  How quick to these work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,377 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
I know two guys that used them and both had problems were tires went completely flat they wont use them any more not worth the trouble
papabear
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,377 Posts
PaPaBear said:
I know two guys that used them and both had problems were tires went completely flat they wont use them any more not worth the trouble
papabear
You need to actually set the deflators lowest PSI before leaving them alone. LOL
Best to set it on a spare tire or have an air compressor handy.
After they are set, you can leave them alone and air down with no issues or flat tires.
I can guarantee those people that had flat tires never set the deflators or didn't pay attention when airing down the first time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,881 Posts
they were brothers they both used them for a bout a month be for going bad they new how to use them only one went bad at a time tree tires were good one went flat they have pumps on there trucks as they both bin fishing since there kids
papabear
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,377 Posts
PaPaBear said:
they were brothers they both used them for a bout a month be for going bad they new how to use them only one went bad at a time tree tires were good one went flat they have pumps on there trucks as they both bin fishing since there kids
papabear
There are alot of knockoff brands with deflators.
If you don't have Staun, then it might be junk.
My Stauns were used for about 2 years before I sold them.
Worked 100% of the time and aired down to the PSI that I set.
Every once in a while I'd check them to play it safe, but never had any issues in two years of heavy useage on the beach and offroading upstate and at Rausch Creek.

The only thing with the preset deflators is that it takes a while for it to air down when it's nearing the final preset PSI.
The non-adjustable deflators are super fast and you need to pay attention when deflating them. I only used 2 at a time due to their speed.
They are almost the equivalent to removing the core on the valve stem. If you don't pay attention, your tire will be flat before you know it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,150 Posts
A little off topic but ...... I run 33x12.50's on 10" wheels at 25 psi on my 3/4 ton suburban all the time.

45 or 50 psi knocks my filling out & when I did the "chalk test" anything over 25 psi crowns the tire wearing out the centers.

Taking the truck out at Jones Beach or Democrat I do not air down any further without any problems.

 

·
The Sysop
Joined
·
36,800 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,377 Posts
Sport454 said:
A little off topic but ...... I run 33x12.50's on 10" wheels at 25 psi on my 3/4 ton suburban all the time.

45 or 50 psi knocks my filling out & when I did the "chalk test" anything over 25 psi crowns the tire wearing out the centers.

Taking the truck out at Jones Beach or Democrat I do not air down any further without any problems.

In all honesty most vehicles don't need to air down the tires for our beaches, However.... Lots of inexperienced drivers get a little too heavy with the skinny pedal and start spinning tires.
Spinning tires = digging tire size ruts in the sand = lots of digging to get unstuck

If you're easy on the gas pedal, even in soft sand, you shouldn't get stuck.
Airing down the tires gives you a larger footprint and less of a chance of spinning tires even in soft sand.
It's just a precaution, and you won't destroy the beach for everyone else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
i hope i am not breaking any rules for offering this, if so, mods please delete...

I own a tire supply warehouse and i would be glad to offer a LIF discount to any members that want a set of 4 simple 2-way valve tool/deflators and a light truck pen gauge. It isn't the fancy psi regulated deflators, but rather simple, screw on pieces that deflate the air until you take them off. the other side of the tool has a valve core tool in it.

my warehouse is in farmingdale, PM me if you want to schedule pickup during business hours

4 "2-way valve core tools" and 1 light truck pen gauge for $5. We retail them to the public for $12

here are pics:
 

·
The Sysop
Joined
·
36,800 Posts
robotussin said:
I own a tire supply warehouse and i would be glad to offer a LIF discount to any members that want a set of 4 simple 2-way valve tool/deflators and a light truck pen gauge. It isnt the fancy psi regulated deflators, but rather simple, screw on pieces that deflate the air until you take them off. the other side of the tool has a valve core tool in it.

my warehouse is in farmingdale, PM me if you want to schedule pickup during business hours

4 "2-way valve core tools" and 1 light truck pen gauge for $5. We retail them to the public for $12

here are pics:
Nice! Folks just keep in mind that you need to know when to remove them or your tires WILL run to 0 PSI.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

Bought a pair for $68 shipped. Used them this past weekend and they worked great. One overshot the 18 lb preset by a few pounds but it just needs a slight adjustment. Definitely a time saver.. figure 10-15 min per use. Now if i could only find a way to cut down my washing time once I get home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,377 Posts
peteinsuffolk said:
Update

Bought a pair for $68 shipped. Used them this past weekend and they worked great. One overshot the 18 lb preset by a few pounds but it just needs a slight adjustment. Definitely a time saver.. figure 10-15 min per use. Now if i could only find a way to cut down my washing time once I get home.
Lawn sprinkler left under your truck takes care of the sand and salt water. ;)
the rest is up to you.
And a coating of wd40 on the undercarriage before the beach will male clean up easier and prevent rust
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
O1SalsaX said:
Lawn sprinkler left under your truck takes care of the sand and salt water. ;)
the rest is up to you.
And a coating of wd40 on the undercarriage before the beach will male clean up easier and prevent rust
I've been doing the sprinkler trick but I still move it a few times to make sure I get everything.. I'm lazy.. i want something like a 6x10 matrix of misters that I drive over that will completely rinse the undercarriage. ;D
 

·
The Sysop
Joined
·
36,800 Posts
peteinsuffolk said:
I've been doing the sprinkler trick but I still move it a few times to make sure I get everything.. I'm lazy.. i want something like a 6x10 matrix of misters that I drive over that will completely rinse the undercarriage. ;D
Get two sprinklers.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top