1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Add Him to the list of gutless cowards.
Now now.
Let's not be so quick to pick on him.
Sure he's a POS but he killed himself.
Saving the taxpayers literally $millions in a trial, and in incarcerating the POS.

If we can't prevemt the POS of this world from hurting people we should at least encourage them to eat the gun IMO.

· Registered
508 Posts
Time to ban LIBERAL professors.
There are some of us who are conservative, who hunt (when they can), who are NRA members, USPSA members, IDPA members, etc.
We also believe that the purpose of higher education is to train and educate. The purpose of the education is so that young people can develop the background to make their own decisions. The purpose to train is to provide specific skills in the discipline.
True, we are the minority (I would say realistically closer to 2-3% rather than 0.56%). It's hard. We are fewer in terms of percentage than say licensed pistol owners in Nassau County, but we are here.

· Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
I could not care less if my Anatomy or Computational Linguistics professor was a liberal or a conservative. These were so information dense classes that there was no time for anything but linguistics.

I took philosophy for fun and as many classes as I possibly could with the most liberal of professors and enjoyed it immensely. He had a brilliant mind. We rarely had similar opinions, but that is what made his classes so much fun.

Higher education is not just skills training. It exposes the students to all sorts of different ideas and beliefs and it is good that it does. Young minds should develop in many different directions. We are not children any more when we go to college. We can chose what to accept and what to ignore. We pick our own classes except for the ones mandatory for our major. "Liberal" classes are not inflicted upon us. Should we not take a Calculus class from a brilliant mathematician because she is a Liberal? Come on, we are better than this.

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
I could not care less if my Anatomy or Computational Linguistics professor was a liberal or a conservative. These were so information dense classes that there was no time for anything but linguistics.

I took philosophy for fun and as many classes as I possibly could with the most liberal of professors and enjoyed it immensely. He had a brilliant mind. We rarely had similar opinions, but that is what made his classes so much fun.

Higher education is not just skills training. It exposes the students to all sorts of different ideas and beliefs and it is good that it does. Young minds should develop in many different directions. We are not children any more when we go to college. We can chose what to accept and what to ignore. We pick our own classes except for the ones mandatory for our major. "Liberal" classes are not inflicted upon us. Should we not take a Calculus class from a brilliant mathematician because she is a Liberal? Come on, we are better than this.
I agree with you, education is to the human mind what water is to a plant. It feeds, nurtures and allows it to grow.
BUT, academia in this country today is more an indoctrination into liberal thinking and is so heavily biased that the true objectives of higher education have shifted to be significantly politically skewed.
The bias has always existed but it was often beneath the surface. Today it is in your face, take it or leave it, no room for dialog or compromise, I'm right you are wrong, garbage.
There are fine instructors, teachers, professors working hard at some fine institutions but they are a significant minority at a significant disadvantage.

· Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts

Higher education " It exposes the students to all sorts of different ideas and beliefs and it is good that it does."
That's what it used to do. That's what they say happens but I find that hard to believe.
By definition students are not being exposed to different ideas and beliefs if ,using Beaker's numbers, 97 to 98% of professors are all on one end of the spectrum.
There are no different ideas and beliefs in calculus, anatomy, biology, finance but in all the liberal arts, history, sociology, psychology, political science etc, that should have different beliefs and ideas discussed it seems that the American universities are indoctrinating and not exchanging ideas and exposing students to many sides. Or even 2.

· Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Indoctrination is the opposite of education. Which are we providing our kids today?
Not sure.
What do you thing UC Irvine and all the professors that backed the resolution to remove the American flag are doing?
Educating or indoctrinating?
How about Yale University that hired that racist Black Lives Matter professor to teach a class?
His credentials are awesome . He works in a public high school system and is a racist agitator so Yale gives him a course to teach?
Did they also give the Grand Wizard of the KKK a job?
I' d take neither class btw. racists have no business in any school.
Unless they're the correct racists of course. Liberal hypocrisy is what our schools teach now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.