Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to put this in "Out Of State Crimes".....

This New Jersey EZPass electronic ticket came in the mail yesterday for a family member. $50 surcharge for a $1.50 toll.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
I was going to put this in "Out Of State Crimes".....

This New Jersey EZPass electronic ticket came in the mail yesterday for a family member. $50 surcharge for a $1.50 toll.....
Did they not have an EZ Pass? If that is the case, I could understand a large surcharge as without them people would just not bother to get an EZ Pass and the toll authorities would have to go through a great deal of trouble and expense to collect all the unpaid tolls, and many would never be collected.

How much is the penalty for not putting a quarter in the parking meter or trying to beat a $2.75 MTA fare?

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 'story' I got with minimal inquiry was, he thought he put $1.50 in the basket, but apparently he was short....

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reactions: artburg

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
On the Garden State Parkway in at least one location - you must EXIT the parkway to pay cash if you don't have a big-brother-tracking device... You don't even slow down on the parkway, no booths/lanes, just a big overhead trestle that reads the tags.

... I learned about this the hard way of course... The signs were non-existent, just said "toll ahead" but there was never a booth.

When I got the bill for that (40 CENTS plus the "fee" I think was $25 then) I wrote a check for the toll, and a letter stating that there was no toll booth, no one standing on the road to collect, not even a bucket on the curb.

More aggravating was later that same day on the way back I got forced off the exit to the lower roadway of the GWB. Got to the booths and no one was there... there was 5 cars lined up, someone jumped out and went to find a human... who said "just go" Well, I had taken plate #'s of the cars in front and behind, and when THAT bill came did the same thing, a check and a letter - stating that there were 4 other cars that were with me and that we had been told to proceed because there was no staff.

Both were accepted...

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Did they not have an EZ Pass? If that is the case, I could understand a large surcharge as without them people would just not bother to get an EZ Pass and the toll authorities would have to go through a great deal of trouble and expense to collect all the unpaid tolls, and many would never be collected.
And if they did have an EZ Pass, would that $1.50 actually go towards road work, or would the entire bill be eaten up in collecting the actual fee? Maybe not the entire fee, but an unreasonably high percentage of that fee has to be eaten up in just maintaining the EZ Pass sensors, people to process bills, credit card processing, etc.

Yes, I'm happy to pay a $1.50 toll instead of $15 or whatever the bridges are, but it still seems like a scam to me.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
And if they did have an EZ Pass, would that $1.50 actually go towards road work, or would the entire bill be eaten up in collecting the actual fee? Maybe not the entire fee, but an unreasonably high percentage of that fee has to be eaten up in just maintaining the EZ Pass sensors, people to process bills, credit card processing, etc.

Yes, I'm happy to pay a $1.50 toll instead of $15 or whatever the bridges are, but it still seems like a scam to me.
I would imagine the cost of maintaining the EZ Pass system is far less than paying for many extra government union toll booth workers with big salaries, medical benefits and pensions.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.