Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a S&W M&P15 ORC that has a plain ended barrel and am looking to have it threaded and a muzzle break permanently attached. I know ADCO does it but wanted to know if there was anyone local that is able to do so.

TIA

·
Tactical Shrubbery!!
3,802 Posts
Bull Barrel??? Why would you want to thread it?

I have never used them but I know they come highly recommended from LIF members:

Country Gunsmity, phone # 631-567-1555

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,810 Posts
system60 said:
I have a S&W M&P15 ORC that has a plain ended barrel and am looking to have it threaded and a muzzle break permanently attached. I know ADCO does it but wanted to know if there was anyone local that is able to do so.

TIA
May I suggest that, before you ask anyone to do it, you consider the existing features of your rifle, then compare them, plus your wished-for addition, to the definition of "assault" (read illegal) rifle, in NYS' Penal Code, Section 265.22? A copy follows.
Gary

22. "Assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics:

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;
(v) a grenade launcher; or

(b) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds;
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(c) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics:
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a semiautomatic weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded;
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm; or

(d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames of receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as:
(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
(iii) Baretta AR70 (SC-70);
(iv) Colt AR-15;
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9 and M-12;
(vii) Steyr AUG;
(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

(e) provided, however, that such term does not include:
(i) any rifle, shotgun or pistol that (A) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, slide action; (B) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or (C) is an antique firearm as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921 (a)(16);
(ii) a semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition;
(iii) a semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed of detachable magazine;
(iv) a rifle, shotgun or pistol, of a replica or a duplicate thereof, specified in Appendix A to section 922 of 18 U.S.C. as such weapon was manufactured on October first, nineteen hundred ninety-three. The mere fact that a weapon is not listed in Appendix A shall not be construed to mean that such weapon is an assault weapon; or
(v) a semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun or a semiautomatic pistol or any of the weapons defined in paragraph (d) of this subdivision lawfully possessed prior to September fourteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four.

·
just working to improve,one round at a time
1,680 Posts
In NY?
Not a good Idea... I have a Bushmaster NY compliant with a "FACTORY INSTALLED IZZY BRAKE" installed. it is welded and pinned on so as not to EVER be removed.
1. For the life of me it makes no cents at all that by the manufacture calling it a muzzle break and welding and pinning it in place, it's now all fine and legal in NY, but it is.
2. My Hbar colt has no such thing on its barrel, and it's a tack driver. With the right head and powder you can reduce the muzzle flash and with practice (and a 22 power Nikon on the flat top don't hurt) you won't have to hide the flash,,, lol.
3. Better to be safe than sorry. Bring your rifle to a local (NY state, reputable armorer and an FFL. never guess. know before altering any firearm.
4. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
hydtguy said:
In NY?
Not a good Idea... I have a Bushmaster NY compliant with a "FACTORY INSTALLED IZZY BRAKE" installed. it is welded and pinned on so as not to EVER be removed.
1. For the life of me it makes no cents at all that by the manufacture calling it a muzzle break and welding and pinning it in place, it's now all fine and legal in NY, but it is.
2. My Hbar colt has no such thing on its barrel, and it's a tack driver. With the right head and powder you can reduce the muzzle flash and with practice (and a 22 power Nikon on the flat top don't hurt) you won't have to hide the flash,,, lol.
3. Better to be safe than sorry. Bring your rifle to a local (NY state, reputable armorer and an FFL. never guess. know before altering any firearm.
4. Have fun.
All my Saigas came with non threaded barrels. And guess what, I threaded them all, and installed brakes according to BATFE specs. Took about one hour each.
However, I would not do this myself on an AR bull barrel without a lathe. Easier to get new barrel from ARFCOM and add brake.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
might also be cheaper to sell the upper and get another upper. Bull barrels in my experience do not like to have metal removed from them- does weirdo things to the harmonics, but Im not an expert.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.