Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Here is the most painfully useful website on the Internet.

http://swz.salary.com/CostOfLivingWizard/LayoutScripts/Coll_Start.aspx

It calculates expected salary change in new area and change in disposable income based on cost of living in the new area. Instantly feel like a fool for staying here in NY.

I'll go ahead and ruin the surprise. Based on a $100k salary here in NY, moving to just about any other area in the country (obvious liberal cesspools excluded of course) you end up with about $30k extra in your pocket.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Are school taxes included in that?

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
If anyone has a link that gives real estate, income, and sales taxes comparatively by state that would be a big help. To be able to cross index that with red vs blue state, CCW (shall issue), estate tax and unemployment rate even better.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here is the most painfully useful website on the Internet.

http://swz.salary.co...Coll_Start.aspx

It calculates expected salary change in new area and change in disposable income based on cost of living in the new area. Instantly feel like a fool for staying here in NY.

I'll go ahead and ruin the surprise. Based on a $100k salary here in NY, moving to just about any other area in the country (obvious liberal cesspools excluded of course) you end up with about $30k extra in your pocket.
Wow...I just threw up...

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
This also depends on in what stage of life you are planning your move. If you are planning to retire, you also want states with low or no tax on pensions. Just based on this and property taxes we are abandoning this ship once we retire, unless of course we find a nice box and a bridge to live under

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Yup. Just plugged in TN compared to NY.

I'd need to make $55k to maintain my standard of living. But id be taking a 20% cut in pay and still ahead tens of thousands.

CPA.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Pfft Id go on vacation!!!

I work my butt off including weekends as it is.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Realistically it's more like:

total tax burden vs.
cost of living vs.
your personal income potential based on that location (i.e.a janitor makes a ton more in NY but the cost of living/taxes offset that) vs.
quality of living.

A lot of trendy areas like Hawaii and New York City have the highest real estate prices and highest cost of living (everything has to be flown into HI, orange juice is like 8 bucks, and we all know city costs for everything from services to goods).

If you have a location dependent job that uniquely requires an area that will pay more this can offset the rest (i.e. a cushy Wall Street job that would only make the kind of money in the financial district. However with global multinationals with multiple locations and telecommunication in this era, even this is being phased out. Still, many exist.)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow, just checked on that salary website. I work from home and can be anywhere within range of an airport. Rock Hill, SC is 43.2% lower cost of living than Suffolk County, NY. May have to expedite the move plans with the wife and these numbers will surely help.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.