Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since gas prices have shown no signs of coming back to earth, I've decided to make my 2001 Chevy Blazer a beach vehicle. It needs new shocks and springs, so I figure I might as well go all out and add a lift at the same time. I'm thinking about adding a 3" lift, but I'm not particularly mechanically inclined when it comes to cars.

That said, could anyone on here recommend a trustworthy place that could do this?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Check out R.M.S. off-road .Ocean ave. in Bohemia.(down the road from country gun smith)
See rich ,he owns and runs the place.Does high quality work,and is a cool guy.
check out his web site R.M.S.offroad.com

·
Registered
695 Posts
The Truck Shop in Sayville.

Just be prepared for: Much lower fuel economy, faster tire wear, excess strain on you aging drive train, poorer handling, incorrect spedo (leads to tickets) new noises that you never knew a truck could make, empty wallet (must have accessories), and something always breaking.

You have to ask yourself, do I want to invest at a min. $2-3K into a 11 year old vehicle to make it worth less, and cost more to run and maintain. The truck is capable of use on the beach without a lift, new shocks if you need them, good tires aired down no problem. If you plan on going "4-Whelling" there is NO WHERE ON LONG ISLAND that is LEGAL to "4-Wheel" including the beach. NYS Use permit is a fishing permit, and Suffolk County (Smith's Point) has a 10 mph speed limit. Everywhere else is Illegal!

That said, I have a '01 Cherokee that has a 4" lift on 31" (largest allowed Legally on the beach) tires that I enjoy taking camping, fishing etc. However, I have a Honda that is my DD that gets 35 miles to the gallon, and I'm a former mechanic that does all of my own work, including the lift.

Consider you options carefully-

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nukin_Futz said:
Just be prepared for: Much lower fuel economy, faster tire wear, excess strain on you aging drive train, poorer handling, incorrect spedo (leads to tickets) new noises that you never knew a truck could make, empty wallet (must have accessories), and something always breaking.
All valid concerns, and I have thought of them. I have another car as my primary vehicle, so the fuel economy and tire wear aren't much of a deal to me. At the 16mpg I was getting, filling up was bleeding me dry. I don't use the truck for much more than carrying stuff from Home Depot or beach fishing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.