Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
From what I have always read, the Johnson was the runner up to the Garand, One of its downfalls was the barrel reciprocated when fired and was not sturdy enough for use with a bayonet...They were issued to Marines in limited numbers in the Pacific, I have seen them, played with them but do not own one..Last time I was interested in one it was 3K....Not..lol

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
From what I have always read, the Johnson was the runner up to the Garand, One of its downfalls was the barrel reciprocated when fired and was not sturdy enough for use with a bayonet...They were issued to Marines in limited numbers in the Pacific, I have seen them, played with them but do not own one..Last time I was interested in one it was 3K....Not..lol
The example above is in unissued condition. It may be unfired. Definitely pristine. And yes, the bayonet had to be scaled down to almost a pike narrow tip spear as opposed to a blade due to the mass and reciprocating barrel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just saw a pristine one at Karp's on Friday picking up some ammo. I didn't realize they were used on a limited basis in WW2, Alan was a wealth of knowledge. So I asked him how much for it, he said "six"...as in six thousand dollars. Tad bit rich for my WW2 collection, told him that I couldn't get that past the wife.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
I just saw a pristine one at Karp's on Friday picking up some ammo. I didn't realize they were used on a limited basis in WW2, Alan was a wealth of knowledge. So I asked him how much for it, he said "six"...as in six thousand dollars. Tad bit rich for my WW2 collection, told him that I couldn't get that past the wife.
That's a bit ambitious on price. They go for between $3k-$5k +/- depending on condition. $6k is steep. Look on GB

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
An M41 Johnson is in my Top 5 MUST HAVES.

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts

Attachments

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
10 rounds in the clip vs. 8 is nice but the advantages of the Garand seem to have made it the hands-down favorite. I doubt it was even close.

But after further testing, the Pedersen was ultimately done in by several things. The Pedersen had more moving parts that required a higher degree of precision in manufacturing than the Garand-an important factor when you plan to produce millions of firearms. Its cartridges required lubrication in form of a light wax which may not have withstood the grime of battlefield conditions, and the Pedersen's en-bloc clip could only be inserted with its flat side down, unlike the Garand's clip, which could be slammed into the rifle in either direction. Finally, Garand was able to successfully go back to the drawing board and redesign his rifle to accept .30 caliber ammunition, which had already been proven in the World War I-era rifle, the M1903 Springfield.

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
I think they gave a bunch of them to the Dutch. The major flaw is that sheet metal belly that covers the internal magazine. Dent that and it won't feed. It's got a lot less recoil than the Garand. Nice shooter.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Im surprised you dont have three of them....lol
Lol...I've surpassed my quota already for '15. Maybe next year!

Reactions: mongo

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
I think I have filled my quota on new guns......unlike some people here...lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.