Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saeid Moradi come on up and accept your award!...oh, you can't walk!? Thank God for that!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia-pacific/thai-police-report-2-explosions-in-capital-no-fatalities-and-causes-not-immediately-known/2012/02/14/gIQA7LLnCR_story.html

BANGKOK - An Iranian man carrying grenades blew off his own legs and wounded four civilians Tuesday after an earlier blast shook his house in Bangkok, Thai authorities said. The explosions came a day after an Israeli diplomatic car was bombed in India - an attack Israel blamed on Iran.

Authorities say it's unclear whether the Bangkok explosions were linked to the New Delhi attack, but Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor said, "we can't rule out any possibility."

An Iranian man carrying explosives blew off his own legs and wounded four other people in two blasts Tuesday in Bangkok, Thai authorities said. A third blast occurred in a nearby house. (Feb. 14)

An Iranian man carrying explosives blew off his own legs and wounded four other people in two blasts Tuesday in Bangkok, Thai authorities said. A third blast occurred in a nearby house. (Feb. 14)

Thailand explosions blamed on Iranian man come one day a pair of incidents targeted Israeli officials in India and Georgia, which Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu blamed on Iran.

Thai security forces found more explosives in a house where the Iranian man was staying in Bangkok, but the possible targets were not known, Police Gen. Pansiri Prapawat said.

A passport found at the scene of one blast indicated the assailant was Saeid Moradi from Iran, Pansiri said. Authorities in Tehran could not immediately be reached for comment.

Tuesday's violence began in the afternoon when a stash of explosives apparently detonated by accident in Moradi's house, blowing off part of the roof. Police said two foreigners quickly left the residence, followed by a wounded Moradi.

"He tried to wave down a taxi, but he was covered in blood, and the driver refused to take him," Pansiri said. He then threw an explosive at the taxi and began running.

Police who had been called to the area then tried to apprehend Moradi, who hurled a grenade to defend himself. "But somehow it bounced back" and blew off his legs, Pansiri said....cont.

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
Mr. Saeid Moradi - Let me introduce you to Mr. Murphy and his lawbook.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
Netanyahu again tries to make this an "Arabs vs Israel" issue- but I suspect it has a lot more to do with Thai politics and nothing to do with Israel. And the Iranian (nationals) have no purpose served by bombing Bankok. BUT if you want to find a bomb maker, thanks to the several decades of unrest all across the middle east, who do you recruit? Iranian nationals. Why? because if something goes wrong you can simply blame it on the Iranians. The muslim population in Thailand does not run around blowing things up- thay don't have to as nobody is trying to drive them into the ocean or the mountains.

But Saranswat-or-whatever-her-name-is and Thaksin- they are clever. I might be as little more critical of the culture of corruption they have managesd to foster there but I don't want to get hustled off to a Thai gulag when I set foot in Bangkok. First Amendment is not enjoyed there.

·
Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.
6,238 Posts
A couple of those pics look like scenes from The Walking Dead ;)

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Captain Will said:
The muslim population in Thailand does not run around blowing things up- thay don't have to as nobody is trying to drive them into the ocean or the mountains.
You wanna think about that again?

Thailand Muslim Terror incidents:
1/1/11 Bomb killed 2
2/13/11 Car bomb, 18 killed.
4/18/11 Bomb kills 1, 25 injured.
9/16/11 3 bombs kills 4 in Yala.

That is just last year. You need more? Here are some:

On 31 January 2009, a grenade blast killed eight people and wounded twenty-seven others during an outdoor celebration next to a Buddhist temple.

On 20 February 2009, Muslim insurgents ambushed a military convoy and beheaded 2 soldiers in the second such attack that month.

On 13 March 2009, Muslim militants killed 3 soldiers in an ambush in southern Narathiwat province. Six days later, a Thailand army spokesman said a roadside bomb had killed 4 paramilitary rangers on an intelligence-gathering operation in southern Pattani province.

On 7 June 2009, Islamic insurgents shot dead a villager and then detonated a car bomb as a crowd gathered, which killed one and wounded 19 in the Yi-ngo district of Narathiwat. The next day, gunmen opened fire on a mosque in Narathiwat Province's Hoh-I-Rong district killing at least 10 people and wounding 19 others.

On 13 June 2009, insurgents riding a motorcycle hurled a bomb at a bus, killing one passenger and wounding 13 others in downtown Yala city. In Yala province's Bannang Sata district, a husband and wife were shot dead in an ambush while riding their motorcycle. In Narathiwat Province a village headman's wife was killed and another person wounded while riding a motorcycle to a market.

On 18 June 2009, Thailand security forces killed 4 suspected Muslim militants in a gun battle in southern Yala Province.

On 19 July 2009, in Thailand's Yala Province, a 48-year-old rubber plantation owner was shot dead in a drive-by shooting as he returned home by motorcycle. In another attack, a gold shopkeeper was killed after suspect insurgents fired assault rifles into his shop in Narathiwat Province before they fled on a motorcycle. The next day, 2 assailants on a motorcycle shot and killed a Buddhist man who was traveling on a road in Pattani province.

On 26 August 2009, Muslim insurgents detonated a car bomb outside a crowded open-air restaurant during lunchtime, which wounded 26 people.

On 2 September 2009, a number of drive-by shootings in the provinces of Narathiwat, Pattani and Yala left 8 dead, including a Muslim teacher and his son. Thai Security forces raided a rubber plantation in Yala and a house in Narathiwat, sparking separate gun battles in which 2 suspected insurgents were killed. The following day, on 3 September 2009, a bomb hidden in a motorcycle parked outside a row of open-air shops and restaurants in Pattani city exploded, which killed a Buddhist man and wounded 24 others.

On 4 September 2009, a bomb believed to had been planted by Islamic insurgents exploded outside a restaurant where security forces were eating breakfast, killing a policeman and wounding 12 other people. On 13 September 2009, Muslim insurgents shot and killed 5 paramilitary troops in Yala Province.

On 28 October 2009, Muslim insurgents shot and killed 2 Buddhist civilians in separate drive-by attacks in the insurgency-plagued south.

On 6 January 2010, a civil servant, a female defense volunteer, and a mechanic were killed in drive-by shootings, while security forces shot dead a suspect who resisted arrest in a gun battle that followed a search operation at a house in Narathiwat.

On 7 January 2010 a roadside bomb went off in Yala Province, killing a paramilitary ranger on patrol. Another small bomb went off earlier in Yala, about 200 meters (656 feet) from where Thailand's Prime Minister Abhisit later presided over a ceremony to open a new road. A police officer in the security team for the visiting delegation was slightly wounded. Another roadside bomb was detonated in neighboring Pattani province, but no casualties were reported.

On 14 January 2010, unknown assailants shot dead and burned the bodies of a Buddhist couple who were riding to work on a motorcycle that morning in Pattani province. A Buddhist family of 3, including a 12-year-old girl, were wounded in another drive-by attack in the same province. A bomb was later detonated outside a tea shop in the same province, wounding 4 civilians, and in neighboring Yala a bomb exploded outside an open-air market, wounding 3 soldiers and 3 civilians.

On 27 February 2010, 4 banks were targeted with small explosives, but no one was hurt.

On 1 April 2010, suspected Islamic insurgents shot dead 6 Buddhist villagers in Thailand's restive south. Ten policemen and soldiers were also wounded when a roadside bomb exploded as they were traveling to the scene of the shootings.

On 8 June 2010, 11 Muslims were killed while praying in a mosque in Narathiwat province. Thai government officials claimed it was the work of Muslim insurgents, however local villagers stated that Muslims would not fire on other Muslims, especially in a mosque. The attack fueled the tension between the government and Islamic insurgents.

On 1 July 2010, suspected Muslim insurgents detonated a roadside bomb and opened fire on security forces in southern Thailand. The following day, 3 soldiers were killed in a second attack by a similar roadside bomb blast.

That also ignore all of the shooting, stabbings, be-headings and other acts of violence by Muslims in Thailand, mostly aimed at school officials, teachers and children.

·
Gun Enthusiast
1,040 Posts
Couldn't have happened to a nicer fellow! He'll be the new guy at the Port Authority Terminal panhandling from his dolly.:luck

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
govlawyer said:
Couldn't have happened to a nicer fellow! He'll be the new guy at the Port Authority Terminal panhandling from his dolly.:luck
Karma pays a visit...

and FWM, you beat me to it.

Capt Will- The Thai (and other SE Asian) muslims are not the kum-bah-yah chorus you describe

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
Recasting Burmese and Malays as "Muslim extremists" is exactly what Netanyahu is doing, to try to blame Iran.

Number of actual muslim extremist terrorist attacks in Thailand: TWO

(Well maybe three if this event turns out to be religiously motivated, but IMO unlikely)

The Thai Muslims (NRATC) are sequesterd down on the (eastern side of) Malaysian border in their own insular little provinces- hard for me to come up with an analogy, but think of Bensonhust, Kew Gardens and Forest Hills.

In most of ThaIland, darn near everybody is Buddhist, or agnostics pretending to be Buddhists (yeah bizarre but whatever) I think these people INVENTED "Kum-Bah-Yah".

They don't have any real political enemies, never been invaded, have practically no military to speak of, the BPP is ahem,,, not exactly free of corruptive influences (big surprise since it was basically built by our own CIA)...and naturally border events (not really skirmishes) are going to involve whom? Islamic people and Buddhist people. This does not make it an "Islamic terrorist attack".

At the other end of the country you have Chang Mai- sits right on the Burmese border and central to a trade and drug conduit. Does it come as a surprise that there would be violence there? Heck, look at our border with Mexico.

We need to know a LOT more about this incident before we start blaming Muslim extremists- and in particular, the state of Iran, because the man was found with papers that identify him as an Iranian national.

You don't see people crying "blame it on the Basque Seperatists" if the guy is a Spanish National, or "Blame it on Sinn Fein" if a guy is Irish, blaming it on Iran before anybody knows anything about the situation (including a possible motive for an iranian state-sanctioned bombing against Thailand) is complete BS.

My gut instinct is that he'll probably turn out to be a contractor that has a political connection as the backstory, but involving Thai, Burmese, or Malaysian interests rather than religion (or at keast religion per se) and Iranian state-sponsored terrorism.

I suspect more info will be forthcoming shortly.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
Captain Will said:
Recasting Burmese and Malays as "Muslim extremists" is exactly what Netanyahu is doing, to try to blame Iran.

(Well maybe three if this event turns out to be religiously motivated, but IMO unlikely)

The Thai Muslims (NRATC) are sequesterd down on the (eastern side of) Malaysian border in their own insular little provinces- hard for me to come up with an analogy, but think of Bensonhust, Kew Gardens and Forest Hills.

In most of ThaIland, darn near everybody is Buddhist, or agnostics pretending to be Buddhists (yeah bizarre but whatever) I think these people INVENTED "Kum-Bah-Yah".

They don't have any real political enemies, never been invaded, have practically no military to speak of, the BPP is ahem,,, not exactly free of corruptive influences (big surprise since it was basically built by our own CIA)...and naturally border events (not really skirmishes) are going to involve whom? Islamic people and Buddhist people. This does not make it an "Islamic terrorist attack".

At the other end of the country you have Chang Mai- sits right on the Burmese border and central to a trade and drug conduit. Does it come as a surprise that there would be violence there? Heck, look at our border with Mexico.

We need to know a LOT more about this incident before we start blaming Muslim extremists- and in particular, the state of Iran, because the man was found with papers that identify him as an Iranian national.

You don't see people crying "blame it on the Basque Seperatists" if the guy is a Spanish National, or "Blame it on Sinn Fein" if a guy is Irish, blaming it on Iran before anybody knows anything about the situation (including a possible motive for an iranian state-sanctioned bombing against Thailand) is complete BS.

My gut instinct is that he'll probably turn out to be a contractor that has a political connection as the backstory, but involving Thai, Burmese, or Malaysian interests rather than religion (or at keast religion per se) and Iranian state-sponsored terrorism.

I suspect more info will be forthcoming shortly.
Yes indeed I think they did invent it, but they do have their share of incidents. I was in Thailand for a while, am well aware that we basically set up (or propped up) the gov't in various forms. Thailand has been in a state of semi revolution as long as I can remember but it typically isn't too violent. Many violent incidents there as well as other places are caused by external people or influence. You and I both know a lot about the proxy games that go on around the world, I've seen some of them up close. I just think it's funny that this time, Karma brought a grenade when she visited...

·
22,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
govlawyer said:
Think he'll try to sue the grenade manufacturer? ;)

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Captain Will said:
What? Are you saying Iran is not full of muslim extremists that commit terrorism?
Captain Will said:
Yeah, TWO this month maybe. I just gave you a whole list of them above.

But what about the attacks on teachers and school children which is a well documented terror tool of Muslim terrorists?

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Southern-Thailand:-another-teacher-killed,-schools-closed-in-protest-19401.html
Teachers have always been especially vulnerable to Muslim extremists who see school as a tool used by the state to impose a Buddhist culture. In 2008 alone, 153 teachers were killed.
Most do not know that hundreds of teachers and school children have been killed in Thailand over the last several years. I first heard about it from John Gidduck, one of the leading experts on terrorism and author of Terror At Beslan, a very thorough and important work that goes into detail describing another gruesome muslim attack on school children. One that left hundreds dead and many more scared for life.

·
******* Limey.
1,601 Posts
Should have just let him bleed out on the street........

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
Mad Russian said:
But then some lawyer would have tried to sue....
...after someone slipped and fell on the blood/stringy stuff.

·
22,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But once the Iranians run out of morons (give or take a few million) they might send someone more competent next time....

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
FatWhiteMan said:
What? Are you saying Iran is not full of muslim extremists that commit terrorism?
What do you call "full of"? The vast majority of Iranian people are not a whole lot different (semantically, not culturally) from you or I, they do not parade around with bombs strapped to themselves blowing each other up. Despite wehat you may read on the internet. Most Iranian STATE sponsored agression has a political component- it's inevitably characterized as religious (jihad) but the reality is that if you removed religion completely from the equation, the desire of the Iranians to maintain soverignty, regional influence, persue nuclear power, arm themselves for defense againt their (also agressive BTW) neighbors, and control natural reesources are all strong societal and economic factors that we have dismissed with trhe "Blame Islam" mantra. This is especially hypocritical from Benjamin Netanyahu, an individual who is constantly pointing to the worlds' religious demonization of his beleagured constituents.

Characterizing secular muslims as jihadists is BS.

Bennie and Mamoud need to be set adrift on a raft together in the Indian Ocean.

Yeah, TWO this month maybe. I just gave you a whole list of them above.
No, you gave a list of violent incidents that somebody decided to ATTRIBUTE to muslims- which has about as much truth to it as blaming the Irish for McVeigh bombing the Murrah building.

Here, let me wiki this for you so you can see what incidents were ACTUALLY performed by muslim extremists:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamic_terrorist_attacks

Not the vast proliferation of muslim terror attacks in Thailand? No? So let me ask you, how many are there according to Wiki? Do you think Ahmedinijad controls Wikipedia, or do you think the site you lifted the above off of has an anti-muslim agenda, like literally thousands of others that use catchphrases like "the religion of violence"?

But what about the attacks on teachers and school children which is a well documented terror tool of Muslim terrorists?

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Southern-Thailand:-another-teacher-killed,-schools-closed-in-protest-19401.html
Killing teachers is a "well documwented terror tool" of Nazis, Cambodians (insert group here)- so what? You have conflict between two demographic religious groups on a border with a third, that does not make them "muslim terrorists" sorry, it does not. What about tthe muslims that were killed? Are you going to attribute that to "buddhist extremists"? Really?

Most do not know that hundreds of teachers and school children have been killed in Thailand over the last several years. I first heard about it from John Gidduck, one of the leading experts on terrorism and author of Terror At Beslan, a very thorough and important work that goes into detail describing another gruesome muslim attack on school children. One that left hundreds dead and many more scared for life.
I never heard of the guy, but managed to fire up Google and come up with this:
http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=107621

Is THIS the guy you are relying on for an "expert" opinion?

Sounds like quite the BS artist indeed. And about the only similarity between the situation in Baslan (in Russia) and Thailand (nowhere close to Russia) is that in both cases the violence revolve around secessionists, the fact that those secessionists have higher population densities of muslims than the surrounding areas is unremarkable. Secessionists always have some different demographic, regional concern, or background and being on a border does not help, as in southern Thailand, northern Thailand, hell , even the PacNW and Texas have talked about secession from this country.
And we have a lot less class division, corruption (in spite of what you may think) and "quality of life issues" than the Thai folks.

Now for a reality check, less people have dies from terrorism in Thailand than in the USA. This is in spite of a lot of folks being very very poor, a few folks being incredibly wealthy, and a governmet that is largely controlled by cronies and crooks, and severe flooding that nearly destroyed Bangkok this spring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts