Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38,620 Posts
A 100 pound training missile fell off an Army helicopter in northern New York on Friday, and the Army still hasn't found it.

The nonexplosive, nonmotorized dummy missile fell from an AH-64 Apache on its way from Fort Drum to the New York Air Show on Friday. The 100 pound, 64 inch long dummy missile is meant to simulate the weight and appearance of a Hellfire missile for training. It has "U.S. Army" painted on the side in big block letters, which is a lesson to all of us: write your name on your things if you're likely to lose them.

So if you live in New York and you've seen a missile with "U.S. Army" painted on the side, call Fort Drum's 10th Mountain Division Operations Center at 315-772-6324. They would really like it back.

http://gizmodo.com/the-army-wants-its-missing-missile-back-1727591780?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
I was there today. The AH-64 had armaments on only the starboard side.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Lol, yeah, four Hellfires and the Hydra 70 launcher!

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,976 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I would like a lot of things back in my life, I know there is no way of getting them back so I just move on, laughable the Army would "ask " for it back, please locate our fake missle hump it out of the woods and return it ................. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA sure lets get right on that

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
When I was at Grumman, I was visiting Pt. Mugu, NAS one time - Grumman had a "trailer" there not far from the beach. It was actually a fairly large building made from pre-fab sections but everybody called it the trailer. Anyways, one morning we were coming back from coffee break in another building and there's a Mk 82 buried nose down right next to the steps of the building. Somebody says, "Hey, when did they put this here?" It looked like it was placed there, on purpose, to adorn the entrance, and maybe when they got hold of another one they'd do the other side.

That wasn't the case. I used to hear about inadvertent jettisons all the time. They're fairly common. Not that they're not a big deal. When it happens, it sets off a poopstorm of investigations. Fortunately, thy usually happen with dummy warheads and rocket motors. Still, dropping a million $ missile on the deck of a carrier just pisses some people off.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
wouldn't that look nice hung on the mantle piece with an old double barreled shotgun.

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I'm assuming that the pods were jettisoned since both were gone... I can't see ordinance making a mistake on 2 pods that fell off after taking off.

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
That would sure make a great lampstand for Destro's man cave.

Reactions: Mad Russian
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.