Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, sweet potatoes with marshmallows? Brussel Sprouts? What kind of stuffing/dressing?

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
..oooh Im gonna love this thread.

...Making me drool!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Thankfully my wife has the patience for this effort because there is no way I could justify this much work for any side dish.

These are the greatest mashed potatoes in the history of the universe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/whipped-potatoes-recipe.html

They take forever to make. But they come out so good. Boiling potatoes in a gallon of whole milk? Sure. Why not.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Stuffing two ways : traditional - apples, raisins, nuts, bread inside the bird
the second - cornbread, corn, chorizo, jalapeno -- AMAZING!
Candied shallots
Green beans / almonds
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes - with the inside scooped out mixed with mascarpone and a few other things then scooped back into the sweet potato skin and baked - lil marshmallow on top for som
Gravy

Its my favorite holiday hahaha

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
Thanksgiving dinner is a family event, we all cook.

Gravy made from the turkey drippings
Homemade stuffing "inside bird"-- 50 year old recipe, handed down to us.
Sweet Potatoes with pineapple topped with a marsh mellow Crust
Mashed potatoes
Creamed onions
Cranberry sauce
Fresh string beans, blanched
Mashed turnips

Wine, lots of wine

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet potatoes - with the inside scooped out mixed with mascarpone and a few other things then scooped back into the sweet potato skin and baked - lil marshmallow on top for som
Its my favorite holiday hahaha
WOW! I like the way that sounds!

·
AMF YOYO
3,602 Posts
The standard issue of side dishes like mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, etc. but we add our traditional family things. Considering that my side of the family has Kentucky traditions as well as the New York ones and my wife's side is all Italian, we have some interesting combinations.

Mother-in-Law's "Italian Stuffing": It's pretty much a standard bread stuffing recipe. We replace about 1/4 to 1/3 of the bread/stuffing mix with crumbled up Cheese Tidbit crackers and add a ton of hard salami & cheddar cheese to the mix. I usually make an extra pan or two so that I can take it hunting with me.

Grandma's Creamed Pearl Onions: A giant pain-in-the-butt to make, but SO much better from scratch than anything you can buy.

Stuffed Artichokes: LOTS of garlic, steamed in a turkey stock made from the neck bones and all the onion/celery trimmings from the stuffing.

Oven-roasted Brussel Sprouts: With bacon, onions, & garlic.

Sweet Potato Pie: A much deeper flavor than regular old pumpkin and not as sweet. Served with "Black Coffee" from that annoying damned top & bottom contraption that seems to be a fixture in every Italian home. Nobody I know ever bought one, it's just always been there.

·
Runs with scissors
1,759 Posts
We started our own traditions when we got married. Since none of us like mixing sweet and savory, all our side dishes are savory only.
I mix rosemary and and olive oil and stuff it under the turkey skin wherever possible. I rub it into the turkey skin too and season it with Vegeta. Stuffing is simple - various kinds of breads (the more different kinds the better) garlic, onion, celery, and herbs roasted on olive oil and stuffed inside the turkey. Habsfan makes gravy in the roasting pan after the turkey is done cooking. We make it with stock.
On the side we have fire roasted peppers with basil and garlic, garlic Ceasar salad, mashed potato, buttered corn, peas, steamed carrots and blanched Swiss chard drizzled with olive oil and garlic. Desert is either a pumpkin pie with ice cream, or Granny Smith apple strudel. Our meal is a blend of North American and Mediterranean cuisine.

·
King Coal and Lord of the Blue Ladies
2,152 Posts
Appetizers: Pepperoni , Fresh Mozzarella, Artichoke Hearts, Various Other Cheeses, Olives, Chips, Celery with Blue Cheese spread

SIdes: Turnips, Mashed Potatoes, Cranberry Sauce, Brussels Sprouts, Stuffing (Bread & Sausage),Broccoli,sweet potatoes....that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Deserts: Pies....lots and lots of PIES!!

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,454 Posts
The standard issue of side dishes like mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, etc. but we add our traditional family things. Considering that my side of the family has Kentucky traditions as well as the New York ones and my wife's side is all Italian, we have some interesting combinations.

Mother-in-Law's "Italian Stuffing": It's pretty much a standard bread stuffing recipe. We replace about 1/4 to 1/3 of the bread/stuffing mix with crumbled up Cheese Tidbit crackers and add a ton of hard salami & cheddar cheese to the mix. I usually make an extra pan or two so that I can take it hunting with me.

Grandma's Creamed Pearl Onions: A giant pain-in-the-butt to make, but SO much better from scratch than anything you can buy.

Stuffed Artichokes: LOTS of garlic, steamed in a turkey stock made from the neck bones and all the onion/celery trimmings from the stuffing.

Oven-roasted Brussel Sprouts: With bacon, onions, & garlic.

Sweet Potato Pie: A much deeper flavor than regular old pumpkin and not as sweet. Served with "Black Coffee" from that annoying damned top & bottom contraption that seems to be a fixture in every Italian home. Nobody I know ever bought one, it's just always been there.
You mean one of these?

Can confirm. Everyone in my family has at least 1. We have 2. We've never bought one.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts