Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again, I have to thank Doug, Jonathan, Jon, Shawn and the team @ Campsite for showing me yet again just how you guys continue to exemplify VALUE with CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!

So, for months now I had been shopping for my sons(ages 16 and 13), planning on getting each of them their own personal .22 for Christmas. I called almost every shop on LI, and visited many of the shops numerous times. My 16 y/o got a Ruger 10/22(stainless / composite stock - I picked it up used) for his 16th bday, and he enjoys shooting this rifle. He also enjoys shooting my Beretta CX4 and my RRA Entry when we go to the range. My 13 y/o has been enjoying shooting my GSG-Kalashnikov (.22), but also enjoys shooting my Beretta CX4 and my RRA. So, I was intent on getting them each their own tacticool .22 . Initially, I was thinking Colt / Umarex 15-22, but with the MSRP, some mixed reviews I had read, plus only recently becoming available in NY compliance, I was leaning towards the S&W M&P 15-22 (NY compliant models have not yet shipped, but some dealers are making the rifle compliant, but no 10 rd mags available from S&W yet - so if you're not LEO, no luck), and the Ruger SR-22 (just now becoming available in a few NY / LI dealers), but not set up for iron sights. As it is for my sons and I want them to develop their shooting skills independent of optics, this was not an option for their primary personal rifle. So, I turned my attention back to the GSG-5 (as originally suggested by Shawn, Jonathan and Doug @ Campsite months ago). So again, I called around and spoke to the different shop owners, trying to do the best I could price wise. Most were @ or very near the MSRP ($569), citing the recent court decision and that the GSG-5 would not be available once existing stock was sold off.
So, after all the recon, mileage, phonecalls, etc. - of course I got each of my sons a GSG-5 @ Campsite this weekend. It wasn't a surprise, as I brought both of them with me to be 100% certain that the really would be happy with these (there will be other surprises from Santa - but this one from Dad - well, ok - no surprise). FYI, as far as pricing, Campsite did FAR better for me than anyone had quoted, and I told each dealer that I was seeking to purchase 2 units. While getting a great deal after shopping around is always satisfying from a consumer standpoint (especially around the holidays when $$$$ is ALWAYS tight), I have to say my dealings with Campsite have gone beyond the price tag. Whenever I stop in the shop, I am always greeted warmly by the staff, even if they are with a customer, each of them will always look up, make eye contact, offer a warm greeting and extend a hand. If my sons are with me, each of them will experience the same warm welcome. Doesn't matter if "I'm buying" or just stopping in to say hi - this is a very high standard Campsite has established with me - and they always meet or exceed it. THAT HAS TO MEAN SOMETHING - and to me, it means ALOT.

Someone told me a long time ago "when people show you who they are, believe them". Makes more sense to me every day. The crew at Campsite has shown me over and over they are very good at what they do, they like what they are doing, and want you to be happy to have come in to see them whenever you do.

Suffice it to say, I BELIEVE.

Thanks AGAIN to the whole Campsite Crew and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all FROM THE LEVATINOs!!!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Nothing as heartwarming as a good shopping experience, right?

Makes the holiday just a little brighter!

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
OH UNCLE PAUL said:
I keep hearing good things about them. I am a SSS guy myself but I guess I will have to take a drive to check them out one day.
Campsite is a great place. There are others as well. Take a moment and see that all the stores on LI have to offer.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
What also is great about Camp Site is that they carry camping gear and all kinds of fly fishing goodies.  They also recently began selling Boy Scout uniforms and accessories.  

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The Architect said:
Campsite is a great place. There are others as well. Take a moment and see that all the stores on LI have to offer.
+1. Until I started really looking around, I had no idea how many gun shops there really were on Long Island. We are very lucky to live in a place that has so much available to us. And LIF is a perfect place to get ideas on where to go, some of these places I have never heard of until LIF!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I must say that my visits / calls to other shops were generally positive(with some unfortunate exceptions). I think that at the very least, my minimal expectation is some professional courtesy and a minimal amount or BS or "air of superiority" that seems to be pervasive to the industry. I guess some shops want to "hit the HR" on every sale, but based on the pricing I found in those shops versus the purchases I have made in 2009, looks like these shops "strike out" (since coming back to shooting and introducing my kids, Ive purchased roughly a dozen rifles / shotguns). For the most part, the shops I visited lived up to their reputations as detailed in these forums. There are a couple I can say without hesitation I will NEVER visit again. I would not waste my time, but that is only my opinion and experience, and I think it best for everyone to develop their own opinions based on personal experience whenever possible. I must note that my visits and discussions with Mike and Roy at South Shore Sportsman were very positive and I will look forward to visiting SSS again in the future. They are honest, knowledgable, courteous, and friendly.
While I have tremendous loyalty and appreciation for Campsite based upon numerous great experiences with the staff and the establishment, I agree that it is incumbent upon and behooves each of us to continue to look around, check out our dealers, speak to them. Every shop, just like every person is different in many respects. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Folks at the Campsite are great!  

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm new to Long Island (PA native) and new to this site. It's great to have one place to learn about the differences between the two states, because in firearms it's night and day.

My limited experience around Suffolk county with 3-4 gun shops is mixed at best. However, I have been in the market for a safe for my guns and valuables, and I have to say Campsite was beyond helpful. John on the phone, and Johnathan in person, were nothing short of great. After I had decided which one I wanted, I took my wife to the shop to look at it, and Johnathan took over an hour on a busy Saturday afternoon to show us the different sizes and accessories, and made the effort to ask us all about our situation (how big is your staircase, is it reinforced, etc...) to make sure we could get the one we picked into the house. Long story short, best experience I've had so far, and I'll be sure to start any future search for new sporting goods there.

Reading through the other posts here, I'll have to make it out to SSS and give them a chance too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.