Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
cas said:
...and a 10¢ blind roll pin on the stock....
The really funny part about that stupid law is that if you just put a buttplate on the bare M4 short buffer tube, it would be perfectly legal. But put the telescoping stock part on it, which can do nothing but then make the gun longer and thus less "concealable," and it's illegal.

The law is an ass.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Dean Speir said:

[face=Verdana]Sturm Ruger has traditionally had some of the tightest controls over how and where their products are sold of any of the firearms companies.

In the latter '80s, when Sturm Ruger and Smith & Wesson were locked in a marketing death match which led the the extraordinarily effective "Thicker may be better in burgers and shakes, but what does it have to do with guns?" advertising campaign, Sturm Ruger (with it's big buzz but long-delayed P85 in the chute) told their distributors that they could carry S&W products or Sturm Ruger products, but they couldn't carry both.

A look at the two product lines at the time… remember, several years before Tomkins PLC acquired S&W, the Lear Sieglier crew had discontinued everything save the handguuns and handcuffs, so the good value imported Howa 1500 series rifles ("Japanese Mausers") and the excellent Models 1000 and 3000 shotguns were gone as well… reveals why a large number of distributors dropped S&W: Sturm Ruger had a superior product line, and a new line of centerfire pistols coming on-line.

I suspect that if enough NY- and California-based consumers raise a hue and cry, something along the line of what you suggest may come to pass… but it will be tightly controlled by Sturm Ruger.
[/face]
But they DO do "distributor exclusives." I just counted 35 currently offered "distributor exclusive" 10/22 variants alone--on Ruger's own website!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Daniel Watters said:
FWIW: The closest thing I can think of is the Ruger 96/44 and 96/22.
But wouldn't that be the Win 88 (lever action) rather than the Semi auto model 100?

Dean, I am serious, why should Ruger make only NYS compliant guns? There are a couple hundred million of us who live in places where the guns laws are at least somewhat better to a whole lot better when it comes to firearms.

As to my comment of move or run for office. I am serious, I will never return to the state of my birth until Massachusetts starts changing. I have passed up weddings, funerals, and other family events because I believe they are unConstitutionally violating my rights to self defense. Its not that hard to move, and frankly, there are THOUSANDS of places better to live in this Country than the SDRNY or the like.

I applaud Ruger for making a fun looking and reliable .22 rifle, I applaud them for making the AR clone, I applaud them for making high cap mags readily available for the mini 14. I applaud both S&W and COLT for making AR clones in .22 lr, and for making real AR's readily available to most States.

Ripping Ruger over something a former CEO did many years ago is childish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ruger went backwards using their carbine form factor guns as a model and then adding a lever action version, see the Deerfield Carbine and 10/22 Carbine and the Ruger 96 series. With some "assault weapons" bans this might have made considerable sense.

Things didn't work out that way and like the Winchester 88 and 100, two very similar models with semi-automatic and lever actions...the idea didn't sell. I note the expected crack down on EBRs didn't much happen, at least in most of the US of A.

Geoff
Who notes you still should NEVER defend yourself with an "assault weapon" in Florida, despite the propaganda from the gun grabber goons, the mandatory 15 year sentence for possessing one while committing a laundry list of crimes makes it questionable...especially if the Prosecutor thinks the law requires him to prosecute no matter the circumstances!:censored

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gents, I may be missing something, or it may be the jet lag, but I fail to see what the concern is about selling the Ruger SR22 in California.

As a rimfire, it is not subject to our AW bans, which are specific to centerfire rifles only. A ten round magazine would be required, however.

V/R
Mike

G

·
Saw one the other day. All it is, is a carrying forward of what people have been doing to the rifle for years. They are even doing a similar mini14, where you can buy the gun with all of the buck rogers stuff already applied.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts