Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Teen Shot In Twinkies Theft



JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - An 18-year-old man who tried to steal Twinkies from a convenience store Thursday afternoon was shot when the store clerk's gun accidentally discharged, according to Jacksonville police.

The teen, Joseph Williams, has since been arrested.

Police said Williams was trying to steal the snack cakes from Happy Jacks in the 1600 block of North Myrtle Avenue in Northwest Jacksonville just after 4 p.m. Thursday.

Police said the store clerk then displayed a handgun and chased Williams out of the store. Police said the clerk caught Williams outside the store and they got into a struggle.

The clerk had the gun in his right hand and told Williams to stop resisting, police said. They said the clerk told them that Williams looked at his gun as if he was going to try and grab it, so he struck him in the head to stop him.

The gun accidentally fired, and Williams was able to flee the scene, police said. A K-9 tracked a blood trail several blocks away, but police said they were not able to find Williams.

At 9 p.m., Williams walked into a local hospital for treatment for a gunshot wound to his arm, police said. They said Williams admitted to being in a struggle with the store clerk. He was then arrested.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44036125/ns/us_news-weird_news/
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,541 Posts
Awww.........Too bad it didn't accidently discharge 6 times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
No mention of how they are going to handle the clerk?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,416 Posts
I certainly hope the frisked his dreadlocks (with gloves on) fo any contraband! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
Strat688 said:
Awww.........Too bad it didn't accidently discharge 6 times.
Why? I mean, sure, he was stealing, but is that worthy of DEATH? I thought we were all about responsible gun ownership. The teen never displayed a firearm (as far as we know) so there is no reason for deadly force..
 

·
Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.
Joined
·
6,238 Posts
Oh, you people are mean. Fine, upstanding citizen that just needs a bite to eat to quench the cravings from all the weed...  8)
 

·
Anti-Statist
Joined
·
5,359 Posts
Adam said:
No mention of how they are going to handle the clerk?
Its Florida. Chances are he will get a pat on the back and resume his work shift the next day.
 

·
Grand Poobah
Joined
·
21,170 Posts
It may have been worthy of death. Not because of stealing a Twinkie. That is not a reason for someone to be killed. But the risk to the clerk is justifiable to me.
The clerk had a pistol and the perp struggled with him. He could have been trying to take the gun and that put the clerk in danger. Sorry, if someone perpetrating a crime ( even a petty one) is confronted by an armed citizen and instead of fleeing or surrendering chooses to struggle whatever happens to him is his own damn fault.
kayfouroh said:
Why? I mean, sure, he was stealing, but is that worthy of DEATH? I thought we were all about responsible gun ownership. The teen never displayed a firearm (as far as we know) so there is no reason for deadly force..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,870 Posts
deathsythe said:
Its Florida. Chances are he will get a pat on the back and resume his work shift the next day.
Yeah, if that happened here, he would be fired from his job, in jail facing some serious charges. I hate this liberal sinkhole.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,582 Posts
Aquabach said:
It may have been worthy of death. Not because of stealing a Twinkie. That is not a reason for someone to be killed. But the risk to the clerk is justifiable to me.
The clerk had a pistol and the perp struggled with him. He could have been trying to take the gun and that put the clerk in danger. Sorry, if someone perpetrating a crime ( even a petty one) is confronted by an armed citizen and instead of fleeing or surrendering chooses to struggle whatever happens to him is his own damn fault.
I don't disagree that in the struggle he may have been afraid that the perp could have taken the gun and shot him, however why did he pull the gun in the first place? I was always taught that you do not pull a gun unless you intend to use it. Did the clerk really plan on popping the guy if he didn't stop, if not then he should have never taken the gun out.
 

·
Grand Poobah
Joined
·
21,170 Posts
It may be more of reaction for some to draw a weapon because someone stole a twinkie but you never know what could happen. If he chased him without it, what if the perp pulled a weapon then? The clerk would be defenseless.
I think it's similar to what may happen with a police officer. He'd pull his gun to stop you and arrest you but not shoot you. But if you struggled with him that could change things dramatically.
TTSkipper said:
I don't disagree that in the struggle he may have been afraid that the perp could have taken the gun and shot him, however why did he pull the gun in the first place? I was always taught that you do not pull a gun unless you intend to use it. Did the clerk really plan on popping the guy if he didn't stop, if not then he should have never taken the gun out.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top