Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question i have been asking and getting different answers..in states where SBR, fully auto, and suppressors are allowed say i want to get a SBR or build my own, do you get the tax stamp first then buy the rifle or the lower, or upper in FN's case that you want then send info back to BATF or do you buy the SBR, class 3 holds gun while you send in paperwork and wait on stamp?

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
The way you it works for suppressors ( assuming it's the same for sbr and full auto) is you purchase the product at the shop first, you fill out the form and send it in, wait for approval and then you can pick it up once your approved. The shop holds onto it until approval. I was talking to the owner of a local shop about suppressors and the process the other day.. I'll be buying a 9mm suppressor next time I come home. At least for silencers there are 3 ways to register.. CorporAtion, trust and individual, might be the same for sbrs as well.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i know about the trusts and the such so if i want to SBR my scar 17s i purchase the 13" upper from shop send the serial# from the upper to BATF along with paperwork and 200 bucks. upper stays at shop until tax stamp approved..go to shop with approved tax stamp show stamp walk out with upper...that sound right?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
ok i know about the trusts and the such so if i want to SBR my scar 17s i purchase the 13" upper from shop send the serial# from the upper to BATF along with paperwork and 200 bucks. upper stays at shop until tax stamp approved..go to shop with approved tax stamp show stamp walk out with upper...that sound right?
Yes. Unless any state laws to the contrary of course.

·
Registered
47 Posts
On an AR15 SBR, the lower is the serialized firearm. You can own multiple SBR and Non-SBR uppers as long as you have the Tax Stamp. You cannot legally attach your 13" upper without the tax stamp. While the 16" Upper is attached, the registered SBR lower is not considered an SBR so you can take it across state lines without submitting a form.

To SBR the SCAR17:
Submit a Form 1- which is an application to make an SBR.
You will need specifics of the SBR, such as serial number, manufacturer, caliber and overall length of the firearm. You need to find the correct overall length for a SCAR17 13" SBR for the Form 1.
When you receive the approved Form 1 with tax stamp, you can legally attach the 13"upper to the registered SBR lower.

On the AR, since the upper is not considered a "firearm" and is not a serialized part , the 13" upper doesn't need to stay at the shop. It should be in a separate location from the non SBR lower and in a way that it cannot be readily attached to the lower making an illegal SBR. If it's in your possession it should be disassembeled or made inoperable until the tax stamp arrives.

A silencer is considered a "firearm" and it must stay at the shop until a Form 4 w/tax stamp is approved. If you are making a silencer on a Form 1, you cannot have the parts or "make" it until the Form 1 is approved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.