Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I understand that you may only carry a concealed weapon to and from the range.

Because I don't hunt and never will, I don't comprehend all of the restrictions that go along with it. Is acquiring a hunting licence, on the other hand, going to help me in any way? Is it possible for me to bring my firearm upstate? My friend has a 40-acre property up there. Can I bring it with me if I'm travelling upstate for the weekend, staying in a hotel, and going target shooting? Camping, I believe, is a no-no. I was informed at South Shore Sportsman that you may carry your firearm to and from the gun store, but that it must be secured if you are taking it in for servicing.
And you have that on your person. Is it true that you may carry a concealed weapon to a gun store?

I heard you can carry if you're going to a gun show? If this is real, I'm not sure I understand because it's Hunting Target, or a gun shop.

Last but not least, through Centre County, I received my Pennsylvania CCW licence. Pittsburgh is where I spend a lot of my time. I fly and drive at different times. What's the best way to transport it there and back? I'm hesitant to check it/take it on the aircraft after what happened to that guy who was detained in Jersey for taking possession of his luggage when he never planned to end up in Jersey in the first place.
What if we had to land in Newark in an emergency? I definitely don't want to be him.

I did purchase a steel lock box Nanovault with cable for the car, etc., in order to be compliant; all I need to know now is what I can and cannot do.
Any more information would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
The default answer to anything beyond to/from a range and hunting is "no".

Reactions: RSL

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
Do not carry concealed while upstate. The restrictions are statewide. Going hunting, you may transport the firearms through NYC unloaded and properly secured.
While legally hunting, you are permitted to open carry the pistol/revolver on the land. Once you are finished hunting. You are under the restrictions.
Hopefully the SCOTUS decision will remove all restrictions. It will open up other states to offer an out of state pistol license.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Do not carry concealed while upstate. The restrictions are statewide. Going hunting, you may transport the firearms through NYC unloaded and properly secured.
While legally hunting, you are permitted to open carry the pistol/revolver on the land. Once you are finished hunting. You are under the restrictions.
Hopefully the SCOTUS decision will remove all restrictions. It will open up other states to offer an out of state pistol license.
Great reply! A lot of our folks think that they can carry in accordance with the County they are traveling in. If it's a restricted license, it's restricted Statewide. I would be shocked if we don't win some relief in SCOTUS. What reasonable Justice can accept that a person in one NY county has more rights than a person in another? I couldn't imagine that it would be permissible or accepted that a news or media agency in Dutchess County would have more freedom and Bill of Rights protection than a similar agency in Nassau County. Yet with firearms, it is completely accepted...just grab a latte, mock some Republicans, sip that cup with your pinky finger extended and not care one bit how elitist our leaders are here in this State.

Maybe it's the water in NY? In the Founding Era, people that would visit NYC would complain that the residents act as if they aren't part of the United States. It's like this attitude hasn't changed at all in two centuries. Some of the most liberal Northeast States permit full carry...in very liberal, gun hating Connecticut, you can even obtain a non-resident CCW with enough training hours. Massachusetts will even issue a non-resident CCW if you take the Mass. CCW course...which can be done right here on Long Island. What is wrong with this State?

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Great reply! A lot of our folks think that they can carry in accordance with the County they are traveling in. If it's a restricted license, it's restricted Statewide. I would be shocked if we don't win some relief in SCOTUS. What reasonable Justice can accept that a person in one NY county has more rights than a person in another? I couldn't imagine that it would be permissible or accepted that a news or media agency in Dutchess County would have more freedom and Bill of Rights protection than a similar agency in Nassau County. Yet with firearms, it is completely accepted...just grab a latte, mock some Republicans, sip that cup with your pinky finger extended and not care one bit how elitist our leaders are here in this State.

Maybe it's the water in NY? In the Founding Era, people that would visit NYC would complain that the residents act as if they aren't part of the United States. It's like this attitude hasn't changed at all in two centuries. Some of the most liberal Northeast States permit full carry...in very liberal, gun hating Connecticut, you can even obtain a non-resident CCW with enough training hours. Massachusetts will even issue a non-resident CCW if you take the Mass. CCW course...which can be done right here on Long Island. What is wrong with this State?
One of the issues is the "cover my rear" mentality of the licensing agent. They really feel they are responsible for anything negative done by a license holder. What would the media say if a license holder committed an act of violence with a firearm? The first question asked would be why was a license issued to this individual? How much is it going to cost the county when a victim files a lawsuit and how much will it cost if they win a lawsuit if they can prove the licensing agent didn't do due diligence before issuing the license? You are a ward of the state. It's like a parent/child relation. It's to the point that they tell you the firearm you paid for really isn't your property to take where you want for personal protection, even to another state where you are licensed to carry. So the more they can dig into your background AND the background of those living with you AND get the approval of four non-relatives, to exercise a constitutional right, the less likely they will have to answer hard questions later. Of course this is all done under the guise of public safety.

Reactions: RSL

·
Registered
215 Posts
Tomorrow could be the day….
I worry that the decision is being re-written to very narrowly or even NOT determine that "proper cause" is a violation of the Bill of Rights. The media and politicians went right to work to protect their precious New York Sullivan Law. Amazing how the media has redefined mass shootings. Now any shooting involving multiple people, even if it were gang bangers shooting it out, are mass shootings. Anything to inflate the numbers. Just like Covid.

That phone must be ringing off the hook in the Supreme Court. Can you imagine the pressure that the Conservative Justices must be under to rule in favor of New York? The intimidation of these Justices is unbelievable. An armed man and death threat of Justice Kavanaugh and not even a word of condemnation from the Biden Administration? This is just like the Summer of 2020. Barely a word of condemnation from Joe Biden. I think he made one sentence in May of 2020 and then barely a peep until he won the Election.

Frankly, both sides open disrespect of one another is terrible. I was raised that even if you didn't like a President's policies, you still respect the Office he holds. Now it's open contempt. A Branch of our Government is literally under attack and the other two Branches, don't care and their silence is open encouragement.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I agree. When I hear comments such as the comment from Eric Adams……”we will figure out a way to get around it” it clearly conveys that there is an effort to undermine any decision by the SCOTUS. By the way NY placed itself in this position by being so unwilling to exercise reasonable measures

As a LI resident the laws/administrative conditions imposed by our county prevents the issuance of CCWs.

This also criminalizes conduct that should not be criminal ( I understand every permit is a CCW with administrate conditions)- for example if you own two homes and take your firearm to your second home are you violating the permit conditions? If you have a CT CCW and stay in CT with your firearm you are ok but if you travel to a pistol range in upstate NY and stay the night you are in violation of your permit.

The current scheme ignores the right of law abiding citizens to posses a handgun outside the home.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree. When I hear comments such as the comment from Eric Adams……”we will figure out a way to get around it” it clearly conveys that there is an effort to undermine any decision by the SCOTUS. By the way NY placed itself in this position by being so unwilling to exercise reasonable measures

As a LI resident the laws/administrative conditions imposed by our county prevents the issuance of CCWs.

This also criminalizes conduct that should not be criminal ( I understand every permit is a CCW with administrate conditions)- for example if you own two homes and take your firearm to your second home are you violating the permit conditions? If you have a CT CCW and stay in CT with your firearm you are ok but if you travel to a pistol range in upstate NY and stay the night you are in violation of your permit.

The current scheme ignores the right of law abiding citizens to posses a handgun outside the home.
Of course NY brought this upon themselves. I've said it before. I couldn't imagine acceptance of a media outlet based in Dutchess County having more "freedom" to report news, than one in Nassau County. Yet this is exactly what we have with Pistol Licensing. They drag out the same tired arguments against us downstaters having a CCW because of the population. Yet cities and states with high populations, even in some cases more than NY are not having issues with civilian CCW. Chicago was brought up in the SCOTUS hearings as being successful with civilians CCW and with complete ignorance, Justice Sotomayer commented that Chicago was the gun death capital of the US, completely ignoring that these are with illegal guns. To these people, it's all the same.

I guess we'll have to wait until next week.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
You saw today’s decision?
Yes. I hope you don’t actually believe that the turds in this state arent working diligently to prevent that from ever happening for us in Nassau. Since when does a court decision that goes against their policies ever stopped them from simply ignoring it? While it appears to us as a victory, its a hollow one in this communist state.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts