Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Target analysis

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  xcentrk 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, I have have hit up Brookhaven the past two Sundays. Just looking to see if anyone has pointers for my thrid time out. Not sure if anyone can tell much from just looking at the targets as I am sure seeing a shoooter tells a lot more then just looking at paper afterwards but thought I'd ask anyhow. I printed some targets from the web, not sure if the words on the targets mean anything, but I seem to be a bit low and to the left on each one (I have a bunch more, all abouth the same pattern though). Here are my first day and second day targets from the CZ 75 SP-01 at the 12yd line. First day is on the left and the second day is on the right with the light behind the holes. I have a class scheduled with Foosel for next Sunday, just don't want to look like a complete newbie so wanted to get a few range days in before hand.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I would say that's a very good place to start. No one issue to be fixed. Your hand will steady with some more practice.

As stated above, dry fire practice constantly. It's free! It will build muscle memory of holding the gun steady when firing and stop you from pushing against the recoil.

Take some snap caps to the range. Mix them into your mags randomly. Ask those around you to mock you if you flinch when the gun goes click instead of bang.

#4 ·
That is quite a bit better. I would suggest getting an instructor to work one on one with you. Get someone with a background similar to the type of shooting you want to do. For instance if you want to shoot idpa find someone who is a master class shooter, defensive stuff someone with a mil/Leo instructor background. Better off investing now and developing great habits for the beginning.

#5 ·
Here is another tip. Get some fbi five circle targets and shoot those at 7 or 10 yards. They are white so you can get a great sight picture and since you don't have a little bullseye you don't run into shot anticipation problems. This was a driving force behind the usmc switching from the elp to cpp.

Reactions: xcentrk
#7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Will continue dry firing and have my friend mix some snap caps in when I hit the range next.

jarheadsergeant, I will get some of those targets and see how it goes. I have a one on one training scheduled next week as well. I rather train properly and not do any negative training so it's workth it to me.

Thanks again everyone.

#9 ·
Proper training is critical. People spend money on guns when they should spend it on instruction, targets and ammo. Depending on the type of shooting you'll be doing, a pistol with one trigger pulls helps considerably. That normally mean Glock or
. It shortens the training curve considerably.

Good luck

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Once Foosel squares you away I suggest doing MDTS Pistol 1…. I left that class more confident in defensive shooting ability. Chris is also a great instructor. I've done Pistol 1, 2 3, and low/no light shooting. Awesome, all of them.

Reactions: xcentrk
#12 ·
Thank you Tom for the offer. I was looking at them a while back before I even got my license, they look like a great training tool. Looking forward to my class with Chris as well. Want to get it started so I don't get comfortable with any bad habits.

Reactions: Huntington Guy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.