Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I paid a visit to Tactical on Jericho Turnpike in New Hyde Park.
Seems like a nice place, a little dimly lighted and not real busy. I inquired about the cost of transferring a long gun from a manufacturer out of state and advised the guy behind the counter that I live in New York but possess a Connecticut drivers license because of my primary residence.
He inquired why don't I use a dealer in Connecticut? Now it seems to me this is the first step of a business mistake in deferring a potiential customer to take their business elsewhere. He then continued to advise me that I needed to get my paperwork together to purchase the item. I asked him, besides my drivers license what paperwork was he talking about?
He stated, Well, you know the paperwork from Connecticut and their state regulations. I countered that he should be more concerned and informed about the New York State regulations on selling long guns over the counter to contiguous state residents, and there is no required paperwork other than the normal forms in his store (What a bozo!)

I have transacted a lot of firearms purchases on Long Island over the years and am amazed how some businesses allow store sitters to operate their business in the middle of the afternoon and give out misinformation. Needless to say I do have a LI dealer who is conduction the transfer for me as he has since 1993.

·
115:5
4,036 Posts
Redleg said:
...I live in New York but possess a Connecticut drivers license because of my primary residence.
He inquired why don't I use a dealer in Connecticut? Now it seems to me this is the first step of a business mistake in deferring a potiential customer to take their business elsewhere. .
Put yourself in his shoes. Here's a guy who on paper, and as far as he knows, lives in Connecticut. (all he has to go by is your DL) Yet he wants to transfer a gun in.. into a state he doesn't live in. I'd be thinking... "Why?" What's the reason? Is there some Conn. law he's trying to circumvent? This doesn't pass the sniff test. Do I want to risk my livelihood on this?" I would imagine he wants to know if what you're getting is legal in Conn. for one thing. Even if he's not legally obligated to do that, he has the right to.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cas said:
Put yourself in his shoes. Here's a guy who on paper, and as far as he knows, lives in Connecticut. (all he has to go by is your DL) Yet he wants to transfer a gun in.. into a state he doesn't live in. I'd be thinking... "Why?" What's the reason? Is there some Conn. law he's trying to circumvent? This doesn't pass the sniff test. Do I want to risk my livelihood on this?" I would imagine he wants to know if what you're getting is legal in Conn. for one thing. Even if he's not legally obligated to do that, he has the right to.
I trust you were not the guy behind the counter? (wink)
Smart business persons do not question legal sales and close the sale and at that point may ask a personal question. I place your premise in the same place as a dealer asking when you wish to purchase a firearm: "Do you want to shoot someone with the firearm?"

Here is another bit of misinformation posed on this forum: A member visits T&T Gunnery who is a resident of NYC and states the counter persons don't pay him much mind as they know he cannot purchase certain firearms on LI. This is not true of course and the sale may also include so-called semi-auto assault rifles. NYC resident may purchase and own certain banned semi-auto rifles, however they cannot possess them within the NYC limits.

My position on this is that it is no one's business what your intentions are with a purchased firearm as long as your purhase is legal within the state fo purchase. For anyone to disagree with this would be taking a similar position with Mayor Michael Bloomberg's position of a ban on all out of state purchases and transfers.

I do appriciate your opinion.

·
Banned
5,707 Posts
seems like it would be a NICS check and thats it - if a store was skeptical I could see them inquiring about CT laws

also from my understanding of the law long guns from bordering states are no issue as long as you pass a NICs (dont know if this applies to NYC)

I havent encountered this before if anyone has better knowledge or literature on this topic I would also like to know the law.

and as cas has stated I think most shops in NY are pretty nervous and would probably think twice about any transaction that made them feel uncomfortable (mainly because they are not familiar with the laws other than day to day transactions), regardless of "law", seems like no matter how legal a transaction might be if a DA or someone really wanted they can find a loophole and create a nightmare for someone.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
_ said:
seems like it would be a NICS check and thats it - if a store was skeptical I could see them inquiring about CT laws

also from my understanding of the law long guns from bordering states are no issue as long as you pass a NICs (dont know if this applies to NYC)

I havent encountered this before if anyone has better knowledge or literature on this topic I would also like to know the law.

and as cas has stated I think most shops in NY are pretty nervous and would probably think twice about any transaction that made them feel uncomfortable (mainly because they are not familiar with the laws other than day to day transactions), regardless of "law", seems like no matter how legal a transaction might be if a DA or someone really wanted they can find a loophole and create a nightmare for someone.
The contiguous state restriction was a federal limitation enacted in 1968 that was removed in 1986. See the BATF newsletter of August 2004 on page 2 of http://www.atf.gov/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-2004-08.pdf

ATF takes the position that if the laws
of a given State allow its residents to acquire a long
gun in a contiguous State, those laws also allow its
residents to acquire a long gun in any other State
where the laws of that State permit such
transactions, unless the language contained in that
State's law expressly prohibits it residents from
acquiring a firearm outside that State.
From 1968 to 1986 Federal law stated that the states have to allow contiguous state purchases for them to be legal. NY state passed a law allowing such purchases. Nowhere does NY State law state that non-contiguous state purchases are illegal. See NY State Penal Law quoted below:
§ 265.40 Purchase of rifles and/or shotguns in contiguous states.
Definitions. As used in this act:
1. "Contiguous state" shall mean any state having any portion of its
border in common with a portion of the border of the state of New York;
2. All other terms herein shall be given the meaning prescribed in
Public Law 90-618 known as the "Gun Control Act of l968" (18 U.S.C.
921).
It shall be lawful for a person or persons residing in this state, to
purchase or otherwise obtain a rifle and/or shotgun in a contiguous
state, and to receive or transport such rifle and/or shotgun into this
state; provided, however, such person is otherwise eligible to possess a
rifle and/or shotgun under the laws of this state.

Note: The gun has to be NY legal and in-person purchase by non-residents of a state can only be done through FFLs of that state.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.