Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been kicking around the idea to update my oil heating system and had someone showing me this model System 2000 from Kinetic Energy. Said it's the most efficient etc... anyone familiar with oil heating systems ?

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
I have one. My friend/neighbor is in the business (used to own an oil company and now works for the company that bought him out). When I needed a new boiler a few years back, he told me that's the one to get - he has it and so does the guy who installed it.

It works well, but I haven't compared it to my old unit and median temperatures and all that....

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I installed the Buderous 215-4, 5 years ago very efficient and easy to clean . I didnt install the logamatic control order without and use a aquastat . ....Little info ,,
Buderus developed a full three-pass system which increases the efficiency of the boilers . with single-pass boilers , the flue products have only one chance to heat the water. Buderus three-pass boilers triple this opportunity. The unique way heat flows through the G215 boiler allows the water to be heated three separate times. The full 3 inch thick thermal insulation helps to maintain a higher water temperature even after the boiler has gone into standby mode. The distinctive chamber design of the buderus G215 also allows for nearly silent operation."

·
Not a participant of the LIF circle jerk.
662 Posts
Buderus has a proven track record. I have a Viessman which is also very good but less popular in this region. Not sure if you can benefit from a Mod Con but that is also something to look into. High-end triple pass boilers are roughly 86%AFUE (in the labratory) the modcons are 95+%.

ShortCircuit:
Why no Logamatic??

·
Registered
750 Posts
System 2000 is a great product. I did some research and it is extremely efficient. Also expensive. $11000 was the quote I got. Friend of mine has it and does well with it but the savings would take about 10 years to break even when fuel oil was $3.50 a gallon. That's what we calculated in comparison to the oil burner I have now and our usage. If I had spare cash I would be happy to purchase it but you know how that is.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
System 2000 is a great product. I did some research and it is extremely efficient. Also expensive. $11000 was the quote I got. Friend of mine has it and does well with it but the savings would take about 10 years to break even when fuel oil was $3.50 a gallon. That's what we calculated in comparison to the oil burner I have now and our usage. If I had spare cash I would be happy to purchase it but you know how that is.
My house is on the smaller side, so I might not have needed such a big unit (there's a joke in there somewhere). I had a friend get it for me and a mutual friend put it in - but I don't think it cost me 1/2 that.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah , I was quoted 10k installed with water holding tank and 3 heat zones. Sounds super efficient and almost silent operation. Other quotes for other hi efficient units varied from 7-8.5k with water tank, so the system 2000 doesnt seem like too much of a stretch if it can save that much on oil.
Also not sure if I would have to change out the chimney liner too since it's exhausts are much colder/condensation.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My house is on the smaller side, so I might not have needed such a big unit (there's a joke in there somewhere). I had a friend get it for me and a mutual friend put it in - but I don't think it cost me 1/2 that.
Yes sorry, $10k for system and $1k for stainless chimney liner. The manufacturing company only works with specific reps to provide the equipment and install is my understanding so getting one from a non-company rep I thought was not possible. I have a friend in the industry and he can get anything and install anything. He can't get a system 2000 himself without going through his company. Sounds like your friend would like to have me as a friend, or vice versa.

The only thing I worry about with these high efficiency systems is the computer board integrations that exist as part of their hardware. In a power outage I'm worried the dirty power of a portable generator would potentially damage the computer circuits. I've read that it's a concern. In the real world though I'm unsure. My burner fired up and ran without a hitch back feeding with my generator. It uses minimal energy to run also.

·
Banned
499 Posts
I have a Buderus w/logamatic. Very efficient and quiet, no problems in the 5 years I've had it. It can also be converted to run natural gas.

My neighbor is an oil burner tech, I gave him the cash and he ordered the whole system from Acme in Amityville. We did the install together, saved thousands.

As far as running a genny, I had one of these installed so my Yamaha 2000 could run the burner alone. My big genny for the whole house when needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-TF151W-Single-Circuit-Generator-Generators/dp/B000HRWG8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442752940&sr=8-1&keywords=Oil+burner+transfer+switch

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
I went with a System 2000 in my house in 2010 about 2 months after I bought the house. The old boiler burner was probably 30 years old and the clay lining in the chimney was crumbling. I went with the direct vent option, it cost about the same price as lining the chimney and when I put a small extension on my master bedroom to make a suite I can rip out the old chimney which would be in the way. The cost is high but for my 2600sq foot high ranch with just so so insulation I used about $2500 worth of oil this past year. I can't really compare it though because the old boiler died so soon after we bought the house. I ran it on my cheap 3500w genny during Sandy for 8 days on and off.

The System 2000 can be converted to run NG. The guy who installed mine, a contractor through Petro said he has one and has both the oil and ng guns, when he does a NG conversion for someone he buys their leftover oil cheap and swaps back to the oil gun.
Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have a Buderus w/logamatic. Very efficient and quiet, no problems in the 5 years I've had it. It can also be converted to run natural gas.

My neighbor is an oil burner tech, I gave him the cash and he ordered the whole system from Acme in Amityville. We did the install together, saved thousands.

As far as running a genny, I had one of these installed so my Yamaha 2000 could run the burner alone. My big genny for the whole house when needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-TF151W-Single-Circuit-Generator-Generators/dp/B000HRWG8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442752940&sr=8-1&keywords=Oil+burner+transfer+switch
Does that have an inverter built into it to clean up the sine wave of a portable genny? I have a receptacle with an interlock mechanism so hooking up the genny to my house isn't the issue. I'm worried the dirty power will fry the comouter circuits that come in high efficiency burners. I've read that was a specific concern when researching the system 2000. I imagine all new high efficiency burners would be a concern if this is true.

As NG becomes available, switching energy source and updating the burner is a great solution. If gas isn't available yet many burners have a torch for both oil and another for NG. System 2000 is one of them. Oil prices are very low and my politicians tell me they will stay low. I feel very comforted in that....

·
Banned
499 Posts
Does that have an inverter built into it to clean up the sine wave of a portable genny? I have a receptacle with an interlock mechanism so hooking up the genny to my house isn't the issue. I'm worried the dirty power will fry the comouter circuits that come in high efficiency burners. I've read that was a specific concern when researching the system 2000. I imagine all new high efficiency burners would be a concern if this is true.

As NG becomes available, switching energy source and updating the burner is a great solution. If gas isn't available yet many burners have a torch for both oil and another for NG. System 2000 is one of them. Oil prices are very low and my politicians tell me they will stay low. I feel very comforted in that....
I am no expert, but the Yamaha is an inverter type generator that gives out clean energy. I'm sure people much better in the know will chime in.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I had a Peerless boiler that gave me nothing but grief so in 2008 I had a Biasi B-10 boiler installed. Its similar to a Buderus. Its a 3 pass boiler and comes with a Riello burner. I have 2 zones for heat and the third is my hot water which is a Vaughn stone lined tank. I think its 50 gallon. It also needed less draft which was a plus for me since my 115 year old house had some issues with the chimney. The AFUE rating for a Biasi is 87%. I get is cleaned every Fall and so far its been great. The most important thing was finding a service guy that knows how to work with Riello burners.
I buy my fuel once a year (1K tank) and Ive been getting it from the same guy for over 20 years. He always gives me a good price. The downside is his service guys. I get the boiler serviced by another oil company thats a few blocks over from me and Ive known the owner for 25+ years. He actually worked for the guy that I buy my fuel from and eventually went into business on his own.
Look into the Biasi boiler. Im not sure how much it was but I think it was under $6500.

·
III%
1,864 Posts
meh... depending on how big your house is.. Peerless wbv3 or wbv4... If you have the money, Id go buderus with the logmatic controller... but if you get the controller.. Read the book front to back back to front sideways...

·
Registered
750 Posts
So if I go with one of these system 2000 or hi efficiency buderus - do I need to put in a stainless steel liner to replace the clay liner there now ?
I was told when heating guy came to my house for the estimate that yes it is necessary. I'm sure there are guys on here that are in the business and will respond.

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
It's not *all* about effficiency, which may sound insane coming from a "greenie", but you have to calculate TCO just like a car- just because a car has great mileage doesn't mean it will get you from pointy A to point B for the lowest cost. And triple pass does not mean three times the efficiency, far from it because of the laws of thermodynamics and diminishing returns.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.