Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
That sucks.
Hogue makes decent replacement grips for 3rd gen Smiths.
Good luck.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
I have a 4566 with Hogues. I think I have the originals. If I do and if my original grips fit your gun, they're yours for a forum donation.

Reactions: bigbore44

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
You may be eligible for FREE GRIPS for your 5906. I had crappy grips on my 3904 and posted a question on the S&W Board (the source of all possible wisdom about S&W's). Here's one of the responses I got. I called S&W Friday and they said no problem and would ship them to me at no charge. What you have to look for is a dimple on the new stock. If it's there, it's a new grip, if not, and of course it's not there, IS IT? you get one on S&W. (Even if you don't like 'em, might as well have 'em around.)

RECALL: Smith & Wesson has shipped over 300,000 Third generation Pistols. We have had a very small number or reports where a dropped pistol resulted in a broken grip resulting in a failure to fire by releasing mainspring tension. Resultant testing and review have shown that a pistol dropped at a specific angle can cause a fracture of the grip.

As a result of these occurrences and our testing, we have made a change in the grip material to a thermoplastic alloy of increased durability. This new material, which is now being used on all current production models, can be identified by a dimple on the bottom of the grip, next to the large opening. Additionally, the blue product box has a green dot sticker on the label end.

We believe it unlikely that you will experience any problem with your original grips. However, in order to safeguard our customers from the possibility of such a malfunction, we will make available, free of charge, an easily installed replacement grip. Please inspect your pistol and if you have a model listed below that does not have a small dimple next to the large opening, please write us including your model and serial number or call 800-338-2466. If you prefer, you can send your pistol to a Smith & Wesson Warranty Station where we will replace the grip for you.

Models Affected:

3904, 3906, 3913, 3913LS, 3914, 3914LS, 1006, 1066, 4506, 4516, 4516-1, 5903, 5904, 5906, 5946, 6904, 6906 & 6946

Smith & Wesson's development process is a continuing one. We are constantly striving both to develop new products and improve existing products. We are committed to building the safest, most reliable, finest performing firearms possible.

·
Anti-Statist
5,359 Posts
Sweet Cthulhu. I forgot how awful those were to remove. I've had hogues on my 5906 forever.

My roommate has a 5903 that I love with the original thin plastic grips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.