Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Triple Distilled Unfiltered Truth
3,247 Posts
Got this from a former coworker and friend tonight while we were texting during the debate. 6 years ago this man proclaimed to be very much in favor of gun control: "assault weapon" , magazine and semi-auto bans; universal background checks and a restrictive may-issue supporter at best. You name it he was pretty much for it.

Working with me and a close friend of mine challenged him - and this man previously lived for many years in the South. We would violently debate him and shove every statistical fact and bit of legal knowledge we had at him, point out every hypocrisy he spewed. Rarely did anything.

During the start of the 2013 gun-control debates, from some unknown reason to us, he wanted to become "a responsible gun owner". We had our doubts and viewed it more as he just wanted to become yet another Fudd voice, someone claiming support for the 2nd but was also "reasonable for the times", but we guided him with his first purchase and taught him proper safety. As time went by after this he eventually started to ask more questions with more genuine interest regarding lots of different things. He sent me the attached text.

Some months ago my cousin (who after Sandy Hook believed that the 2nd Amendment needed to be repealed, hates guns and abhorred private ownership) asked me to take him to the range one day. My initial internal reaction was "why the fnck would I ever do that?", but I figured exposure would be the best start at education. While he's still far from a staunch 2A supporter, now he hounds me to continually take him back to the range whenever I go because I told him I wouldn't help him pick out a shotgun yet until I knew he could demonstrated more comfort and better handling. He really can't wait, and asks more questions now regarding the laws.

My point is, it's easy to turn our backs to those who who don't support what we believe. Be sure to remember a real education goes a long way. One person at a time: one becomes two, becomes four, becomes eight and so on. This is why I'm never truly worried we won't win in the long run. Education trumps ignorance.

Attachments

·
3,247 Posts
too few people share the opinion that all semi autos should be banned, in America.

The main fight is against the idiots who want to ban "assault weapons"
Make sure they don't ban those, and semi autos in general will never be touched upon
When they think semi-auto means "3 round burst" and assault weapon means "fully automatic bullet sprayer", that "too few" statistic becomes "too many".

Education.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
Great point, and one that gets overlooked when some noob on here posts some sort of "moderate" position, and then gets corn-holed rather than politely, but firmly re-educated with facts and logic.

I grew up a city kid in a non gun family. Acquired my first fun at 18. Within ten years I'm pistol shooting with my dad, trap with my mom. Between my dad and my brothers, four new NRA members. People can change, the light goes on; but the problem is scraping away the decades of false claims and fear mongering. "you're more likely to shoot a family member than a burglar"...."you don't have the training to know what to do to save your life with a gun"...."you'll shoot your eye out"..."shootouts at the OK coral" and so forth.

I always advise showing guns as safe first, fun second and then go for the political and constitutional conversion.

·
3,247 Posts
Grif, sometimes even complete knowledge of the law does nothing for some. It's odd.

I have a distant uber-lib family member in PA who is an attorney. He always tried to reduce carry arguments to "unrestricted open carry apocalypse" situation debates. His own words, "I don't want to be caught in a shootout between some hot heads over a parking spot". He's lived in PA his whole life. I reminded him PA has permitless open carry, and asked how many times that's happened to him or someone he knows or heard in the news. Still waiting for an answer on that one....

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Great point, and one that gets overlooked when some noob on here posts some sort of "moderate" position, and then gets corn-holed rather than politely, but firmly re-educated with facts and logic.

I grew up a city kid in a non gun family. Acquired my first fun at 18. Within ten years I'm pistol shooting with my dad, trap with my mom. Between my dad and my brothers, four new NRA members. People can change, the light goes on; but the problem is scraping away the decades of false claims and fear mongering. "you're more likely to shoot a family member than a burglar"...."you don't have the training to know what to do to save your life with a gun"...."you'll shoot your eye out"..."shootouts at the OK coral" and so forth.

I always advise showing guns as safe first, fun second and then go for the political and constitutional conversion.
Noob's presenting themselves as moderates to troll and push their manifesto thesis filled with antis positions upon us is entirely different than the OPs experience.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Isn't EVERY thing used to assault someone an "assault" weapon?

Reactions: Lovemyglock
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.