Long Island Shooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
FNo need to stress over Robert’s. Bush senior gave us Souter another disaster of a judge. The son hoist Robert’s at us, a total disgrace to the robe. But we have Amy Barrett who believes in the second amendment. She will be the difference maker in a 5-4 decision striking down NYs draconian restrictions.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
unless the demoncraps pack the court first.

·
Registered
11,565 Posts
Every County has its own "Policy", like being fingerprinted when moving to another county etc.
Policy doesn't make it legal....

Reactions: NRATC53

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Policy doesn't make it legal....
Even with part time residency and keeping the original county pistol license is allowed. The County is allowed to place restrictions and have a policy they use.
You will need an attorney to actually intervene with helping you achieve those rights under New York law.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I live in a state with concealed carry, and where open carry is legal. I have no problems with a background check as long as LE realizes the applicant isn't applying to the CIA or FBI! The persons who apply and granted a permit/license to teach the CHP course required to obtain a CHP, come in many flavors. You have varied personalities from the military firearms instructor wannabes who set up strict proficiency standards, to those who set up reasonable proficiency standards based upon the most common self defense scenarios. Some forget that they are not training Olympic or benchrest shooters, they are insuring that a person can handle the person's chosen firearm properly and will not endanger others with poor firearm skills.

I prefer instructors who clearly define/explain state law covering the use of deadly force, when you are allowed to use it, and what can happen afterwards. A good instructor will also cover shoot/don't shoot scenarios.

Our state CHP program has created a cottage industry of instructors who offer a CHP course. The course is two days, generally one classroom day and a range day for proficiency. The average cost is $100.00 plus or minus. A certification from a licensed instructor is required to obtain a CHP.

If NY would become a "shall issue" state, I would assume the state would adopt a similar or possibly more stringent program depending upon where on resides in NY.

A side note to this: When the CHP program was created in 1994, many including some law enforcement cried "shootout at every traffic altercation!" Law enforcement has since admitted that the preceding did not occur and now generally supports the CHP program. There are some sheriffs in mostly liberal counties who are a PITA with respect to issuing CHPs' however it has been successful. Additionally the state attaches you CHP info to your driver's license so when you are stopped by a LEO, they already know you have a CHP. We still have a duty to inform any CEO when officially approached for any reason.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If scotus slaps down NYS and the counties who grossly restrict their licenses, I can see NYS instituting a required class to obtain a permit. I can also see them making the class ridiculously expensive and prohibitive (think 24 hours of classroom with a 500 question test, plus be required to pass the same qualification course as the Federal Air Marshals every year or two years...)

"Oh, I'm sorry, you can't pass the test and the qual, you can't get your permit. You can retake the class in 6 months..."

I pray I am wrong, but I just don't see any kind of SCOTUS ruling that makes NYS a "$25 and three week wait to get your permit" kind of state like so many others already are... I think no matter what way the court swings, we aren't going to see any radical beat down by the court.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
No "letter" is needed, it's clearly spelled out in State Law....
See, this is where I see an issue, then every county should have the same process for licensing, correct ? Nassau, Suffolk, Delaware and every other county have the same application process for driver's licensing, why is a completely different process allowed, at the county level, for pistol licensing ? Apparently the first 6 months of acquiring your pistol license in Suffolk is the county questionnaire and form, northing to do with the state application, which I have no idea why has not been challenged legally.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
See, this is where I see an issue, then every county should have the same process for licensing, correct ? Nassau, Suffolk, Delaware and every other county have the same application process for driver's licensing, why is a completely different process allowed, at the county level, for pistol licensing ? Apparently the first 6 months of acquiring your pistol license in Suffolk is the county questionnaire and form, northing to do with the state application, which I have no idea why has not been challenged legally.
Every County will have a policy, it's unfair that many people will follow their rules when the state will allow you to keep a pistol license when you move to a different county with a change of address only or apply for a part time license. This is where an attorney will be needed to show cause why they denied you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not sure what would be worse, keeping it on a county level, or making it a state level process like the DMV...

if it was run by the troopers, would it be any better? Or would having it under the state control mean the rabid anti gun gov and NYC run legislature could shut it down... or handicap it so bad it could take years to get a license..?

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Not sure what would be worse, keeping it on a county level, or making it a state level process like the DMV...

if it was run by the troopers, would it be any better? Or would having it under the state control mean the rabid anti gun gov and NYC run legislature could shut it down... or handicap it so bad it could take years to get a license..?
The original intent of PL400 was to make the licensing system uniformed throughout the state. Unfortunately when power was granted to the individual licensing authorities to establish various restrictions the original intent was tossed out the window.

The SC now has to decide a very fundamental question, does the 2nd Amendment recognize the individual right of ALL law abiding citizens to carry a firearm outside the home for personal protection. NYS currently only recognizes that right under special circumstances (business carry, specific threats against an individual, etc.). Most of the country understands these special circumstances should not apply. It's only the elites in NY, NJ, CA and a few other places that don't get it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If scotus slaps down NYS and the counties who grossly restrict their licenses, I can see NYS instituting a required class to obtain a permit. I can also see them making the class ridiculously expensive and prohibitive
This is exactly what the state legislature is going to do and more. The only way to get lasting positive change in the state is for 2A activists and the groups that ostensibly represent them to be involved in Democrat party politics, go to their events and participate in their elections.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
This is exactly what the state legislature is going to do and more. The only way to get lasting positive change in the state is for 2A activists and the groups that ostensibly represent them to be involved in Democrat party politics, go to their events and participate in their elections.
A lot depends on how clearly the SC ruling is on the issue.

Reactions: NRATC53

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nobody in Albany cares one bit what SCOTUS rules. They will do as they please because there is zero pushback against them.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
A few counties will list berry picking atv riding hiking hunting target for carrying concealed. Those restrictions are as close to getting full carry in those counties. A few counties required a course to have the restrictions lifted. Hopefully the SCOTUS will make it a full carry license.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
I live in a state with concealed carry, and where open carry is legal. I have no problems with a background check as long as LE realizes the applicant isn't applying to the CIA or FBI! The persons who apply and granted a permit/license to teach the CHP course required to obtain a CHP, come in many flavors. You have varied personalities from the military firearms instructor wannabes who set up strict proficiency standards, to those who set up reasonable proficiency standards based upon the most common self defense scenarios. Some forget that they are not training Olympic or benchrest shooters, they are insuring that a person can handle the person's chosen firearm properly and will not endanger others with poor firearm skills.

I prefer instructors who clearly define/explain state law covering the use of deadly force, when you are allowed to use it, and what can happen afterwards. A good instructor will also cover shoot/don't shoot scenarios.

Our state CHP program has created a cottage industry of instructors who offer a CHP course. The course is two days, generally one classroom day and a range day for proficiency. The average cost is $100.00 plus or minus. A certification from a licensed instructor is required to obtain a CHP.

If NY would become a "shall issue" state, I would assume the state would adopt a similar or possibly more stringent program depending upon where on resides in NY.

A side note to this: When the CHP program was created in 1994, many including some law enforcement cried "shootout at every traffic altercation!" Law enforcement has since admitted that the preceding did not occur and now generally supports the CHP program. There are some sheriffs in mostly liberal counties who are a PITA with respect to issuing CHPs' however it has been successful. Additionally the state attaches you CHP info to your driver's license so when you are stopped by a LEO, they already know you have a CHP. We still have a duty to inform any CEO when officially approached for any reason.
That is always the strawman trotted out by those who would keep denying people's rights. History has shown it to be false, yet they still bring it out and shake it every time

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
I said this to Tim Sini and the head of SCPD PLS when we met. I told them FL issued the same full carry in Miami as in Okeechobee. Their response: "Well, when something happens there they go after the state, when something happens here they come after us". My reply: "Well then you have just explained it. You aren't worried about anyone's rights, or crime- You are just covering your asses, nothing more- Just to be clear"

Edit: I can't type

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I said this to Tim Sini and the head of SCPD PLS when we met. I told them FL issued the same full carry in Miami as in Okeechobee. Their response: "Well, when something happens there they go after the state, when something happens here they come after us". My reply: "Well then you have just explained it. You aren't worried about anyone's rights, or crime- You are just covering your asses, nothing more- Just to be clear"

Edit: I can't type
The Suffolk County Executive runs the show. The County Executive tells his PC how to run the pistol license section.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts