Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
The Governor and Mayor will be fighting this and passing laws and restrictions. Nothing changes as per the NYPD commissioner. You get caught carrying with a Premise or Target license you will be arrested.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,664 Posts
It would appear, from my reading of the decision, that all “red flag” laws are also void, based on the fact that the court has made it clear that Constitutionally-protected rights cannot be arbitrarily infringed or infringed because someone tells a government agency that s/he thinks you might be a problem.
Gary

·
6,664 Posts
The Governor and Mayor will be fighting this and passing laws and restrictions. Nothing changes as per the NYPD commissioner. You get caught carrying with a Premise or Target license you will be arrested.
I'm looking forward to seeing that first arrest, for "carrying out of class" or "outside of restrictions." Since SCOTUS has already ruled that "proper cause" is unConstitutional, any attempt to enforce same would be an intentional violation of one's Constitutional rights, which can carry severe penalties. Even Justice Breyer, in his dissent (page 116), admits that the allowable definition of "sensitive places" is going to be very limited. Additionally, the text of the decision (page 28), clearly states: "But expanding the category of “sensitive places” simply to all places of public congregation that are not isolated from law enforcement defines the category of “sensitive places” far too broadly."
Gary

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
It would appear, from my reading of the decision, that all “red flag” laws are also void, based on the fact that the court has made it clear that Constitutionally-protected rights cannot be arbitrarily infringed or infringed because someone tells a government agency that s/he thinks you might be a problem.
Gary
Gary, the ruling is a huge win for every law abiding gun owner. Unfortunately, we are seeing the liberal progressives looking at passing more restrictions on carrying a concealed firearm in public.

·
6,664 Posts
Gary, the ruling is a huge win for every law abiding gun owner. Unfortunately, we are seeing the liberal progressives looking at passing more restrictions on carrying a concealed firearm in public.
I think that the court has made it clear that restrictions, on concealed carrying, are going to be frowned upon and attempting to circumvent that, by defining a new category of "sensitive areas" is not going to be acceptable, even by the dissenting justices.
Gary

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing that first arrest, for "carrying out of class" or "outside of restrictions." Since SCOTUS has already ruled that "proper cause" is unConstitutional, any attempt to enforce same would be an intentional violation of one's Constitutional rights, which can carry severe penalties. Even Justice Breyer, in his dissent (page 116), admits that the allowable definition of "sensitive places" is going to be very limited. Additionally, the text of the decision (page 28), clearly states: "But expanding the category of “sensitive places” simply to all places of public congregation that are not isolated from law enforcement defines the category of “sensitive places” far too broadly."
Gary
Gary, I was already contacted by someone with a restricted pistol license if he could carry in NYC and New Jersey because of the ruling.
I informed him to wait to hear from his issuing agencies policy on how to remove his restrictions before attempting to carry concealed anywhere.
He is under the impression like you said it would be a violation of his civil rights if he’s arrested exercising his Second amendment right.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I would not take the risk of getting arrested to then have to have the issue rectified by the courts.

Maybe instead — drop off a written request in the Nassau Pistol licensing division requesting that restrictions be removed. Or would you expect the County to issue instructions on how to apply for restrictions removal?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great decision by the supreme court but the fact that you still need a permit to even purchase a handgun to keep in your home means our 2nd amendment rights are still being infringed upon. While I believe in constitutional carry I can live with shall issue licensing laws for concealed carry as long as the licenses are swiftly issued in a reasonable time (like in FL for example). But to not be able to walk into a gun store and purchase a handgun without a permit is still a massive infringement.
Agree 100% with this!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Gary, I was already contacted by someone with a restricted pistol license if he could carry in NYC and New Jersey because of the ruling.
I informed him to wait to hear from his issuing agencies policy on how to remove his restrictions before attempting to carry concealed anywhere.
He is under the impression like you said it would be a violation of his civil rights if he’s arrested exercising his Second amendment right.
So a valid question would be; are the licensing agencies going to be proactive or reactive. In other words, are they going to contact us regarding how to remove this restriction, or do we have to take the next step and file a license amendment for unrestricted carry without the need to state proper cause?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would not take the risk of getting arrested to then have to have the issue rectified by the courts.

Maybe instead — drop off a written request in the Nassau Pistol licensing division requesting that restrictions be removed. Or would you expect the County to issue instructions on how to apply for restrictions removal?
The restrictions are not law. You cannot be arrested for carrying outside of going to and from the range. You did not violate any law. It is not criminal possession of a weapon because you have a license. This does NOT apply to carrying in NYC with a non NYC license. For that, you can be arrested for criminal possession of a weapon because in sec 400 it states that our licenses are not valid in NYC

·
Registered
111 Posts
My Pistol License says SPORTSMAN TYPE: CARRY .I wa told by the Suffolk Country Sheriff when he came to my house for my interview 5 yrs ago that I was able to go to the range and back and Carry my Pistol in a my Holster as long as it was concealed. Now do i have a Concealed Carry Permit or what ???
My sportsman came from suffolk pd. I called them this afternoon and the answer i got was that the sportsman restriction can no longer impede conceal carry. I asked in plain terms “so i may carry unrestricted”. She replied “yes just be careful as some law enforcement may not be familiar with the court ruling” but the official stance of licensing bureau is that the sportsman restriction to a NYS CCW is no longer valid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I skimmed through the whole decision and to me it seems like while they are clear that shall issue licensing for concealed carry is allowed (as in 43 other states) the current NYS scheme of licensing to even purchase a handgun is unconstitutional and should be null and void. You should be allowed to purchase a handgun to keep in home and to take locked to a range just as you can currently do with a rifle and shotgun. Anyone else reading this the same way?

·
Registered
150 Posts
My sportsman came from suffolk pd. I called them this afternoon and the answer i got was that the sportsman restriction can no longer impede conceal carry. I asked in plain terms “so i may carry unrestricted”. She replied “yes just be careful as some law enforcement may not be familiar with the court ruling” but the official stance of licensing bureau is that the sportsman restriction to a NYS CCW is no longer valid.
Wow.
I'm going to wait for absolute confirmation on this, but if those end up being the facts, that is great.
Any chance she said anything about how SCPD PLB is going to formally announce/document any of this?

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is great news. One thing to point out though. The sportsman restriction to a NYS CCW is no longer valid, but the prohibition on carrying in NYC still is valid being that is LAW spelled out in section 400. The restrictions were never in the penal code.

·
Registered
563 Posts
So, literally, overnight, our restricted NYS concealed carry license changed into an unrestricted NYS concealed carry license. This is terrific news, but it just sounds just a little too good to be true. I really expected at least some sort of "hoop jumping" exercise would be imposed. I mean, like, is the Police Commissioner on board with this? I guess we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Pistol Permit is up for renewal at the end of next month. I'll see if the Sheriff's Office in Riverhead removes the Sportsman Restriction from my License or not !.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I would be careful— if the above is correct - for example in Nassau- they should simply charge you $10 to issue a new permit with no administrative restrictions. The same $10 they charge you when they add a new pistol to the back of your license. Also some jurisdictions will only have reciprocity with unrestricted CCWs so a new permit should be issued.

The above Suffolk County position is great news of a jurisdiction not fighting the SCOTUS ruling.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Adding restrictions to "sensitive places" is really going to boggle up the LEO / retired LEO carve outs. Minimally, a retired LEO's license will be the same as the rest of ours. It's going to make the carve outs a lot more complicated. The PBAs are going to go broke sending lobbyists to Albany while all these "sensitive places" laws are drawn up.
Sorry to bust your bubble, but todays decision will not have an effect on QRLEO’s, as it pertains to LEOSA privileges.

21 - 40 of 162 Posts