Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BREAKING: Supreme Court strikes down New York's concealed gun law in major ruling for gun rights. From the AP: The Supreme Court, in a 6-3 opinion, ruled that New York’s restrictions on the concealed carry of firearms in public violates the Second Amendment. The opinion invalidates the state’s requirement for people to show “proper cause” to get pubic carry licenses.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is there anything stopping NY’s politicians from rushing another unconstitutional law right in its place?
I am not a legal mind, but the news keeps going on about sensitive places. I haven't read the whole decision, but will NY make sensitive places the new "proper cause" to restrict maybe not licenses, but where you can carry them?

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I am not a legal mind, but the news keeps going on about sensitive places. I haven't read the whole decision, but will NY make sensitive places the new "proper cause" to restrict maybe not licenses, but where you can carry them?
Need to invest in the companies that put out all those "Mask Required" signs the last couple of years. they are going to be overwhelmed with requests for "NO GUNS"signs for schools, theatres, public buildings, restaurants, grocery stores, parks, 7-11s, take-out joints, etc. etc. etc. I will be on the wrong side of the grass before Newyorkistan gives up the ghost on this.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Adding restrictions to "sensitive places" is really going to boggle up the LEO / retired LEO carve outs. Minimally, a retired LEO's license will be the same as the rest of ours. It's going to make the carve outs a lot more complicated. The PBAs are going to go broke sending lobbyists to Albany while all these "sensitive places" laws are drawn up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
6-3 Ruling Thomas has written the decision!!!
Get the amendment forms for full carry!
My Pistol License says SPORTSMAN TYPE: CARRY .I wa told by the Suffolk Country Sheriff when he came to my house for my interview 5 yrs ago that I was able to go to the range and back and Carry my Pistol in a my Holster as long as it was concealed. Now do i have a Concealed Carry Permit or what ???

·
Registered
198 Posts
I’m
My Pistol License says SPORTSMAN TYPE: CARRY .I wa told by the Suffolk Country Sheriff when he came to my house for my interview 5 yrs ago that I was able to go to the range and back and Carry my Pistol in a my Holster as long as it was concealed. Now do i have a Concealed Carry Permit or what ???
curious about the same thing

·
Still a David Crockett kid
2,771 Posts
Adding restrictions to "sensitive places" is really going to boggle up the LEO / retired LEO carve outs. Minimally, a retired LEO's license will be the same as the rest of ours. It's going to make the carve outs a lot more complicated. The PBAs are going to go broke sending lobbyists to Albany while all these "sensitive places" laws are drawn up.
I think you may be right
but it didn't take them long to carve themselves out of the original "Safe Acts" restrictions"

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I understand the NYS law was invalidated because of the second step beyond the shall issue part, but I wonder if the two step approach in the courts is going to be wiped out as well. It certainly reads as though they don't approve of it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Referring to the last paragraph of the decision:

"New York’s proper-cause requirement violates the Fourteenth Amendment in that it prevents law-abiding citizens
with ordinary self-defense needs from exercising their right to keep and bear arms. We therefore reverse the judgment
of the Court of Appeals and remand the case for further proceedings consistent with this opinion."

Does this mean that there needs to be new court cases to give this decision "traction", or does it have to be abided to in-and-of-itself? In other words, does someone with a restricted license have to get busted for carrying out of class, then go to court, or does it not even have to go that far?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I find it interesting in page 8 of the dissent, Justice Bryer notes: Firearm-related homicides and assaults are significantly more common in urban areas than rural ones.For example, from 1999 to 2016, 89.8% of the 213,175 fire-arm-related homicides in the United States occurred in “metropolitan” areas. M. Siegel et al., The Impact of State Firearm Laws on Homicide Rates in Suburban and Rural Areas Compared to Large Cities in the United States, 1991–2016, 36 J. Rural Health 255 (2020)

Imagine that, crime problems in major cities. That must be a new thing that no government has had to deal with, or something that governments have made boatloads of legal restrictions across the board about. Surely their solution isn't just saying that everyone should follow the law, obey big government, and sing kumbaya.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great decision by the supreme court but the fact that you still need a permit to even purchase a handgun to keep in your home means our 2nd amendment rights are still being infringed upon. While I believe in constitutional carry I can live with shall issue licensing laws for concealed carry as long as the licenses are swiftly issued in a reasonable time (like in FL for example). But to not be able to walk into a gun store and purchase a handgun without a permit is still a massive infringement.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
NYS penal law has one class of license for those issued a license not related to employment or restricted to dwelling. In PL400 it is referred to as an f class, concealed carry license. According to PL 400 there is no Sportsman license. In my opinion what we have is a class f, concealed carry license with administrative restrictions applied. We were forced to accept that license because the local licensing authority falsely claimed we had to show proper cause to get a carry license without the sportsman restrictions. The proper thing for those licensing agents to do now would be reissue those license with the LEGAL classification printed on them or recognize them as such. Will they do that? NY is a rogue state so I don't have a lot of confidence that they will do the right thing.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts