Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I can tell from NY gun laws, a real one would be legal on a bolt action, right?

If so, how do you go about getting one? Most suppressors I have seen will not ship to NY. Do I need to take a road trip, or am I wrong all together?

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
Flash Suppressor or Noise Suppressor ?
Flash Suppressor should be no problem, Noise Suppressors are NFA regulated, there is a lot of paperwork involved and not sure if NY will allow it

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
They can make an episode out of making a NY legal silencer! ;D

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
They are ILLEGAL in NY and as NRATC said, where they are allowed, they are NFA regulated

Excerpt from NYS Penal Law:

S 265.02 Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree when:
(1) Such person commits the crime of criminal possession of a weapon
in the fourth degree as defined in subdivision one, two, three or five
of section 265.01, and has been previously convicted of any crime; or
(2) Such person possesses any explosive or incendiary bomb, bombshell,
firearm silencer, machine-gun or any other firearm or weapon simulating
a machine-gun and which is adaptable for such use;

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Funny, I met someone at freeport who had a integrally silenced Ruger MkII.....  insisted it was legal.  and I had to go read the NYS law after and I couldn't figure out how...

·
Registered
365 Posts
thats why i love tennesse, first shopi walked in when visiting DAD ,,there was a sweet ruger 10-22 with the bigist bull barrel i ever saw,, thats cause it was a suppresor,,,SWEET

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Yep, CT is an NFA state. Rules on full auto and assault rifles are a little weird, but other than that you can have all the toys. In NY, it is only legal for an LE agency or a manufacturer (new law from last year for Remington) can have them in NYS. Suppresors are NFA items, and are not allowed under NYS law for civilians and as far as I know individual LE's.  If someone has one in this state, they're illegal. Bolt action rifle, .22 pistol doesn't matter.

·
Lousy Shot
16,249 Posts
SteveG said:
They are ILLEGAL in NY and as NRATC said, where they are allowed, they are NFA regulated

Excerpt from NYS Penal Law:

S 265.02 Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree when:
(1) Such person commits the crime of criminal possession of a weapon
in the fourth degree as defined in subdivision one, two, three or five
of section 265.01, and has been previously convicted of any crime; or
(2) Such person possesses any explosive or incendiary bomb, bombshell,
firearm silencer, machine-gun or any other firearm or weapon simulating
a machine-gun and which is adaptable for such use;
:sarcasm
Okay, well, there's no such thing as a "silencer". The best noise-suppressors knock off only about 20db, which would hardly silence anything.

Does the code define firearm silencer or are we all just supposed to agree on the common universal meaning? You know, one of those things in the movies they just screw onto a gun that makes it go "thp-thp" when fired and the guy nodding off in the next room doesn't hear a thing.
[/sarc]

·
Banned
305 Posts
In quite a few states A suppresors is legal if you get the proper tax stamp for it. you have to fill out paperwork put out quite a bit of money then usually in a couple months you will receive it. but they are regulated very strictly. ((not sure about New York)). the same is true for a fully automatic machine gun they are legal in a lot of different states but you have to get that tax stamp first they are related. Are you allowed to have a rifle with a threaded barrel that could be an issue by itself in New York. Where I go shooting in South Carolina there are quite a few people shooting fully automatic and also suppressed. If you install a flesh Heidar on a bolt action rifle it would still have to be a threaded barrel. Can you buy that new Ruger scout rifle in 308 in New York. It has a flesh Heidar on it or do they have a different version for New York with a fake flash Heidar

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
You can have a flash hider on a bolt action rifle. The NYS AWB only applies to semi automatic rifles with detachable magazines. There are also rules regarding semi automatic shotguns.

So if you want a telescoping stock and a flash suppressor, it can be had on a bolt action rifle.

-Vick

·
Registered
86 Posts
BLAMMO said:
:sarcasm
Okay, well, there's no such thing as a "silencer". The best noise-suppressors knock off only about 20db, which would hardly silence anything.

Does the code define firearm silencer or are we all just supposed to agree on the common universal meaning? You know, one of those things in the movies they just screw onto a gun that makes it go "thp-thp" when fired and the guy nodding off in the next room doesn't hear a thing.
[/sarc]
You really don't believe that do you?

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
TheMongoose said:
Yep, CT is an NFA state. Rules on full auto and assault rifles are a little weird, but other than that you can have all the toys. In NY, it is only legal for an LE agency or a manufacturer (new law from last year for Remington) can have them in NYS. Suppresors are NFA items, and are not allowed under NYS law for civilians and as far as I know individual LE's. If someone has one in this state, they're illegal. Bolt action rifle, .22 pistol doesn't matter.
So your sayin i can go to ct and they will sell me a suppressor

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
It wouldn't get very far.  On the form 4, the local police chief where you live has to sign off on it in order to get your tax stamp for the suppressor.  I'm pretty sure if you're a NY resident, your local police chief wouldn't appreciate that hitting his desk.  Unless he has a sense of humor.  Either way it wouldn't be a good thing to try.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.