Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sharp Shooter!
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suffolk Sportsman has been closed the past week or so. At first the sign said vacation for a few days. The sign then changed saying they would be closed for the rest of the week(meaning last week) because of a medical emergency. I've dealt with them for awhile now, with Al specifically. I hope all is well.

I'm going there this week. Finally took the plunge and got a 1911. I bought a Kimber CDP II custom in PA and had it transfered to Suffolk Sportsman.

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
He was out sick, but he is back.

Just picked up a Mossberg 500 for my son. Good service and very pleasant. Told him we were from LIF and very attentive in showing us his stock. Made suggestions and steered us in the right direction. A+ Retail Store. Limited variety of models.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
Someone please post an address.

·
Banned
6,303 Posts
This week a buddy I work with was looking for a Savage 12 in .204,I gave him what business cards I had on me and he called about 5-6 of the local shops.No one had it in stock.He got the "I call you back+"Have you ever been here before" with the normal outcome,no calls back + you have'nt been here,I don't know you crap from them all except Allen at Suffolk Sportsman.Found the gun for him at a great price,took credit card deposit over the phone and ordered it.Said it would be Tuesday the earliest.This was this past Wednesday and it came in the next day, Thursday and my buddy picked it up!I guess I know what store I should suggest for now on!:headbang
Some of the stores were the ones I buy from all the time and were just plain rude,I guess the don't need my business either

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I know that Suffolk Sportsman is generally well regarded here, however I would just like to add my own recent experience.

Last week I was out shopping for a SIG pistol. SS was the first store I went to. I arrived around 11am and found that there weren't any pistols in the display case yet. No problem. The owner(?), tallish, dark hair & beard, asked what I was interested in and I told him.

A couple of minutes later he came out with 2 SIG's. Nice guns. As we discussed them I dry fired one of them twice and on the 2nd pull he said "Hey don't do that, it isn't good for the firing pin"

"Really? On a SIG?" I asked "Absolutely" he replied.

I handed him the gun back and left.

An hour later I was at Benson's in Middle Island where they showed me several SIG's and when I asked if it was ok to dry fire them they said "sure, no problem." They didn't rush me, showed me everything I asked to see and ultimately sold me a totally different gun. I wound up buying a used Browing Hi Power which came with a 1 year parts & labor warranty included in the price.

Who knows, if the guy at SS hadn't been so worried about me dry firing his SIG, he might have gotten my $800

It may sound petty to some, but if you have a problem with people dry firing a gun that you're trying to sell then I think you need to find out if it is or isn't ok to do. I've check around on a lot of different web sites since then and the concensus is that unless you're going to be dry firing a gun thousands of times, it's ok to do.

Just my opinion.

·
Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.
6,239 Posts
Sparkz said:
"Really? On a SIG?" I asked "Absolutely" he replied.
What caliber? I've been told my .22 mosquito can be damaged with dry firing excessively. Not sure about other calibers though.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
9mm

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Rim fire is different. With a rim fire, the cartrindges rim sits against the edge of seat of the chamber. When you dry fire a .22 the firing pin would slam against it instead of the relatively soft brass rim of the cartridge and it could be damaged. With a center fire cartridge when the shell is not there, there is nothing to damage the pin. I had an 1940's era marlin .22 bolt action and I started to have multiple missfires, when I examined the pin I could see that it was pinged over, a few passes on an emery wheel took care of the problem.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
The same bearded guy was the one who would not allow me to purchase 9mm rounds because I could not provide them with a pistol license. I know that they are generally well received here in the LIF. But I have found their prices reasonable for guns (520 for a Glock 19). But the accessories are expensive ($49 for a mag for a Savage 111 30-06, I can get it for $34 from Savage directly).

·
Registered
756 Posts
I am a big fan of this shop.  I bought a CZ-52 and an Olympic 9mm upper from Mark.  Unlike some shops where everyone talks about how crappy the political landscape is these guys actually get involved and make their voices heard.  

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.