Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stopped into Suffolk Sportsman today on Main Street in Smithtown. Told the man behind the counter (Alan) that I was just looking since I am waiting for my license (interview was 2 months ago...Grrrrrr). Even though he knew that no sale was being made today, he still took the time to answer my questions, give advice, ask me questions about what I would be using pistol for, make recommindations (I know that has to be spelled wrong :p) etc.... A very nice experience, made to feel very comfortable, and for a newbie, I find that very important.
By the way, I have small hands (go ahead, insert joke here) and he suggested Springfield XD (I am looking at 9mm's)...anyone with info or thoughts on that pistol?

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
I have only heard good things about it.  I would get the Match version of it.  I think it comes with a match barrel and other nice features.  I don't own one, I have seen them and if not for my glock 34 I would have bought one.  The problem is once you buy a glock or an XD and you will have no need for the other; my opinion of course.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have a XD 4" compact 45 ACP and love it is great gun and I trust it. I sent it back to Springfield and had them do trigger job and install trijicon night sights now the trigger is smooth and way better than before. The only problem I see is I have large hands and have trouble hitting the Mag release without moving my hand around the grips. I asked them to install an extended mag release and they thought that it might then be activated by my holster so Springfield suggested I didn't do that. I don't know about the 9mm but I couldn't imagine anything that much different with the gun just because of different calibers. But take a look at that mag release when you get the chance. good luck its XD for me.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Thank you for the info.  For us newbies is good to know, maybe I will be paying him a visit as well.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I might catch some flack here for not being a handgun owner, but I have heard from everyone else that the XD series is great, although I am a 1911 man (or would be in another state), I would suggest a small frame 1911.

I am not sure how quality goes, but in the 1980's Beretta was pretty high on the list of desirable "smaller" 9's.

And while on the subject, with smaller hands, never underestimate the old wheelgun. Revolvers seem to making a comeback.

Good luck in whatever you get!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I recommended my good friend to give Alan a visit and he is glad that he took my advice.  He only had good things to say about the shop and the service.  He ended up purchasing a new toy.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Alan is really a nice guy.  He helped me start LIF in the early days by providing gift certificates and so forth.  Stop by his shop and mention LIF ;)

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Thanks for the report Steve. It seem Suffolk Sportsman considers the long term relationship with customers and not just the immediate sale. I'll have to pay them a visit.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
where is the address?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.