Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the second time I have been to Suffolk Shooting Supply. The first time was a few months ago. I had gone in with my girlfriend and was in themarket for a Smith 41 or a High Standard. When I walked in I asked the guy behind the counter if they had any of the aformentioned pistols and he didn't respond. I asked him a second time and was told I couldn't handle handguns without a permit and that they had put all of the handguns away already (despite it being about 1:00PM. I mentioned to him I was a police officer and his attitude did a 180. I then also did a 180 and left the store with my girlfriend. Today I figured since I was in the area I would give them another shot. I walked into the store as a guy sitting on a stool just inside the front door was wiping down a chrome revolver of some sort, cylinder closed and his finger all the way on the trigger pointing about 45 degrees to the front door. Two strikes was enough for me. After time in the Marine Corps, Coast Gurad and the police I can see the lack of safety and courtsey in this store is enough to keep me from ever returning. I gues there is no need to go anywhere but Hunter Sports or the Freeport R&R anyhow.....................Rich

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'm not seeing what was wrong with him telling you that you need a permit to handle a handgun... Although better muzzle/trigger discipline is in order, when a display piece is constantly man-handled it ALL needs to be wiped down. I have been in this store several times I have always noticed the look/touch method of making sure a weapon is clear while handling. If you read reviews from other members I think you may give them another shot. They are a good group in there.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Sgt Squid said:
I'm not seeing what was wrong with him telling you that you need a permit to handle a handgun... Although better muzzle/trigger discipline is in order, when a display piece is constantly man-handled it ALL needs to be wiped down. I have been in this store several times I have always noticed the look/touch method of making sure a weapon is clear while handling. If you read reviews from other members I think you may give them another shot. They are a good group in there.
what i got from his post was the guy behind the counter had a attitude like "no way this guy has a license"
and the second time around, i wouldnt like people pointing guns at me with finger on or off the trigger

i once had a fellow customer get pissy at me (not at gun shop) because i pointed at something in a glass case while his face up against the glass and my finger was a foot from his eye ::)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sgt Squid said:
:good Mark and the gang at Suffolk Shooting have allways been A#1 in my experience. Purchased a pistol and rifle from them without a hiccup. Sometimes it gets a little crowded in that tiny store (like last Friday), but the customer is allways #1 there.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have never had a problem there. Just recently bought a used glock 19 for $200 less than other local shops wanted. I brought a friend in to buy a .22. Even though he ended up with a used marlin the man behind the counter took time with him and was very nice. Will definately see return business from me.

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
Wow, sorry you had a bad experience. I have handguns FFLd there all the time and they're always pleasant to work with.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Sorry about your bad experiences.. That really sucks.

I never had an issue with them.
I transfered an out of state Glock through them, and purchased ammo/targets..
Very convenient for FFL transfers since they're so close to SCPD. :)

·
Sharp Shooter!
469 Posts
Ive had great experiences at this store in the past and have even bought 2 pistols from them because of it...maybe you rubbed him the wrong way or someting because that seems very out of character for that shop...and btw as far as i know from my experiences they never put the pistols out in the showcase they keep them in the safe which is right there and while that may not be the best for quick viewing it is definitly the most secure...as far as asking to see your license, thats what they're supposed to do (unless of course you have your badge numbner tatooed across your forehead lol)

·
Registered
30 Posts
First I have to say i have never had a problem with Mark or any of the guys down at Suffolk Shooting Supply. They are one of the best shops on the Island. What this sounds like to me is you got embarrass in front of your girl friend when he ask you for your permit and you didn't have one. And if you really are a cop you should know that you have to show some form of ID to look at pistols. Now as far as someone mishandling
a firearm your right people should be more mindful. But this sounds like it was a customer, not one of the guy that work there that was handling the firearm. You did say he was sitting on a stool just in side the front door. If thats the case as a shop owner you can only tell customers to point in a safe direction. Most of the time they listen but there are a lot f idiots out there.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sorry to hear you had a bad experiance in Suffolk Shooting Supply. I have been dealing with them for a few years and have always had great and friendly service. On some visits  people are  " hangin out " in the shop. I don't know if they are employees or just "shop rats ". The unsafe gun handling is not good at all.  I would call the store and ask for Mark ,tell him how you were treated and see what he has to say. I am sure that he will appreciate the heads up on what happens when he is not there and will make it right.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yea that place is my favorite shop bought many guns from him and have always been respected in there

·
Registered
2 Posts
Suffolk Shooting Supply

I am a customer at Suffolk Shooting Supply and am writing a response to the posting from "Rich" regarding the facts that actually occurred at the retail establishment on October 18, 2010. I was in the shop and was a witness to all that happened on the morning of October 18. The actual facts are as follows; firstly I was there when a customer came into the shop to pick up a firearm transfer he arranged through Suffolk Shooting Supply. The handgun in question was a Single Action Army revolver. The cylinder on these pistols do not swing open, you must open the loading gate to inspect that the firearm is unloaded and safe. The sales person behind the counter did open the loading gate to check that it was clear before handing it to the buyer. Once in the hands of the buyer, he began inspecting the pistol as all of us do. We all check firstly to verify any firearm is safe before handling it on both sides of the sales counter. The buyer has a right to conduct an inspection of his purchase, as all of us do. With revolvers this inspection may include "dry firing" to check cylinder timing and feel of the trigger action. It was during this time that someone entered through the door and did an abrupt face and walked out. All of us in the shop thought this was rather an unusual thing to do. These are the facts and for someone who claims to be a police officer to post the comment he did without knowing the correct facts is quite disturbing. As for the comments on his first visit to Suffolk Shooting Supply I can not respond, because I was not there at that time. Unfortunately due to his lack of knowledge regarding the incident of October 18, I would question his ability to provide the correct facts from his first visit.

A

·
Fan of guns, but not one of the anti science pro f
2,335 Posts
Hi, guy who works at or owns Suffolk Shooting Supply! Welcome to the forum.

divebum said:
Suffolk Shooting Supply

I am a customer at Suffolk Shooting Supply and am writing a response to the posting from "Rich" regarding the facts that actually occurred at the retail establishment on October 18, 2010. I was in the shop and was a witness to all that happened on the morning of October 18. The actual facts are as follows; firstly I was there when a customer came into the shop to pick up a firearm transfer he arranged through Suffolk Shooting Supply. The handgun in question was a Single Action Army revolver. The cylinder on these pistols do not swing open, you must open the loading gate to inspect that the firearm is unloaded and safe. The sales person behind the counter did open the loading gate to check that it was clear before handing it to the buyer. Once in the hands of the buyer, he began inspecting the pistol as all of us do. We all check firstly to verify any firearm is safe before handling it on both sides of the sales counter. The buyer has a right to conduct an inspection of his purchase, as all of us do. With revolvers this inspection may include "dry firing" to check cylinder timing and feel of the trigger action. It was during this time that someone entered through the door and did an abrupt face and walked out. All of us in the shop thought this was rather an unusual thing to do. These are the facts and for someone who claims to be a police officer to post the comment he did without knowing the correct facts is quite disturbing. As for the comments on his first visit to Suffolk Shooting Supply I can not respond, because I was not there at that time. Unfortunately due to his lack of knowledge regarding the incident of October 18, I would question his ability to provide the correct facts from his first visit.

A

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First, I was in no way embarressed by someone telling me I would have to have a permit to handle a handgun. I was put off by the poor attitude the guy had when I was asking about pistols they may have, not asking to handle one.

Second and far more importantly, EVERY firearm should be treated as if it is LOADED at all times despite its actual or perceived condition. From the time I have in the Marine Corps, Police, as an NRA instructor, deployed with the Navy as a firearms instructor and in the Coast Guard this is universal, finger off the trigger until you are going to shoot, don't point the firearm at anything you don't intend to shoot. I would like to thank the Good Customer DiveBum for confirming my version of what had taken place. I don't care how many people have verified the weapon was clear, it should have been handled as if it was loaded and as was confirmed by DiveBum, it was not. So let me understand this a little better, does the shop have a target on the inside of their front door which is utlized as an aiming point for customers to dryfire at? Also if this was a transfer why would have to dry fire the weapon in the shop at all, the shop isn't selling it they are doing the paperwork on a transfer...............

SemperFi
Rich

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
RS156 said:
First, I was in no way embarressed by someone telling me I would have to have a permit to handle a handgun. I was put off by the poor attitude the guy had when I was asking about pistols they may have, not asking to handle one.

Second and far more importantly, EVERY firearm should be treated as if it is LOADED at all times despite its actual or perceived condition. From the time I have in the Marine Corps, Police, as an NRA instructor, deployed with the Navy as a firearms instructor and in the Coast Guard this is universal, finger off the trigger until you are going to shoot, don't point the firearm at anything you don't intend to shoot. I would like to thank the Good Customer DiveBum for confirming my version of what had taken place. I don't care how many people have verified the weapon was clear, it should have been handled as if it was loaded and as was confirmed by DiveBum, it was not. So let me understand this a little better, does the shop have a target on the inside of their front door which is utlized as an aiming point for customers to dryfire at? Also if this was a transfer why would have to dry fire the weapon in the shop at all, the shop isn't selling it they are doing the paperwork on a transfer...............

SemperFi
Rich
I have to agree with this. Always treat the firearm as loaded, no matter what. I was at an indoor range and left to go get a drink. I returned and as I was going through the door, there was a guy sitting at a bench cleaning his rifle with the barrel pointed directly at the door. I jumped out of the way and said something along the lines of point it in a safe direction only with some stronger language. He said "Don't worry, its not loaded". I said "I don't give a ------ what you think, point it in a safe direction". I will never take someone elses word on whether a firearm is loaded or not and even if I inspect myself, I will always treat the firearm as if it is loaded.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.