Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...'cause he probably needs your money to buy booze with. :-/
I mean, that has to be the only explanation why a dude walking around with the title "Gun Smith" would beat the living hell out of your brand new night sights and mar your slide, right? He's drunk, right?
A gunsmith not being able to install night sights without wrecking your sights is like an auto mechanic that can't do an oil change. I'm being led to believe this is one of the eaiser things for a gunsmith to do; kind of like gunsmithing 101.
My instinct was to do it myself. Hell, I have a vice and brass punch, I bet you I can do this. I even found a highly rated sight tool for FIFTY NINE DOLLARS. Stupid me, I walk in to the shop and the "Gunsmith" talks me down. "You don't want to wreck your slide now do you?" His two nimrods at the counter nod, "Oh yes-you will surely wreck your slide. Better let the GUNSMITH change those sights. How much? FIFTY DOLLARS??? well, most on the interent say it's a $20-$30 dollar job but EVERYTHING is more expensive on LI, right?
OK, i'll give you fifty bucks but you need to understand-I don't want you wrecking my slide, OK? I can do that myself FOR FREE. ;) I said this in front of 3 people...

The day dawns sunny and warm as I head to the local dive. The GUNSMITH was nice enough to drop it off on his way to the range. What a great guy.
Wow, look at this. Not only did he beat the snot out of the sight but he marred the slide front and back. Awesome. Counter guy kinda looks embarassed but take my money.
Good job you idiots. Glad I kept my money local. ;)

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,589 Posts
Damm!!!    :(

·
Registered
906 Posts
and this is why I only buy from Campsite. :/

I bought sights for my G21 & G19 from Campsite and not only did they not charge me for installing them, they installed them right there in front of me to make sure I was happy with them. (Which I was).

+Infinity for Campsite because I just don't shop anywhere else.

·
Anti-Statist
5,359 Posts
I've never had a problem with Mike, Stanley, and crew over at South Shore Sportsman. Gunna have them put night sights on my 5906 once I clear up some funds this summer.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I started this thread to vent, not to bad mouth a gun shop so I'm a bit conflicted revealing who did this to my slide.  The gunsmith was an independent guy who does work for the shop and honestly, I like the shop in question.  They handed the job to their gunsmith and I handed the cash to the shop so maybe the shop is responsible.  I left the place in disgust and will not buy from this place again just on principle.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
If you're not going to buy from the shop again because of principle, then why not tell us who did the work?

There's no way in hell I would accept that kind of workmanship. I would demand to see the gunsmith, and I would demand my gun be repaired. This is unacceptable.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I also won't mention names but I also recently dealt with a local smith and was less than pleased. My new rifle was full of scratch's, it took 2 1/2 weeks to do a simple job and the work that was done did not hold up. I had to bring it back to the shop to be re done. To top it all off they tried to charge me more than I was originally quoted when I went to pick it up. Looking back it was a total disaster best advice I can give is send your stuff to adco. I was pleased with there work and they are reasonably priced.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
One of the core existance of LIF is helping others.

I respect the post, but remember your fellow LIFers who might come in contact with this gunsmith.

If it were you, wouldn't you want to be warned?

My two cents.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Personally I like the shop that did my work ( not the work itself) even though i probably should not after my experience. I was compensated with 2 $6 box's of ammo. and don't want to take food from anyone's mouth sorry the best I can do as stated before is tell fellow members to avoid li smiths all together because I can almost guarantee these 2 jobs were done bye different shops.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,073 Posts
I understand in a way, that you don't want to open yourself up to a s++t storm, but by not identifying the artist who did this, you leave someone like me with the suspicion that the pistol may have gone in with that damage.

Carry on.

·
Banned
24,899 Posts
scottzilla said:
I started this thread to vent, not to bad mouth a gun shop so I'm a bit conflicted revealing who did this to my slide. The gunsmith was an independent guy who does work for the shop and honestly, I like the shop in question. They handed the job to their gunsmith and I handed the cash to the shop so maybe the shop is responsible. I left the place in disgust and will not buy from this place again just on principle.
your not going to buy from them again, yet your worried about telling who did it?... Spill the beans and save us all the headache please

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.