Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Rifles and handgun firearms are not allowed. when you get your license (after taking the required Hunner Safety course) make sure you get the Hunting regulations booklet.

Go to the DEC website at http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28182.html and "hunt" around in it. You will see that you may use air guns for squirrels, as well as shotguns and bows, but not crossbows, not on Long Island.

As an aside I recently saw that Mepps is still offering fishing lures to those sending them squirrel tails for their Muskie lure line.

Reactions: boosti

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Rifles and handgun firearms are not allowed. when you get your license (after taking the required Hunner Safety course) make sure you get the Hunting regulations booklet.

Go to the DEC website at http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28182.html and "hunt" around in it. You will see that you may use air guns for squirrels, as well as shotguns and bows, but not crossbows, not on Long Island.

As an aside I recently saw that Mepps is still offering fishing lures to those sending them squirrel tails for their Muskie lure line.
I thought air guns were still excluded for LI.... and the squirret tails for lures? NOT worth it IMO, they pay so little you'd need to have a squirrel farm to make a dollar.... and the lures? hell, make your own!

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I thought air guns were still excluded for LI.... and the squirret tails for lures? NOT worth it IMO, they pay so little you'd need to have a squirrel farm to make a dollar.... and the lures? hell, make your own!
You are correct. The last time I mailed in squirrel tails to Mepps I got much more in return than they are offering now. I do use the tails from the deer I have harvested for my fluke bucktails (Terminal Tackle in Kings Park has all the "fixins.")

I have to research the air gun thing again. I thought they were OK'd recently by DEC. (I confine my hunting now to just deer. Never liked the taste of duck in restaurants and I only kill what I eat.)

Edited to add: Can not find anywhere on the DEC website that the use of an airgun for hunting is prohibited in Suffolk county. (Of course they can not be used for waterfowl, big game, pheasant or turkey.)

Perusal of said regs did find notations that crossbows are again not legal for hunting in Suffolk or Westchester.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.