Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how long you have to be a resident of Suffolk to apply for a pistol permit if any? My gf moved here about 7 months ago. She enjoys shooting and I'd like her to be able to come to the range with me and partake in the hobby.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
No requirement for length of residency. But they use the references requirement to scree you in that regard. Hopefully in your case references aren't an issue
So how is that not a violation of the 2nd Amendment...you just moved to Suffolk from another state for work, you don't know anybody in this liberal cesspool, and your right to defend yourself is based solely on your ability to find four people who are conservative enough to support guns, vouch for your character even though they've known you for five seconds, and go through the hassle of signing (multiple?) affidavits. If that's not grounds for a violation of Constitutional rights I don't know what it is.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So how is that not a violation of the 2nd Amendment...you just moved to Suffolk from another state for work, you don't know anybody in this liberal cesspool, and your right to defend yourself is based solely on your ability to find four people who are conservative enough to support guns, vouch for your character even though they've known you for five seconds, and go through the hassle of signing (multiple?) affidavits. If that's not grounds for a violation of Constitutional rights I don't know what it is.
Good point. Luckily her boss and another doctor she works with are pro 2nd amendment plus me and my moms bf who was a reference for me also, so we're good.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point. Luckily her boss and another doctor she works with are pro 2nd amendment plus me and my moms bf who was a reference for me also, so we're good.

·
You Are the Resistance.
3,587 Posts
Yanno, once upon a time, they at least had a reason for the local reference requirements.

There were no centralized databases. References had to be checked by file clerks digging through piles of paper- even a phone call to Queens from Suffolk was a Long Distance call. No email, no voicemail, checking references was a chore, even with local people.

Today, it should be a matter of an hours work- maybe an hour and Fifteen minutes with a coffee break. Yet still, they drag their feet.

It was a bit over two weeks from turning in my app to receiving for Florida to check me and issue a CWP- and a background check on me pulls up 8 addresses in different states over a six years period!

My VA CHP took a week- seven days- from turning in my app to getting it in the mail.

That LI takes 6 months is heinous.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone moved from Naasau to Suffolk and transferred their pistol permit? I'm curious of what this entails?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.