Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
About 6 years ago NCPD was issuing a pistol license in 3 months. The county was threatened with a lawsuit. The petitioner dropped the lawsuit and the wait times eventually went back over 7 months.
The SCPD and Suffolk Sheriffs Office can complete applications in the 6 month time frame. It’s done to inconvenience people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
About 6 years ago NCPD was issuing a pistol license in 3 months. The county was threatened with a lawsuit. The petitioner dropped the lawsuit and the wait times eventually went back over 7 months.
The SCPD and Suffolk Sheriffs Office can complete applications in the 6 month time frame. It’s done to inconvenience people.
Lol, I respectfully disagree. The officer that handled my application said with the political climate and threat to our gun rights they simply cannot handle the amount of applications. Why would a cop give two shits about delaying my process? Makes no sense to me.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,059 Posts
Lol, I respectfully disagree. The officer that handled my application said with the political climate and threat to our gun rights they simply cannot handle the amount of applications. Why would a cop give two shits about delaying my process? Makes no sense to me.
A "cop" might not, but his supervisors and those brass seeking advancement needing the blessing of the political leaders play the tune thats called by the County. There is no investigatory work being done in these license sections that requres 16 months to complete. Pennsylvania, and a plethoria of other states and counties turn these licenses around universally under 2 months, doing the same background check, with the same staffing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So the superior officer at pistol licensing is telling the cops to slow the process down for his/her political gain even though they only get promoted via promotional exams?? Not buying it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
@Hunter Dave , we all know it doesn't make any sense, and that it is impossible to believe at first. We also all know it's wrong constitutionally, as well as according to NY Penal. The fact remains that it is what it is. Suffolk County, as the administrator of pistol licenses here, bends the rules (or breaks the rules, doesn't matter what word you use). Been that way for a long time. The BS goes from the commissioner, on up through the county executive, and on up to whatever political powers be above that. From what I have heard, and seen first hand in my own experience, it is NOT caused by the investigators or staff at SCPD PLB. Yes, they certainly have a high number of applications, especially during the past few years. And yes, that would expectedly cause some delays, but that volume is NOT the primary reason for how long it takes to get a license in Western Suffolk. I just got mine 3/28/22. It took 18 months, start to finish. I know of some that have taken slightly shorter, and some that have taken longer. The delay is purely political. Hard to believe, but absolutely true.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
If there was an interest is supporting individuals’ 2A rights more staff would be assigned to Pistol Licensing Division- the Police Commissioner has the authority to issue a full carry (it is done upstate and an upstate resident can carry in LI). The County Executive can also replace the Police Commissioner. The bottom line is that until we all demand it with our votes nothing will change. We should also educate our friends and neighbors and understand that 2A rights are our individual rights and include all races colors and political parties. There are 2A supporters everywhere but NY Politicians are afraid to support it.

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
If there was an interest is supporting individuals’ 2A rights more staff would be assigned to Pistol Licensing Division- the Police Commissioner has the authority to issue a full carry (it is done upstate and an upstate resident can carry in LI). The County Executive can also replace the Police Commissioner. The bottom line is that until we all demand it with our votes nothing will change. We should also educate our friends and neighbors and understand that 2A rights are our individual rights and include all races colors and political parties. There are 2A supporters everywhere but NY Politicians are afraid to support it.
In the upstate counties, the Judge has the absolute ability to deny you for not being of good moral character. In NYC, Nassau and Suffolk County. The officer gets the paperwork signed off by his supervisor and you are issued a restricted pistol license. A Judge will factor everything since the Local Police and State Police Zone Sergeant for the area are part of conducting the applicant investigation. If you have an issue of a disturbance or known to have a history with the Police in the county. He will deny you, even if you never been arrested.
The SCOTUS ruling will probably not change anything in regards to the County Judge or Police Commissioner changing the application process and long wait times.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts