Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need to know what paperwork I need to fill out to start the process. I recently purchased a shotgun which is nice but I'd really like to be able to have a pistol to take to the range and protect my home/family. Thank you for any help that's given!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in Hauppauge what's that considered Western I'd assume right? And also when I was 17 (I'm 38 now) I got arrested for the night cause I was driving with a suspended license. I have absolutely no clue what the exact date was etc will that be a issue? I never had a felony etc if it will be a issue I'm gonna have to figure out how to go about getting the arrest information. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had to list every motor vehicle ticket that I ever received for the Sheriffs application. I would think that you would have to do the same for Suffolk. Go on the NYSDMV website and request a drivers abstract. I think it’s about $7. It saved me a ton of aggravation trying to remember every ticket that I got. And there were more than a few that I couldn’t even remember getting. I had many in my younger days. Lol.
I got a abstract about a year ago but getting a new one is fine.. that's my only issue I have a colorful record when it comes to driving! I was a kid but maybe I should skip trying to get the license then 😆 never anything major but lots of tickets and suspension, revoked at one point i believe just a lot..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I never like to discourage anyone when the power to accomplish something is in their own hands. Unfortunately that is not the case when it comes to getting a pistol license in Suffolk County. As spd1122 mentioned having a pistol license application denied is a serious matter, not just because of the immediate denial but because that denial stays with you for life and can impact getting a license elsewhere and even emp!oyment. The licensing bureau will take your driving record into consideration and view traffic violations as an indication of your unwillingness to follow regulations. They can use repeat violations as a reason for denial.

Beyond that, baring a very favorable decision by the Supreme Court, the license is very limited only allowing you to keep a handgun at home, carry it to and from a range and for hunting. As far as self-defense is concerned it's pretty much useless versus a shotgun in the home since 99% of the time you are prohibited from carrying the firearm on your person. If it was a full carry license I might feel differently but given the current limitations (IMHO) the benefits don't justify the risk especially given all the hoops you'll have to jump through to go through the application process.

It grieves my to no end to say this and of course you are free to make your own decision but that's my perspective on the situation based on what you've said about your situation. If we should get a very positive Supreme Court decision that strikes down the show cause provision and raises the level of scrutiny to strict scrutiny that could change my thinking. In the meantime it doesn't hurt to download the application, carefully read through the instructions, consider how others that will be involved (spouse, those that will serve as references, etc.) may feel about your getting a license before making a decision to apply.
A majority of my tickets are from when I was younger and lived in Staten Island.. The cops have nothing better to do there then pull people over for anything and everything! As for the denial staying with me it's not so much of a issue I'm on disability so I'm not getting another job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never like to discourage anyone when the power to accomplish something is in their own hands. Unfortunately that is not the case when it comes to getting a pistol license in Suffolk County. As spd1122 mentioned having a pistol license application denied is a serious matter, not just because of the immediate denial but because that denial stays with you for life and can impact getting a license elsewhere and even emp!oyment. The licensing bureau will take your driving record into consideration and view traffic violations as an indication of your unwillingness to follow regulations. They can use repeat violations as a reason for denial.

Beyond that, baring a very favorable decision by the Supreme Court, the license is very limited only allowing you to keep a handgun at home, carry it to and from a range and for hunting. As far as self-defense is concerned it's pretty much useless versus a shotgun in the home since 99% of the time you are prohibited from carrying the firearm on your person. If it was a full carry license I might feel differently but given the current limitations (IMHO) the benefits don't justify the risk especially given all the hoops you'll have to jump through to go through the application process.

It grieves my to no end to say this and of course you are free to make your own decision but that's my perspective on the situation based on what you've said about your situation. If we should get a very positive Supreme Court decision that strikes down the show cause provision and raises the level of scrutiny to strict scrutiny that could change my thinking. In the meantime it doesn't hurt to download the application, carefully read through the instructions, consider how others that will be involved (spouse, those that will serve as references, etc.) may feel about your getting a license before making a decision to apply.
Oh and as for the issue of effecting people I'm separated and live with my son and mom who is sick also. It's really for me to actually have the ability to go to the range and hunt freely. I don't need a CCL although it would be great that's pretty much impossible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea I understand and thank you for the tips it does help! Like I said any info helps.. I don't get butthurt when someone says the truth. I just need to figure out where to start this definitely isn't a painless process! Thanks again everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts