Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new license today in Yaphank. Handed in the letter they sent notifying me the renewal was approved , gave them my old license, signed a form letter that I would read and abided by the online handbook, took a picture and was handed the new licensing. It's the same sportsman license. The license number remained the same C-xxxxxx.

I should have asked for a copy of the handbook letter which had the URL for where the handbook is on the web. Does anyone have that URL? I've searched but cannot find it.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure there have been updates since 2016. I'm kick myself in the butt for not copying the website address.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Paul, the 2016 version posted above was the latest version that was available when the website was attacked and taken down on 9/8/22. The exact URL for that handbook is taken down, and wouldn't get you anywhere even if you had it.
I've attached my own Pistol License Handbook Acknowledgement from 11/11/2021. The website provided on that form was simply www.suffolkpd.org, as you can see.

That 2016 version was removed and this is what was on the website for weeks before the cyber attack on 9/8/22:
Rectangle Font Circle Screenshot Parallel

I coincidentally had a telephone conversation with the CO of SCPD PLB, Lt Komorowski, within the week before 9/8/22. Part of our conversation was about the handbook. I stated that the website had said "Currently Being Updated" for some time now. When was the updated handbook expected? He told me the new handbook was done, and in the hands of the legal department for review. He said it would be posted on the website within just a few days, a week at the absolute latest.

Then the cyber attack happened.

Paul, I wish you had asked them for a copy while you were there.
I called a week or two ago, and the woman I spoke with said even they don't have a copy of the new handbook, can't get one, don't have a hardcopy, can't have it emailed out, yada yada yada.
She said the only place the file lives is on the SCPD server, which nobody can access. She was very nice, and I'm sure she's just accepting what her supervisor has told her, but it reeks of typical Suffolk County political BS.

Paul, did you get a copy of your form today? ("signed a form letter that I would read and abided by the online handbook"). Was it different than mine? I'm curious how much they are manipulating reality to suit their agenda. How could you sign something saying you'd "read and abide" a handbook that is simply not available, if it exists at all? I really mean no offense, and we don't even know each other, but from your LIF personality, I'm kinda shocked you signed it without giving them crap about it. I'd love to be there if you started asking for a copy of the handbook, lol. Hell, if you want to go, let me know, I'll go with you. I'll even drive, lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paul, the 2016 version posted above was the latest version that was available when the website was attacked and taken down on 9/8/22. The exact URL for that handbook is taken down, and wouldn't get you anywhere even if you had it.
I've attached my own Pistol License Handbook Acknowledgement from 11/11/2021. The website provided on that form was simply www.suffolkpd.org, as you can see.

That 2016 version was removed and this is what was on the website for weeks before the cyber attack on 9/8/22:
View attachment 141170

I coincidentally had a telephone conversation with the CO of SCPD PLB, Lt Komorowski, within the week before 9/8/22. Part of our conversation was about the handbook. I stated that the website had said "Currently Being Updated" for some time now. When was the updated handbook expected? He told me the new handbook was done, and in the hands of the legal department for review. He said it would be posted on the website within just a few days, a week at the absolute latest.

Then the cyber attack happened.

Paul, I wish you had asked them for a copy while you were there.
I called a week or two ago, and the woman I spoke with said even they don't have a copy of the new handbook, can't get one, don't have a hardcopy, can't have it emailed out, yada yada yada.
She said the only place the file lives is on the SCPD server, which nobody can access. She was very nice, and I'm sure she's just accepting what her supervisor has told her, but it reeks of typical Suffolk County political BS.

Paul, did you get a copy of your form today? ("signed a form letter that I would read and abided by the online handbook"). Was it different than mine? I'm curious how much they are manipulating reality to suit their agenda. How could you sign something saying you'd "read and abide" a handbook that is simply not available, if it exists at all? I really mean no offense, and we don't even know each other, but from your LIF personality, I'm kinda shocked you signed it without giving them crap about it. I'd love to be there if you started asking for a copy of the handbook, lol. Hell, if you want to go, let me know, I'll go with you. I'll even drive, lol.
A totally different form. It content a very simple statement regarding reading and following the handbook, basically the last paragraph of the form you got.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reactions: Peconic Paladin

·
Registered
287 Posts
I get a "not found" message when I click on that link.
Right.
Because it was removed by Suffolk, AND the Suffolk websites are down because of the cyber attack.
That's the point.
There is no Suffolk handbook right now.
Even if it does exist, there is no way to get a copy.

Again, I don't see how it can be legal, never mind reasonable, to ask anyone to sign a form stating that they will do something that is simply impossible because Suffolk doesn't provide what they want you to to acknowledge reading.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry for any confusion, on my part….
you went in for your new license, and was given a “sportsman”?
by new license, did you mean you submitted amendment form and 18 hr cert, and this is what they gave you, or was it just a straight renewal , for an expiring “sportsman” ?

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for any confusion, on my part….
you went in for your new license, and was given a “sportsman”?
by new license, did you mean you submitted amendment form and 18 hr cert, and this is what they gave you, or was it just a straight renewal , for an expiring “sportsman” ?
Straight renewal. You cannot change the license type during the renewal process. You have to renew the license as is and when the renewed license is issued request the amendment if you're going that route.

That said my license number is still C-xxxxxx. (Carry) It was a type f license when it was issued 30+ years ago and I don't believe the county has the authority to arbitrarily change the license type. Beyond that while there is case law that allowed the county to add restrictions I don't believe they can grant extra privileges beyond what is in the penal code. My license was and is a type f license.

I'm holding off on the training requirement while the legal challenges make there way throught the courts. In my think the Supreme Court ruling in Bruen removed the restrictions

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I don't believe the county has the authority to arbitrarily change the license type. Beyond that while there is case law that allowed the county to add restrictions I don't believe they can grant extra privileges beyond what is in the penal code. My license was and is a type f license.
Correct.

They might be able to "issue" everyone type "a" licenses, but not without anything official or otherwise notifying you about your specific license. Just waving a wand and saying type f sportsman licenses are now type a premises licenses.

For me, the biggest tells as to what type of license a person has are:

1) what did you apply for? (presumably type f to "have and carry concealed"); and

2) is the licensing officer actually allowing you to "(f) have and carry concealed" or only allowing a person to "(a) have and possess in his dwelling by a householder;"?

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I applied for and received an “f” concealed carry license which the county decided to infringe on by applying restrictions. 30+ years ago the license said right on it “type f, concealed carry”. Then the county got “creative” and made up license type “sportsman” and removed the words “concealed carry”.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I applied for and received an “f” concealed carry license which the county decided to infringe on by applying restrictions. 30+ years ago the license said right on it “type f, concealed carry”. Then the county got “creative” and made up license type “sportsman” and removed the words “concealed carry”.
Yep. I'd say you have a carry permit!

·
Aim High
914 Posts
Is there an obligation by SCPD to inform permit holders either by email, up to date obtainable handbook or other means if there is any change in law, rule or regulation prior to law enforcement inforceing such law?

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is there an obligation by SCPD to inform permit holders either by email, up to date obtainable handbook or other means if there is any change in law, rule or regulation prior to law enforcement inforceing such law?
If they are requiring you to sign a document that you will read and abide by it they have an obligation to make it available to you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts