Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you keep a magazine fully loaded will it eventually weaken the spring to the point where the magazine wouldn't empty? Thanks...

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you keep a magazine fully loaded will it eventually weaken the spring to the point where the magazine wouldn't empty? Thanks.
Very common question. I would imagine everyone will tell you something different .

I personally leave everything fully loaded until I need to use it - the criminals and burglars don't give you time to load magazines after the door is busted down or the back window breaks.

BUT I recently watched a video of someone who had 4 magazines all fully loaded untouched since around 2007 and they worked like brand new .

·
Registered
12,031 Posts
I was trained in the Police Academy to unload all my magazines on my days off and to expend all my service ammunition at qualification.
I never did that, the magazine spring is actually getting weaker loading and unloading them over a weekly period.
You can keep modern magazines loaded for a very long time and never have an issue with them.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The springs mostly get weak from the repetitive loading and unloading of a spring causes something called elastic fatigue of the metal.... leaving compressed does not really hurt the spring unless LONG term it can weaken slightly; known as CREEP, in which a metal held at a constant strain will gradually relax and so reduce the stress. This will reduce the stored energy.
Industry standard is spring last for about 5 years of use...

As a side note.... mags are a Replaceable item and do malfunction for a number of reasons which is why you should prob have about 10 mags per gun for long term.

Also had 6 Sig mags loaded ALL the time for 30 yrs ( other than unloading once a year to swap out rounds with new ) , never had an issue and they still work fine 17 yrs later.

·
INFIDEL
7,263 Posts
I keep my mags loaded, The only problem I had was with my M1Carbine, These were WW2 vintage....I keep my Ec9 loaded. It's my EDC

Reactions: DozerD9

·
Registered
12,031 Posts
I keep my mags loaded, The only problem I had was with my M1Carbine, These were WW2 vintage....I keep my Ec9 loaded. It's my EDC
The GI M1 carbine magazines were not very reliable. The soldiers would replace them with new magazines when getting supplies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts