Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't Laugh...........
In researching scopes for Saigas and AK's, I see that the russian scopes are referred to as POSP scopes
What does POSP mean?

·
You Are the Resistance.
3,600 Posts
I know that PSO stands for 'Pritsel Snaipersky Optichesky' (Optical Sniper Sight) as used on the Dragunov rifle (4x power, Stadiametic rangefinder).

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the expense, unless your after "authenticity". Quick release scope mounts you can find for around $40 work just fine, and so do most scopes.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,809 Posts
I don't want this to be misunderstood but scoping an AK is almost cruel. They have little accuracy, past 100 yards. They were designed as "spray and pray" guns, for use in extreme conditions, with minimal maintenance. I've yet to find one which can even hold a 4 inch group, at 100 yards.
Up close, as anti-personnel hardware, they are extremely effective but, because of their loose tolerances, they don't make good long-range pieces.
Now, as Mad Russian suggests, if you want an authentic appearance, that's great but just don't set yourself up, for a disappointment, in the accuracy department. No offense intended.
Gary

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
PAH!!!! I have a booklet that came with my Saiga, and it unequivocally states that a three round test fire produced a standard deviation of 13cm at 100 meters. Then again it was probably done from a gun vice...

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Mad Russian said:
PAH!!!! I have a booklet that came with my Saiga, and it unequivocally states that a three round test fire produced a standard deviation of 13cm at 100 meters. Then again it was probably done from a gun vice...
13cm = 5"

Which is fine for man sized targets out to 200 meters. The AK was designed for volume over accuracy. Massed infantry automatic fire advancing under BMP cover. I've seen planty of scoped AKs and you can do pretty well withe them. Plus, there actually match barrel AKs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.