Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Walker1847
12,075 Posts

Steve McLaughlin
6 hrs

I've decided that I'm going to issue a "Memorandum of Understanding" on the Safe Act. My MOU fully repeals the Safe Act on some unknown, as yet undetermined future date because apparently, that's all you have to do now to amend the law in New York. Confused? Apparently so is the Cuomo administration and the Senate GOP on how laws are to be amended.

If you haven't heard yet, late Friday afternoon (the time when you release news you don't want anyone to hear about) the Senate Republicans and the Governor's Director of State Operations signed an MOU declaring that the database for ammunition sales would not proceed until it's ready and then only with the approval of the Senate. Here's the problem: that isn't legal or constitutional. We do not amend laws with the approval of just one house and without a signature from the Governor.

I honestly question if Cuomo or the Senate leader have read the constitution. ANY constitution! Either the New York or the United States! I'll take either one at this point because this is just a complete joke.

As much as I cannot stand the SAFE Act the fact is it was passed by the Legislature and signed by the Governor. You cannot amend a law with an MOU and for those that think it's ok because you like what the MOU says, just remember that Cuomo and the Assembly Dems could do an MOU on something really bad that you might disagree with. We simply cannot complain about our constitutional rights being taken and then turn a blind eye when the constitution is abused because we agree with what is being done. If you want to see a slippery slope, this is it folks and it is simply chilling to me that a Governor and Senate Majority leader even thought this was legal let alone announce it.

Naturally, in typical and cowardly fashion, Cuomo ran from it immediately and said nothing has changed with the SAFE Act. He's trying to have it both ways. Pander to the left and try to appease the right.

The fact is that the State Police have already admitted they can't get the database up and running (good) so saying that the database won't be put into action is simply stating the obvious. They can't put something into action that doesn't exist.
Another fact is that millions have been spent on a database that shouldn't (and doesn't) exist. So.... where is the money? What happened to the millions of dollars? Did the state pay someone millions to fail?

Drain the swamp

Keeping the Senate SAFE (a very good read on the MOU fiasco)
http://www.nystateof...he-senate-safe/

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Messrs, DiNapoli & Schniederman,
The taxpayers of New York have long been manipulated, exploited and lied to by our state government. Sadly, this has become the rule rather than the exception.
Recently, a MOU was entered in to by the Office of the Governor and the State Senate Majority Leader outlining "changes" to the NY SAFE Act. The "change(s)" outlined in this MOU appear to not, in fact, represent anything more than a statement of the case as it presently exists and changes nothing.
By deferring implementation of the ammunition background check provision of SAFE, NYS has simply reiterated that the method and system necessary to conduct and record such data has not, is not, and apparently will not be established.
The provision has been previously funded, despite a clear understanding on the part of NYSP, the Office of the Governor and the NYS Legislature that this system has not and, at least for the foreseeable future, cannot be implemented.
The taxpayers of New York have been deceived and defrauded, our hard earned tax dollars misapplied and misused and our trust has been compromised beyond repair.
I urge each of your offices to investigate the misuse of taxpayer funds as it applies to the NY SAFE Act, in general, and to the points made in this letter specifically, to take appropriate action and to report back to the people of New York on this matter.
The blatant governmental abuse of the NY SAFE Act and in it's path to establishment certainly also warrant investigation and remedy.

Trusting you will uphold your duty,

Report Government Waste, Abuse and Fraud

Phone:
1-888-OSC-4555 or
1-888-672-4555

Email: [email protected]
ny.us

Office of the Attorney General
The Capitol
Albany, NY 12224-0341

300 Motor Parkway
Suite 230
Hauppauge, NY 11788

Phone Number: 631-231-2424

Address:
200 Old Country Road,
Suite 240,
Mineola, NY 11501

·
Walker1847
12,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just another play out of the Obama administrations book.

Name Czars instead of cabinet members. Use the phone and pen as opposed to legislating laws.

Until the SCOTUS returns to enforcing LAW this will continue.
What do you mean? SCOTUS is now making LAW from the bench.

Reactions: Tonto

·
Walker1847
12,075 Posts
Wait, there's more...

Steve McLaughlin
22 mins ·

Please check out these two news clips regarding the absurdity of the recently issued MOU which I call a 'Memorandum of Uselessness.'

Basically there's an understanding that the state won't implement a database that they don't have anyway and cannot develop....but when they have the database they will implement it. So..... basically the MOU states the obvious but it is in no way any different than what is already happening.

http://news10.com/20...act-memorandum/

Drain the swamp

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Wait, there's more...

Steve McLaughlin
22 mins ·

Please check out these two news clips regarding the absurdity of the recently issued MOU which I call a 'Memorandum of Uselessness.'

Basically there's an understanding that the state won't implement a database that they don't have anyway and cannot develop....but when they have the database they will implement it. So..... basically the MOU states the obvious but it is in no way any different than what is already happening.

http://news10.com/20...act-memorandum/

Drain the swamp
Essentially they either don't want to throw more money at the database creation or will outsource it to one of cuomos cronies that will take 9 years and suck $60 mil out of the taxpayers pockets for a useless program.

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,528 Posts
Forget draining the swamp.....It's time to unclog the toilet & flush the turds out of Albany

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I say if the government can effectively ignore laws, we should have the same right.

And, go!

Reactions: ChiefSailer
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.