Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just cleaned out and sold my father-in-law's house and we are now in
possession and storing a two generation stamp collection.
We are not looking to sell, but we need to get the current honest
value for estate purposes.

We were suggested to call our homeowners insurance company who should be able to provide their appraisers contact info.

We would rather pay a professional and get an accurate inventory and
appraisal than just guessing. Southwest Nassau.

Any thought or recommendation would be appreciated, as always......

·
Registered
89 Posts
Im very interested in this as well. I inherited my dads stamp collection 2 years ago. Its quite large and takes up a significant amount of space as he collected all his life. Coins as well.. any referral would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
Unfortunately the value of these is near zero now as there are no more philatelists, they have all died of old age. Sorry to break it to you, but unless he has something very rare, the value will probably be less than the cumulative face value.

I only kept my uncancelled ones and ditched the rest, and even those aren't worth squat. Although it did provide a good history lesson for my kid about hyperinflation because I do have the pre WWII series that starts at 10mk and goes up to like 10,000,000mk just to mail a letter, They went to overstamping the values on a blank medallion in the middle of the stamps towards the end.

Personally I would keep the collection for notoriety, you aren't going to retire on it. You might get a steak dinner. Maybe. But it's a nice thing to have.

Of course I am talking about collections where somebody collected stamps from envelopes- there is the other kind of collection where people buy rare stamps as investments, those will have a lot less stamps and be accompanied by records like how much was paid, and when.
If you have THIS kind of collection, yes hire an appraiser or look up the valuations yourself. These stamps typically are rare for inverted print, misregistered colors, bad die cuts, etc.

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
Im very interested in this as well. I inherited my dads stamp collection 2 years ago. Its quite large and takes up a significant amount of space as he collected all his life. Coins as well.. any referral would be greatly appreciated.
These guys are also near my office. They're an old coin auction house that does appraisals too.
http://www.stacksbowers.com/home/contactus.aspx

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
A lot of countries whose economies were not too well off started producing stamps for collectors in vast quantities in the 70's- I'm not sure if Iran was amongst them. But for example, Seychilles. Maldives, Indonesia, Dominica,Grenada etc.
These will invariably be uncancelled unless they were FDOIs, because they exported more stamps than letters were ever mailed from these little countries during that period.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
A lot of countries whose economies were not too well off started producing stamps for collectors in vast quantities in the 70's- I'm not sure if Iran was amongst them. But for example, Seychilles.
Yeah, I remember those gold inked elaborate stamps with the embossed envelope package from tiny republics I never heard of.

loved the metallic ones as a kid:
Forehead Publication Art Creative arts Collage

Reminds me of the gimmick "limited: comic movement in the 90s (embossed, special editions, variant covers) all worthless. Can't give my 200 copies of Maxx 1 away. Now my Silver age collection on the other hand...

Attachments

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
Yeah, I remember those gold inked elaborate stamps with the embossed envelope package from tiny republics I never heard of.

loved the metallic ones as a kid:
View attachment 63276

Reminds me of the gimmick "limited: comic movement in the 90s (embossed, special editions, variant covers) all worthless. Can't give my 200 copies of Maxx 1 away. Now my Silver age collection on the other hand...
You have the exact same album as me except mine is brown instead of black. I just opened mine and found four never-used FDOI postcards from the US Coast Guard Cutter Eagle- remember picking them up shipboard in Seattle in 1978, I had long forgotten about that! Can't mail anything for 14 cents anymore! She's in New London now, might be time to take my Boy to see what a tall ship is supposed to look like.

·
Right-wing Sith
6,697 Posts
Maybe BBC Stamp & Coin in Setauket is still around.

185 Main St # 1
East Setauket, NY 11733
Phone: (631) 751-5662

Contact one of the big stamp clubs like the following to see if they can refer you to someone.

American Philatelic Society
http://stamps.org/Home

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.