Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What spotting scopes are you guys using?

Would you like to see some information on scopes? Perhaps some reviews?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't have a spotting scope, but I am looking to buy one.  My friend has one and it looks like the Hubble Telescope.  Every time we go to the range there are so many issues when setting it up.  I end up using my eyes as my setting scope.  I am thinking about Nikon.  I heard good reviews.  Does anybody have any suggestions on models/brands?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tony,

Depending on what distance and caliber you are looking to use it for, there are many good scopes out there. Obviously, the further you are shooting, the better the scope has to be. Also, the smaller calibers leave smaller holes and require greater magnification and clarity.

I have a Celestron C90 MAK. It is a large scope, however, if you are shooting .17 or .22 at 200 yards you need all the help you can get.

This is a link to reviews on a few scopes.

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Catadioptric-or-Mirror-Scopes.php

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I had a few hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocked and so I wanted to buy a decent spotting scope today.

I went to Dick's in Smithaven Mall. They had a total of one spotting scope. A Burska for $169. It had no eye relief and the optical quality was pretty bad.

Then I went to Chesters in Ronkonkoma. They had one spotting scope. A used Bushnell for $119. It had decent eye relief but the chromatic abberation at high magnification was pretty bad and it was quite long and unweildely. Chester's mom said to come during the week when Chester is there. She said they had more but are out of them and Chester may order one for me. She also said that when Chester went on a hunting trip to B.C., he saw a really good spotting scope..

Then I went to Suffolk Sportsman in Smithtown. They had also had a total of one spotting scope, a Remington for $110. It was small but the optical quality was pretty dismal. The owner said that they do not sell any and so they do not stock them. He himself has a $800 scope.

So my question is: Where can I buy a good spotting scope on Long Island? I would like to see through it before I buy it so I am not particularly interested in mail order.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I really have not seen many spotting scopes at local stores. If I come across any I will post back. If you are ever in CT or PA try stopping at Cabelas, they have a large selection and setup to try out.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ligun said:
I had a few hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocked and so I wanted to buy a decent spotting scope today.

I went to Dick's in Smithaven Mall. They had a total of one spotting scope. A Burska for $169. It had no eye relief and the optical quality was pretty bad.

Then I went to Chesters in Ronkonkoma. They had one spotting scope. A used Bushnell for $119. It had decent eye relief but the chromatic abberation at high magnification was pretty bad and it was quite long and unweildely. Chester's mom said to come during the week when Chester is there. She said they had more but are out of them and Chester may order one for me. She also said that when Chester went on a hunting trip to B.C., he saw a really good spotting scope..

Then I went to Suffolk Sportsman in Smithtown. They had also had a total of one spotting scope, a Remington for $110. It was small but the optical quality was pretty dismal. The owner said that they do not sell any and so they do not stock them. He himself has a $800 scope.

So my question is: Where can I buy a good spotting scope on Long Island? I would like to see through it before I buy it so I am not particularly interested in mail order.
As IRWFO mentioned about seeing .223 holes at 200 yards, it is important for you to know what you are looking for in a scope. If you want to see slug holes at 100 yards you can do that with binoculars. If you want to see .17HMR holes at 300 yards you are going to need a nice scope.

Best bet, try a few peoples scopes out. Don't forget, you are going to need to spend some $$ on a GOOD tripod also. DO NOT buy a cheap tripod (stand or rest). You could put a $2,000 scope on the wrong base and you might as well be Stevie Wonder looking through it.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I use Champions Choice brand spotting scope for high power shoot and Tasco for short distance.  I really like Champion's choice as it gives clear view and inexpensive compared to Kowa and others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.