Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

· Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
I took my husband to Bosnia, about 14 years ago to show him where I come from. We were sitting in a coffee shop when he nudged me gently and quietly asked "how is she going to drink that"? I looked over and saw a woman in a burka with a cappuccino in front of her. To this day I do not know how she managed it.

I am not about to bash anybody's culture, but I have never seen anybody in a burka in my home town until about 15 -20 years ago. It was not in our culture. But apparently it is now. Everywhere.

Reactions: gopedxr7

· Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
The funniest thing I ever heard in Bosnia were Bosnian Muslims referring to the women in burkas as ninjas.... And UN peacekeepers as smurfs.

· moved to greener pastures
10,824 Posts
I took my husband to Bosnia, about 14 years ago to show him where I come from. We were sitting in a coffee shop when he nudged me gently and quietly asked "how is she going to drink that"? I looked over and saw a woman in a burka with a cappuccino in front of her. To this day I do not know how she managed it.

· Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
They don't want you to see anything because it will cause you to get sexually turned on.
Seriously.
I don't have a problem with it. Religions historically have wacky dress codes. Nuns used to wear habits, ultra conservative Jews have their duds, Amish, etc. Demonstrating faith in God with wacky outfits is no big deal. Demonstrating faith in God by killing unarmed women and children IS a big deal.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
Many moons ago, I saw the start of the Iranian revolution. Burka's came to me like some sort of electrical shock. Scared the crapola out of me. But even worse were the passports of a "woman" in full regalia. We had no way of determining who the hell it was without a major production involving women officers, hidden search rooms etc. So they all just skated into the US of A by the THOUSANDS. I got to the point of just saying "Welcome to America". Just like the BP guys on the Mexican border today, 40 years later. We all just gave up.

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
They never need napkins or toilet paper.
I was part of the decommissioning crew on my first ship, an old DD. The Pakistani Navy was taking her from us and they slowly assigned crew to transition her over to their flag.
Of the many things we were not accustomed to, it took us about 2 weeks to realize that the head (bathroom) nearest our berthing (bedroom) seemed to never need the TP replaced. All of a sudden the whole "they eat, shake, work...everything with one hand" thing made sense. These guys were bird bathing after they used the can. No TP, just some splashy and air dry...
Might be ok for them but it was a huge skeeve factor for us.

· Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
To be clearer, I think you saw a Niqab, not a Burka.

Thanks for clearing this up. Dupatta and Hijabs were common back home among the grandmas. I can probably count on one hand how many younger women I saw covered up in 20 years of my life in Sarajevo. Up until the war when all variations of cover sprung up in high numbers. What is interesting to me is that these women did not grow up like this, and were not raised like this. The tradition died with the fall of the Ottoman Empire.

Bosnian Muslims I grew up with, who saved my life in numerous occasions during the war and fed and protected my non-Muslim family were all concerned when the foreign soldiers came to fight. There was no similarity between the middle eastern and Bosnian Muslims. I have not visited Bosnia for more than a decade, but I bet that both variations of Islam exist there. Which one is going to win is unknown. Some of my friends drank and some did not, some ate pork and some did not, but they all dated and married whomever they wanted to regardless of religion, and nobody covered themselves or treated their wives with disrespect.

In a country ravaged by a brutal war, with no industry to speak of, no prospects what so ever, I can see young, poorly educated people being easily indoctrinated. What I do not understand is why is it happening here? I do not understand how and why American, Canadian, or Brittish born kids can become indoctrinated and radicalized. What is it that pushes them over the edge?

Reactions: Hannco
1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.