Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished doing some barrel jeweling on the Para 9mm Warthog I traded with Genghis Khan for here are some pictures:

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Steve, I forgot how to make the photos come up automaticlly, help

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pat for fixing that, what am I doing incorrectly when I post from photobucket?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
AIRBRUSHART.  I have a question...  Back in my hot rod days in the '60's, we made custom engine gage panels with a process called "engine turning".  A round, slightly gritty object similar to a pencil eraser was put in a drill press and rotated briefly against a polished surface causing what looks like what I see in your 'pics.  I know that you make a living doing this and I am not asking you to divulge any trade secrets, but is this the basic idea for "jeweling"?  Thanks.

·
Registered
721 Posts
engine turning and jeweling is the same process. This work looks top notch. Very nice.

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm also from the "60's" and raced on the streets as well as Westhampton, NY national & Islip drag strips, and yes its done the same way as gauge panels, only difference is I use a machinist drill press vise and have found that a quarter turn on my vise positions it for the next jewel, and you are correct we did call it engine turning. I don't make a living doing this, just like to play around and make my stuff a little different. A couple of things if you want to give it a try, the surface you plan to jewle must be polished to a high luster, next I use vale grinding compound 120 grit, wire wheels which I put heat shrink on so they don't flay out, or I use cratex wheels in a holder, these work good on a flat surface, this was my first rounded surface so the patterns are different than the jeweling on the LC9 & the S&W 629 hammer & trigger. In the 60's on flat panels I remember using 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper on the end of a dowel rod, do remember using valve grinding compound back then as well. As a matter of fact I still have more than 3/4 of a can of the same stuff that I use now.

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pat test to see I did it correctly, yes, now I have to remember how to do it

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Thanks gentlemen. That is some pretty work. The more things change, the more they remain the same.
Labor intensive is the word here. Ahh maybe when I retire....

·
Banned
24,899 Posts
Photobucket has all the codes listed, just copy and paste it and your done. I just learned that you can't move the pic or it will disable the link, being that it's now in a different place.

Works from iPhone and iPad :)

·
Banned
3,395 Posts
OK FINE I'll ASK!!!!!!!! Since Nobody else will........
It looks great so ,How much do you want and where do I drop off my .45 barrel to you???

Jeez, everybody just ignore that white elephant in the room.......

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you guys for all the comments, only makes me want to do more stuff...............

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pat, you will need to talk to my agent at 944 Willis Ave, by appointment only! LOL :donald

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.