Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just lost my post into never never land all 3 paragraphs. Shorter version. We decide on a $0.00 out of pocket lease. I decider to go with Vivint solar over Solar city who in 2013 refused to adjust issues with their contract at that time. We used 15kw of eletric and had a 13kw system install, those are rounded up numbers. My house faces South and capable of holding an 18kw system. In January PSE&G put 2 way meter on home. 1st PSE&G bill is $10.83, 1st solar bill $170.00 last year eletric bill was over $500.00 for this same time last year. My meter has back up 1000kw since PSE&G allowed panels to go on line in May. Vivint does not use converters on the side of your house, their panels are individually equipped so straight AC come off the roof in the meter. I've learned a few things and share as time goes on.

Reactions: gettingfedup

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
I just lost my post into never never land all 3 paragraphs. Shorter version. We decide on a $0.00 out of pocket lease. I decider to go with Vivint solar over Solar city who in 2013 refused to adjust issues with their contract at that time. We used 15kw of eletric and had a 13kw system install, those are rounded up numbers. My house faces South and capable of holding an 18kw system. In January PSE&G put 2 way meter on home. 1st PSE&G bill is $10.83, 1st solar bill $170.00 last year eletric bill was over $500.00 for this same time last year. My meter has back up 1000kw since PSE&G allowed panels to go on line in May. Vivint does not use converters on the side of your house, their panels are individually equipped so straight AC come off the roof in the meter. I've learned a few things and share as time goes on.
Instead of a large invertor being fed by the solar panel array, each panel on your system has an invertor.
There are pros and cons to each.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Instead of a large invertor being fed by the solar panel array, each panel on your system has an invertor.
There are pros and cons to each.
Anybody know what the maintenance/replacement intervals are on these?

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Good question.
I decided to go with the big invertors because I feel haveing so many little ones increases failure points.
Are these parts that wear out and have to replaced after a time? I can see that running into come money.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vivint system is transferable for balance left of 20 year contract or you can buy them out at pro rate price during or at the end of contract. If new home owner does not want, the system is removed at the $400.00 fee for removal, storage, and reinstallion clause on roof maintance. 100% of maintance is their responsibility, panel production I believe has to stay at or above 80% or they're replace panel. The reason for individual converters is they feel they will last longer than the larger converters which get hotter handling and converting large amounts of eletricity, hence greatly reducing their usable lifespan. Anyone ever hear a transformer go bang.

Reactions: Destro

·
Registered
750 Posts
Vivint system is transferable for balance left of 20 year contract or you can buy them out at pro rate price during or at the end of contract. If new home owner does not want, the system is removed at the $400.00 fee for removal, storage, and reinstallion clause on roof maintance. 100% of maintance is their responsibility, panel production I believe has to stay at or above 80% or they're replace panel. The reason for individual converters is they feel they will last longer than the larger converters which get hotter handling and converting large amounts of eletricity, hence greatly reducing their usable lifespan. Anyone ever hear a transformer go bang.
Vivint sales rep wouldn't tell me the buy out cost when I asked. I told him without that number I wouldn't even consider. It turned out to be around $20k. He said just sell your house for $20k more and it's no big deal.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I did as well. I've read also that you pay for what the panels produce not what you use from the panels. If they oversize your system or come winter you are using less energy, you are still paying for all the energy the panels produce. Any insight from those with a leased system. I purchased a system that should cover all my usage and I pay a steady $170 a month for the loan with interest until the loan is paid off. That is considerably less than my former electricity bill, half for some months.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I did as well. I've read also that you pay for what the panels produce not what you use from the panels. If they oversize your system or come winter you are using less energy, you are still paying for all the energy the panels produce. Any insight from those with a leased system. I purchased a system that should cover all my usage and I pay a steady $170 a month for the loan with interest until the loan is paid off. That is considerably less than my former electricity bill, half for some months.
It's hard (for me) to explain. Yes, you pay for the power it produces. However any power that's produced and not used gets fed back to PSEG and they in turn "purchase" it from you. That's the short version of a complicated agreement.

Before having mine installed I spoke with several who have already gone with Vivint and all said they came out ahead on the electrical bills.

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
It's hard (for me) to explain. Yes, you pay for the power it produces. However any power that's produced and not used gets fed back to PSEG and they in turn "purchase" it from you. That's the short version of a complicated agreement.

Before having mine installed I spoke with several who have already gone with Vivint and all said they came out ahead on the electrical bills.
Have you converted your home lighting to LED or are you using incandescent and CFL still?

·
Registered
750 Posts

PSEG buys back at 8 cents or kWh but I think you are paying more. I read many of the complaints an they seem to be about this issue. In the low usage months people are paying for energy they aren't using and their bills are higher than in similar months years past.

Take it for what's it's worth a I have no personal data to support any of this. In just reading the fine print, asking lots of questions, doing some research and looking at all possible scenarios, it didn't seem right for me.

I hope it works out and delivers the savings you are looking for, sincerely. More money for hobbies!

·
Banned
2,781 Posts
Like I said... If I were looking to buy a house and I was choosing between one with leased panels and one that didn't have them.... I would choose without.
I also find signing a 20yr contract for a product like this to be crazy, especially the way technology changes.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.