Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I bought 15 boxes of Blazer 230 gr. 45 ACP from Palmetto. Last weekend I used a good chuck of it at a 2 day course. While we were doing some malfunction drills I noticed that the round at the top of the mag in my hand was short. When reloading mags at the next break I started noticing others that were visibly shorter than the others. I started setting them aside.

Sure enough, when I got home and put a caliper on them many measured less than 1.2 inches. Some were as short as 1.109. In total there are about 30 out of 750 round that were under 1.2 inches.

I called CCI/Speer, who makes Blazer. They told me not to shoot them as they were too short and the pressure may be to high and I should contact the seller.

Today the seller told me to contact Blazer.

So much for customer service all around. Lesson learned. No more Palmetto State and no more Blazer, which is sad since I've been happy with both in the past.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I would call CCI/Speer again and speak to some one else up the chain of command. If a catastrophic
failure should occur due to increased pressure and it results in serious injury or worse and CCI/Speer knew
they were distributing faulty ammunition, the legal ramifications would be enormous.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Seems to be the norm lately, seller says contact manufacturer, manufacturer says contact seller.

·
Marine Corps. Veteran
2,247 Posts
That's a quality control issue.
What does the seller have to do with it?
Sad.
I have been using Blazer ammo for years with never a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first time I called Speer they said that it happens when something heavy is dropped on top of the box and if I looked inside the box I might see the head stamp pressed into the cardboard. I looked and I do see that some of the boxes do have an imprint of the base of the round in the cardboard. So Speer is saying that it left their factory intact and was damaged in handling. Maybe, maybe not. I'm inclined to believe them because of the head stamp pressed into the box.

Given the number of rounds affected and the value of my time, I'm not inclined to really bother too much more. There is no shortage of dealers or manufacturers. I bought this because I couldn't reload fast enough (still relatively new to it and like to go slow) to supply the two courses I had planned for last weekend and this weekend. There was a third possible for next weekend too, but that was cancelled so next weekend will see some loading bench time and I'm comfortable enough to start picking up the pace.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
[sub]The damage could of happened anywhere in the chain. From manufacture to final shipment to customer. The fact is Speer should stand behind their product as it is there name on the box....... Call them back if for no other reason than to give them the code on the box so they can track more issues.......[/sub]

·
III%
1,882 Posts
Honestly, my opinion.. PSA should stand behind things they sell... they are a DEALER.. If a customer isnt happy with the product, they return it to the store they purchased it from and the DEALER takes it up with the MANUFACTURER... its on PSA to make it right.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
The first time I called Speer they said that it happens when something heavy is dropped on top of the box and if I looked inside the box I might see the head stamp pressed into the cardboard. I looked and I do see that some of the boxes do have an imprint of the base of the round in the cardboard. So Speer is saying that it left their factory intact and was damaged in handling. Maybe, maybe not. I'm inclined to believe them because of the head stamp pressed into the box.
If an impact drove the bullets back that far then they weren't crimped properly. Properly crimped bullets will have a slight ring around the head. You should not be able to set the head back by "casual" impact. If you could then the bullets would be set back in the magazine from the recoil.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
If an impact drove the bullets back that far then they weren't crimped properly. Properly crimped bullets will have a slight ring around the head. You should not be able to set the head back by "casual" impact. If you could then the bullets would be set back in the magazine from the recoil.
This is correct. Recoil in the magazine would cause issues if this is the case.

It's up to CCI/Speer to make this right, not PSA. When a bad round blows up you pistol the manufacturer of the pistol goes after the ammo company, not the dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts