Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I post this with hesitation, but what the hell. If it ain't appropriate it'll get deleted.

A little over six months ago I presented a thesis in some undergraduate class at some college to a small crowd of people of mixed age and background.

Essentially, the thesis was a large collab of a handful of related research papers I wrote that more or less amounted to my angle on gun ownership as it pertains to legislation and politics within the United States, with a couple of points tossed in that I aimed to prove or disprove.

I started it a few years ago and played around with up until last winter when I finally got the motivation (easy A) to put my thoughts together and get it all down on paper, and the response from my peers was surprising, to say the least. The audience was a mix of individuals on both ends of the liberal/conservative extremes including active 2A supporters that regularly attended rallies along with people who actively opposed 2A supporters, including an individual involved in the My Sister's Keeper project that had actively campaigned against various forms of gun ownership.

I was thoroughly impressed with the meaningful dialogue that followed, carrying on for some hours. But, I digress. It was suggested to me by a professor that I present my project to other groups. The entire project was mostly verbal, with the use of audio/visual presentations, but I figured I'd just upload the text here as a start for whoever might be interested in critiquing. I'm wondering if it's worth taking it any further and expanding on it for future courses should the topic become relevant again.

In the paper I tackle a handful of interesting things; a brief historical analysis on 'gun culture', analyzing some pro-gun/gun control arguments, active shooters and gun-free zones, "assault weapons", the NRA, Hurricane Katrina, the Weschester and Rockland County fiasco, Various issues with the SAFE act including registries and 'evil features', the magazine argument, concealed carry, illicit firearms, the concept of total gun bans, law enforcement, self-defense, the fallacy of comparing statistics between two or more countries, the complexity of more guns = less crime or vice versa, the AR-15, interpreting 2A, Fast & Furious, potentially positive approaches to 'gun control' and more.

Just a disclaimer for the die-hard 2A defenders out there: it is a moderate-views paper, I do humor some liberal ideology so if you find it offensive, please excuse me. For the most part I make an effort to remain neutral.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm hoping to gain by posting this here. Open discussion, criticism, factual errors, argument, I welcome all of it. Thanks a ton to anyone who puts aside the time to read it, I hope you enjoy.

Gun Politics in the United States

·
Black Robe Regiment Immigration without assimilati
8,064 Posts
And the reason I'd be interested in reading this is...............?
You rotated your sock draw yesterday and tomorrow you're busy doing that again but tonight you're free to frolic.
Humoring Liberals, what could go wrong?

I know, it gives them a stage for their Kabuki Theatre.

Reactions: SOUTHSHOREROB

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I post this with hesitation, but what the hell. If it ain't appropriate it'll get deleted.

A little over six months ago I presented a thesis in some undergraduate class at some college to a small crowd of people of mixed age and background.

Essentially, the thesis was a large collab of a handful of related research papers I wrote that more or less amounted to my angle on gun ownership as it pertains to legislation and politics within the United States, with a couple of points tossed in that I aimed to prove or disprove.

I started it a few years ago and played around with up until last winter when I finally got the motivation (easy A) to put my thoughts together and get it all down on paper, and the response from my peers was surprising, to say the least. The audience was a mix of individuals on both ends of the liberal/conservative extremes including active 2A supporters that regularly attended rallies along with people who actively opposed 2A supporters, including an individual involved in the My Sister's Keeper project that had actively campaigned against various forms of gun ownership.

I was thoroughly impressed with the meaningful dialogue that followed, carrying on for some hours. But, I digress. It was suggested to me by a professor that I present my project to other groups. The entire project was mostly verbal, with the use of audio/visual presentations, but I figured I'd just upload the text here as a start for whoever might be interested in critiquing. I'm wondering if it's worth taking it any further and expanding on it for future courses should the topic become relevant again.

In the paper I tackle a handful of interesting things; a brief historical analysis on 'gun culture', analyzing some pro-gun/gun control arguments, active shooters and gun-free zones, "assault weapons", the NRA, Hurricane Katrina, the Weschester and Rockland County fiasco, Various issues with the SAFE act including registries and 'evil features', the magazine argument, concealed carry, illicit firearms, the concept of total gun bans, law enforcement, self-defense, the fallacy of comparing statistics between two or more countries, the complexity of more guns = less crime or vice versa, the AR-15, interpreting 2A, Fast & Furious, potentially positive approaches to 'gun control' and more.

Just a disclaimer for the die-hard 2A defenders out there: it is a moderate-views paper, I do humor some liberal ideology so if you find it offensive, please excuse me. For the most part I make an effort to remain neutral.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm hoping to gain by posting this here. Open discussion, criticism, factual errors, argument, I welcome all of it. Thanks a ton to anyone who puts aside the time to read it, I hope you enjoy.

Gun Politics in the United States
Sorry guy. First full paragraph of page two.
You are wrong.
Apparently you have never read the Federalist Papers.
Never went passed that, so I don't know what you've got in the other 33 pages or so.
Start over.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
Following the Newtown shootings, the public became so disgusted at firearm dealers and manufacturers that numerous manufacturing facilities were moved from the Northeast, and a number of other dealers
5 / 35
refuse to do business in New York and other surrounding states (Ghosh, 2014).
I'm going to stop reading the paper at this point because the above is incorrect in its premises and because if I keep finding more inconsistencies like that my response will be longer than the paper.
It wasn't "public disgust" but legislative malfeasance that created yet more laws burdening gun manufacturers and owners. It can be successfully argued that gun manufacturers, like any other manufacturer, are in business to make a profit and it can also be argued that the Northeast isn't very conducive to manufacturing businesses because of burdensome regulation and taxation. Combined with an anti gun attitude why would any manufacturer remain in the northeast when there are many other states willing to have them?
Gun dealers and retailers refused to business in New York because they couldn't figure out the SAFE act. Can you sell a 10 round magazine or only a 7? Can you have this bit of plastic on your rifle or did that make it an "assault weapon"? Business doesn't like uncertainty and would rather not do business than risk exposing themselves to vague rules and regulations, especially when it comes to rules and regulations written by legislatures that have an agenda against your type of business.
That is all...

·
Listen up,I don't dial 911.
3,586 Posts
Is this a grad or undergrad paper?
Was this a Junior college or Ivy league or a trade school like De Vry? and as a side note I would venture to say 100%of the members here would give up their guns..........when you pry them from their cold dead hands.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Damn, so now I gotta start reading this to see where it goes wrong, if it goes wrong?

I too read the first full para on page two. And just the simple history was wrong. Wasn't Bunker Hill (and the battle was actually fought on Breeds Hill on June 17, 1775, but I digress)where the war "started;" the war "started" on Lexington Green and then spread to Concord Bridge and then from Concord all the way back to Boston on April 19, 1775. The Redcoats were there (remember, at the time everyone was "British") to capture a couple of rebels and confiscate arms and powder that were reported to have been stored there. Bunker Hill came two months later, after the rebels had surrounded Boston and put it under siege.

I worry that if simple history is wrong.....

But I'd have to read more.

It's an ambitious, very ambitious undertaking....and tough to do, trying to encompass 240 years of politics, industrial history, sociology, law, changing public opinions, changing needs, the economy, and god knows what else in a paper. It would be tough to do in a big book.

I'll start...we'll see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.