Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first things I notice are an innordinate amount of Prius cars and a Tesla Taxi. The next thing I notice is the large amount of homeless people which are at least 50% young people (under 25) that could be good workers if not for the lack of motivation. A lot of these homeless kids also have dogs (I would guess 1/3 of the dogs were pitbulls). In my walking around the city I see a lunch time feeding station pop up in the park to feeed the homeles who do their part to show up. At one point in the afternoon there were two midle age women in orange vests hauling a wagon around with sandwiches to find the homeless too lazy to show up at the park. Talk about enabling!
Everyone in this town was nice, polite and mellow - even the pitbulls. I ran into some conservative types in the bars/restaurants that made me feel normal but I also ran into a nice old Liberal couple that I had a long conversation with. I wanted to understand how/why they thought the way they did. I didn't argue jsut a plesant Q&A about values and beliefs. In thend their side was "it's all Bush's fault and people that are prejudiced against the first black President" . I countered with "He is the worst manager ever and would not make it in a real job and I would vote for that dog over there before I voted for Hilliary".It would take some serious shock therapy to neutralize that kind of stupid.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Dude, you're in hipster central. Probably tons of kale shakes, hippie skateboarders, bands, progressive book/coffee shops, and drugs, drugs, drugs...and lots of young homeless druggies

Be careful, the progressive hipsterism might catch on. Hopefully you'll make it out!

They even made a comedy about it... (and yes, I've been there, my vegan garage band cousin lives there, though my favorite band is from Portland)

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
the kale is good, the craft beer is good. Oregon is beautiful. I also heard the coffee is good.

don't know the people.
Don't get me wrong, I love a lot about Oregon; all that you mentioned, they even have good Wine regions now. And the Pacific NW is God's country. Beautiful.

Just that Portland really has the hipster capital reputation...and it's really earned. Plus more homeless druggies than anywhere else on the continental US (like Seattle in the 90s). It's often considered the Heroin and Meth capital of the US nowadays.

Portland Homeless Crisis - they actually publicly funded "Homeless schools" but overflowed capacity.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland-homeless/

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
The dunes are gorgeous, the nature is breathtaking, but it is the west coast, so very liberal/social oriented. Maybe not so much in the interior, I do not know, but certainly in Portland.
In BC, just a bit north of there, government pays homeless people for the dogs they keep. More dogs you have, more money you get. I am not sure if Oregon does the same thing, but I would not be surprised if they do.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
The dunes are gorgeous, the nature is breathtaking, but it is the west coast, so very liberal/social oriented. Maybe not so much in the interior, I do not know, but certainly in Portland.
In BC, just a bit north of there, government pays homeless people for the dogs they keep. More dogs you have, more money you get. I am not sure if Oregon does the same thing, but I would not be surprised if they do.
Yep, Vancouver, Seattle, Portland....alll beautiful cities in gorgeous settings...all notorious for the huge druggie and homeless problems with the kiddies and social programs and community that enables them.

Vancouver is one of my favorite cities in N. America. One of the largest serial killers (the pig farm guy Rob Pickton) got all his victims from it's downtown young scene, throwing big parties for the druggies on his pig farm outside of town. No one missed the poor girls.

Heroin, meth, it's like grunge never left these areas. But these cities were attractive to young people and still have a lot to offer, but it got out of hand.

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the 'homeless' offered to sell me cannibus or tincture.

Reactions: Destro

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
One of the 'homeless' offered to sell me cannibus or tincture.
Next time ask them if they have any tasty "Blueberry Indica" or "MK Ultra"..or "Triple Diesel"...def triple D..

Nah, it's a cool city if you just ignore the politics and look past the hipster silliness. Get some good food at a gastro pub and get a nice tall craft brew and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
If you get a chance and have wheels, drive out east along 84, IIRC, along the Columbia River. There's a scenic/historic highway that veers off and goes up into the hills. Check out Multnomah Falls. There are some others too, but Multnomah is the bestest. Then hit Mt. Hood. It's breathtaking out there.

http://www.oregon.co...multnomah_falls

As for me, I'm in Virginia Beach in a Holiday Inn that is in the flight path for NAS Oceana. IT's been a steady parade of Hornets ever since I got here.

I'm here for this class: http://www.costaludus.com/index.php?route=training/view&path=61

Driving here with 2 handguns and 2k rounds of .45 hand me really nervous since I had to pass through gun hating NYC, gun hating NJ, gun hating DE, and gun hating MD.

but I made it and get to listen to F-18s all night.

Reactions: Destro
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.