Long Island Shooters Forum banner

sniper scope

6K views 44 replies 32 participants last post by  Dasgreif 
#1 ·
#2 ·
$99.00 for a high power scope? I would be skeptical. I'd shop around for a Nikon 3-9x, if I was looking for a High Power scope. If you want a real Scope for a sniper's rifle, you want an Unertl 10x, but that's money.

It's also IMO, too much scope for a 5.56 rifle- I just put a 4x NcStar on my AR, and I am pretty happy with it, and the price was right:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RWW8FU/ref=oss_product

Ramone

#4 ·
yea, I figured as much but didn't know if anyone had seen this one or thier thoughts on barska in general. Everyone says equate the money with the quality etc. I just wondered if any of these things hold zero. thanks forthe feedback. Yea Rammone, of my other buddys said same thing why put sniper on an assault rifle. He's trying to get me to get a sniper rifle per se, but if i do i might need it to defend myself in divorce court lol

#5 ·
jimmyjames said:
yea, I figured as much but didn't know if anyone had seen this one or thier thoughts on barska in general. Everyone says equate the money with the quality etc. I just wondered if any of these things hold zero. thanks forthe feedback. Yea Rammone, of my other buddys said same thing why put sniper on an assault rifle. He's trying to get me to get a sniper rifle per se, but if i do i might need it to defend myself in divorce court lol
One thing to consider is the fact that the msrp is $300.00. I would call and ask their return policy, if they take it back no questions asked, I would buy it, try it and go from there

#6 ·
#7 ·
the funny part is the label, "sniper scope", intended to sell product.  that thing has as much to do with sniping as my index finger.

#8 ·
I put the barska varmint scope on a mauser, I was surprised by the quality. It geta a wee bit fuzzy when you dial past 16 power.

#9 ·
The Robfather said:
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx
I guess you index finger is more accurate than your ak's...lol

#10 ·
The Robfather said:
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx
Really good recommendation here, OP. I've read a lot of reviews on Vortex optics and all of them have been good.

www.opticsplanet.com has them for under MSRP.

#12 ·
Hey gents, I just checked out the nightforce nxs 5.5x22x56 nice scope but I just did not have all the features I was looking for. Low and behold the sales guy said they are going to be coming out with a new scope over the winter hopefully by the shot show. It will have the front focal plane! I'm holding out for the new one. It will have all the same features zero stop mil mil paralax... One thing I found out about the scopes is the eye relief remains constant regardless of the magnification setting. I don't know how they do that but it's the one for me.

#13 ·
Had a cheap Barska 3-9X40 on my 10/22 that would not focus at 25-30 yds at MF. Returned it.
http://www.barska.com/Huntmaster_Rifle_Scopes-BARSKA_3-9x40_HUNTMASTER_SCOPE_BLACK_MATTE_FINISH.html

Had this one on my SKS. Worked OK for a shorty, but discovered the mount for the SKS was poop.
http://www.barska.com/Contour_Rifle_Scopes-BARSKA_3-9x42_IR_CONTOUR_SCOPE.html
It's back in the box awaiting my AR build.

Personally I'm done with cheap glass. I have a couple of cheap BSA's that are working OK for me, but I've had to swap some of them, too. To me, it is just not worth the hassle to save a few bucks. Better glass is worth the investment.

#14 ·
vmtcmt said:
Had a cheap Barska 3-9X40 on my 10/22 that would not focus at 25-30 yds at MF. Returned it.
http://www.barska.com/Huntmaster_Rifle_Scopes-BARSKA_3-9x40_HUNTMASTER_SCOPE_BLACK_MATTE_FINISH.html

Had this one on my SKS. Worked OK for a shorty, but discovered the mount for the SKS was poop.
http://www.barska.com/Contour_Rifle_Scopes-BARSKA_3-9x42_IR_CONTOUR_SCOPE.html
It's back in the box awaiting my AR build.

Personally I'm done with cheap glass. I have a couple of cheap BSA's that are working OK for me, but I've had to swap some of them, too. To me, it is just not worth the hassle to save a few bucks. Better glass is worth the investment.
hows that .22 scope coming LOL we going tonight?

#15 ·
The Robfather said:
the funny part is the label, "sniper scope", intended to sell product. that thing has as much to do with sniping as my index finger.
Nice to know I am not the only one that annoys.

#16 ·
The Unertl 10x was used primarily for it's resistance to recoil and optical clarity but is old technology these days. Most people don't need a scope that rugged, and can get by with a consumer grade target scope.
But if you want real sniper technology these days the Leupold Mark4 series, and specifically the M3 are the modern day equivalent and have even been touted as superior to the Unertl. Lighter stronger materials and superior optics.
I just can't drop $1300 for a scope.
Don't expect too much from a $99 scope.

My 2 cents

#18 ·
Il Buono said:
Really good recommendation here, OP. I've read a lot of reviews on Vortex optics and all of them have been good.
I recently had the occasion to deal with Vortex customer service.
Let me start by saying that I am one of those people who will happily pay a bit more for better customer service and am quite vocal when it's lacking. Same with the local shops, only I'm vocal in my absense from the paticular shop.
I was minutes wway from buying a Leupold recently and had to call them with a question. "You wait time is approximately 8 minutes" was the message I got from the robo operator. See ya. That is more than enough to have me packing, I really don't care how slick a product you have. Impatient you say? Probably. Too old and cranky to change now.
Anyway - back to Vortex. I spoke to a fellow named Tom Leatherberry, who was knowledgeable, patient, very giving of his time and probably more honest than he needed to be. I was never rushed, written off or pressured.
Vortex gets a big A+ in customer service in my book.

Take a look at http://www.cameralandny.com/ for some healthy discounts on Vortex.

The Viper is being replaced in the spring with the PST and the Vipers are a pretty good deal right now. Reticle choices are limited, but if you're not dead set on a paticular one.......................

#19 ·
PandM said:
I recently had the occasion to deal with Vortex customer service.
Let me start by saying that I am one of those people who will happily pay a bit more for better customer service and am quite vocal when it's lacking. Same with the local shops, only I'm vocal in my absense from the paticular shop.
I was minutes wway from buying a Leupold recently and had to call them with a question. "You wait time is approximately 8 minutes" was the message I got from the robo operator. See ya. That is more than enough to have me packing, I really don't care how slick a product you have. Impatient you say? Probably. Too old and cranky to change now.
Anyway - back to Vortex. I spoke to a fellow named Tom Leatherberry, who was knowledgeable, patient, very giving of his time and probably more honest than he needed to be. I was never rushed, written off or pressured.
Vortex gets a big A+ in customer service in my book.

Take a look at http://www.cameralandny.com/ for some healthy discounts on Vortex.

The Viper is being replaced in the spring with the PST and the Vipers are a pretty good deal right now. Reticle choices are limited, but if you're not dead set on a paticular one.......................
Good bit of info... thanks.

#20 ·
I have quite a few (10 to be exact) sniper/tactical rifles. I primarily use Leupold MK4 scopes. If you plan to use these rifles for its intended use you better go with proven optics. With that said, on my 223 training rifle I have a SWFA super sniper scope on it. I would highly recomend this scope. It tracks really good and has real clear glass.
As a side note, If you dont know or dont plan on learning how to use a mil-dot recticle dont bother going with one. Its just extra crap that can get in the way, just go with the old duplex and dont look back.

#21 ·
Had a Unertl on my Win Model 70. When we traded for the Remington, they gave us Redfield 3-9 Accu-Tracs. Today I'd go with the Schmidt-Bender or the Leupold Mk IV, and yes, if you aren't going to learn how to use MilDot reticles, the Duplex is the best bet

#22 ·
I've got a $110 Bushnell "Bone Collector" scope on my AR, it works amazingly well for the price.  Barska's tend to be rather large and heavy for the magnification specs as well.

#23 ·
A couple of things to remember about scopes

Power is not everything.

Cheap scope powers are typically over rated. That 16X scope on Ebay for $49.99 is probably half what it claims.

Cheap glass produces distortion. Low end scopes sell by promoting themselves as high powers. High powers and cheap glass produce distortion. Round and round we go...

Names like Zeiss, Swarovski, Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold (not necessarily in that order) are hard to beat.

Don't be as impressed with super high powers. Invest in a good quality scope. Consider one with an adjustable objective.

#24 ·
Johnc said:
A couple of things to remember about scopes

Power is not everything.

Cheap scope powers are typically over rated. That 16X scope on Ebay for $49.99 is probably half what it claims.

Cheap glass produces distortion. Low end scopes sell by promoting themselves as high powers. High powers and cheap glass produce distortion. Round and round we go...

Names like Zeiss, Swarovski, Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold (not necessarily in that order) are hard to beat.

Don't be as impressed with super high powers. Invest in a good quality scope. Consider one with an adjustable objective.
+1

#25 ·
Can't say enough about the Super Sniper scopes. I have 2 and they really are great for the money. Got the last one from LIF used. I also have a Nikon Buckmaster that is great that I got for $90 clearance a couple of years ago....

What's your price point and what do you plan on using it for?

Good Luck,
Steve 'Cityrep061'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.